New neogeo game aes ?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
They should sell it to NGDev, so they can take care of it

JS

I agree, if anything is incomplete about it they need someone more experienced to work on it. We don't need another Totc Hindenburg.

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
I dunno, Warlocks of Fate didn't really look that great. Where the hell is QP? As for the sac carts I wonder what new kits they will destroy. I hope at this point they make new boxes, shells and boards.

isn't NGDEV talking with SNK to produce new shells? Instead of destroying history, make history.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
If they can't find the original developer and the proto is nowhere near complete, well...at least we won't have to bet on a preorder. XD

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Bizarre, isn't it? And this was listed on ebay weeks ago.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
yeah, HOLY SHIT is all I have to say.
It is the original 1994 version as well, not the 2000 version that N.C.I.'s release was.
(although they are nearly identical it is still worth noting here)
But it must have been a 'buy it now" listing and the seller surely miscalculated that the game would not be worth much based on his incorrect assumption that interest would be low on a "released" game.
Absolutely unbelievable.
I am still in shock.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
What are the chances of a second version of the proto popping up so soon?

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
What are the chances of a second version of the proto popping up so soon?

This is, and always has been, by far the biggest danger when it comes to unreleased prototype games.
Absolutely nobody can say with 100% certainty just how many of them are floating around in the world, mixed up and tossed among regular games (often times hidden in plain site) just sitting on dusty backroom shelves or thrown in old boxes of cartridges. The random possibility is always a very real factor to consider. There is a very fine line between priceless & worthless and when collectors (buyers & sellers alike) walk that tight rope they are always taking the ultimate risk.

For example, as I said with Ironclad, imagine if you had been holding onto the Ironclad cartridge since March of 1996, as a trophy on a shelf, and then suddenly in a New York Minute late in November of 2009, your presumed to be a one of a kind game becomes shareware. Timing isn't everything, it is the ONLY thing!

Events like this really scare the crap out of me. Completely unpredictable. It really makes you think.

And to be honest here, with all of the crazy developments and news that has been breaking lately in the NEOGEO world, it is that much more unstable. I think we have had more significant discoveries over the last 2 or 3 years then we have had in almost a decade. It seems like an average of every 2 or 3 months, more discoveries are made. With the direction we are headed in, I can only imagine where we will be in another 2 or 3 years. I predict this time in 2015, assuming the Earth is still intact, we will have at least 3 more unique lost games sitting on our shelves.

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
the neo community is in shock. As SuperGun says, there can be lots of jewels getting rust on a lost place.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
yeah, HOLY SHIT is all I have to say.
It is the original 1994 version as well, not the 2000 version that N.C.I.'s release was.
(although they are nearly identical it is still worth noting here)
But it must have been a 'buy it now" listing and the seller surely miscalculated that the game would not be worth much based on his incorrect assumption that interest would be low on a "released" game.
Absolutely unbelievable.
I am still in shock.

What did NCI need to do to the game, if that game was already a 100% working proto and they just put their name on the title screen that's kinda fucked.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
What did NCI need to do to the game, if that game was already a 100% working proto and they just put their name on the title screen that's kinda fucked.

No, I think you misunderstood. N.C.I. didn't mess with Bang Busters at all.
The game didn't need anything to be done to it, and they didn't put their name on the title screen,
or any other such thing.

Here is the timeline of the game. (a very similar history to that of Zupapa btw)

1994 -- B2B was complete and ready for release. It was location tested. It didn't do so well, perhaps as the "Bubble Bobble" genre was overdone and no longer collecting big revenues in the arcade industry. Toaplan's Snow Brothers & Snow Brothers 2, Data East's Diet Go Go, Visco's Bang Busters, Face's Zupapa, etc. The genre was too crowded. The game was shelved.

2000 -- SNK closed down, and was purchased / reorganized by another company. The new company was anxious to come up with product to show success quickly and so several older games were "resurrected", in most cases with merely the alteration of their title screen copyright lines, in order to beef up their library. Again, however, B2B was passed on.

2005 -- Xacrow comes forward with several new / never before seen screen shots of several neogeo proto games, including those of Bang Busters. These were of the 2000 version. Of course, as with anything related to Xacrow, nothing further was revealed, and the game was not really obtainable.

2010 -- N.C.I. acquires a Bang Busters proto cartridge from Visco. It is the 2000 version as well. This is the version they mass produce and release to the public. The game was 100% complete and nothing had to be done to it.

So, with regards to Warlocks, I am still as of yet not 100% certain, but I am about 99% sure that Warlocks is also a complete game. N.C.I. should not have to do anything to this game either.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
This kind of explains why you've been so negative about their future releases. Like Supergun said, Bang2 Busters was completely untampered with.

I'm pretty sure Q.P. doesn't have room for a full ground-up reprogram either. Neo Geo Freak had listed it as coming out on MVS shortly back in '97. It sounded like they were just planning to add English to that one, which is a great idea.

Last edited:

dan3skate

Quiz Detective
Have any other proto carts gone at open auction in the past? How much do you think this B2B would have pulled if it wasn't listed as a buy it now?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
This kind of explains why you've been so negative about their future releases. Like Supergun said, Bang2 Busters was completely untampered with.

Nah, my complaints are only really about Totc. I think B2B is a great game and a great addition to the Neo library.

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
Have any other proto carts gone at open auction in the past? How much do you think this B2B would have pulled if it wasn't listed as a buy it now?

1st question: no idea (not in the last 3 years)
2nd: unpredictable, as every auction. My guess is 10.000+ but could also be 800... unpredictable but definitely much higher! I would have bought it for more!

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
Quick update, the package (MVS cart) came in along with a bonus NGCD version (they threw in this CD for the order mess up) . I won't have time to play the game tonight (going on a trip) but just to update the transaction and not to keep the seller's reputation hanging.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
1st question: no idea (not in the last 3 years)
2nd: unpredictable, as every auction. My guess is 10.000+ but could also be 800... unpredictable but definitely much higher! I would have bought it for more!

For an already released proto probably not more than 200. Especially since there is more than 1 copy obviously.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
You/them can't be serious aren't you? (about the AES version I mean)

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
I think this "game" is allready known by now and everybody came to the consensus that it is a pretty big pile of shit! I mean come on a Arkanoid flash style clone? What has that to do with a Neo game? Junk it please.

Last edited:

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
The problem with this arkanoid game and the neogeo is simple and can be really seen in the video. You need a spinner/paddle to play the game.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The problem with this arkanoid game and the neogeo is simple and can be really seen in the video. You need a spinner/paddle to play the game.

I still don't know why they would choose to rip the sprites from the NES version instead of the better arcade version.

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
I would call it "proof of concept" that a game can be ported to the Neo, instead considering it a game with own identity.
If this guy improve or better change completely the graphics, add levels (this seem to have only one), and all the stuff the community expect from a Neo game (e.g. animated backgrounds, bosses and more LIFE to this demo) maybe it would be accepted as a proper game.

Meanwhile is a proof of concept, an evolved "hello world" with Taito's copyright infringements.