Finally, Im back...

neofreak696

King's Dry Cleaner
Hello all, I am not a very active forum user on any forums. But long ago I used to post on here time to time. I have been a naughty little bastard for the past 17 years since I sold my Neo-Geo AES and went straight emulation because I couldn't afford to keep up with the games and prices. Fast forward to today and I still cant keep up with prices or afford this shit. :lolz: Hell it's even way worse now. I remember buying Metal Slug 3 English AES on here when it came out. That cart is going on eBay for around $2500 now. What the fuck! Holy hell! So why am I back, well I have been slowly buying all my old video game consoles again and last night, I did it. I ordered from a guy in Japan a Neo-Geo AES console. This time around I plan on eventually getting a flash cart so I can actually play the games. Hoping I can get all of Neo Geo Dev team's games either the reprints or used on eBay sometime. Hell I know this is a BS post, but im just excited:buttrock:

The AES I got coming is a high serial Japan model. It has the Uni Bios 3.2 installed. I am going to do a S-Video mod and RCA audio out mods myself. Is Uni Bios 3.3 worth upgrading to? Also curious what has anyone's experience with a overclocked Neo-Geo been? Worth doing? Thanks...

As Arnold would say....

"Im Back"

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I seriously wouldn't even bother buying original carts anymore when the NeoSD is available. Hell you could buy 2 or 3 of them and be ahead of almost anyone who's seriously gotten into buying home carts.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Prices for the aes are insanely expensive now i wouldn't bother buying for it currently.Though,since you are getting aes soon id recommend a flash cart then such as the neosd it will let you play it all without breaking the bank.

neofreak696

King's Dry Cleaner
Prices for the aes are insanely expensive now i wouldn't bother buying for it currently.Though,since you are getting aes soon id recommend a flash cart then such as the neosd it will let you play it all without breaking the bank.

Seriously, flash cart is a must if your only interested in playing the games. If you're rich or make a good living and a collector, then by all means go for it. If I had the extra cash I'd buy original carts only. But after a divorce and paying on 3 kids, im a little strapped for cash. Gonna be a while till I can afford the flash cart, even that bastard is expensive lol. So for now I got the game that truly made me a SNK and Neo-Geo fan in the first place. I got to play it at the arcade back when it was released. Samurai Shodown, well except I got the Japanese version so Samurai Sprints ;) But with the uni bios it's all good, stoked!

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I miss being that excited about games, especially the Neo Geo...

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
I'm getting back into the game too, I'm into mvs and yeah, the prices are high now! It's still affordable but damn! I really wish I could get a copy of Knight's Chance :(

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
This is probably the best time ever to PLAY games on an AES, so you are back at the perfect time:)

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
hahaha!
that thought has entered my head many times.
just never could bring myself to sell online.
giving it away to local children has been cheaper, and less headache overall.
once bought, stuck with for life, or disposed of.
am curious to know what i'm sitting on in terms of value, lost track.
as for op, hello.

neofreak696

King's Dry Cleaner
I'm getting back into the game too, I'm into mvs and yeah, the prices are high now! It's still affordable but damn! I really wish I could get a copy of Knight's Chance :(

I hear ya, that's going to be the hardest part of all of this. I really want to get all the newer games made in the past years. Going to be exspensive and hard to do. But hoping one day to have them all.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
It's time to sell all your shit mate. Mame it up.

I'll be honest, I'm certainly thinking about it. I don't have time to game like I used to.

#dadlyf

neofreak696

King's Dry Cleaner
I'll be honest, I'm certainly thinking about it. I don't have time to game like I used to.

#dadlyf

You will regret it, trust me. Maybe the passion isn't there now, but 5/10 years down the road you will want the original experience back. Believe me, 17 years later and here I am... Unless you just sell your carts and go flash cart only? Obviously keeping any of the non official newer games you might have that I am jealous of ;)

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
You will regret it, trust me. Maybe the passion isn't there now, but 5/10 years down the road you will want the original experience back. Believe me, 17 years later and here I am... Unless you just sell your carts and go flash cart only? Obviously keeping any of the non official newer games you might have that I am jealous of ;)

Rubbish. Playing these games via other means and accurately is getting easier and easier. If your only interested in the games these is no point owning all this shit anymore. 10 years even 5 years ago we weren't there but now there is no question.

neofreak696

King's Dry Cleaner
Rubbish. Playing these games via other means and accurately is getting easier and easier. If your only interested in the games these is no point owning all this shit anymore. 10 years even 5 years ago we weren't there but now there is no question.

Well that's your opinion, and I will agree to disagree with you. After emulating for years, there is just something about having the real hardware there running the games. I don't know maybe its just me but hitting the on switch and firing up the ole CRT just makes it a awesome experience.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Well that's your opinion, and I will agree to disagree with you. After emulating for years, there is just something about having the real hardware there running the games. I don't know maybe its just me but hitting the on switch and firing up the ole CRT just makes it a awesome experience.

Right but you can use flashcarts now...

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

I became an MVS executive (like brother Wyo here) a couple of years ago after slowly aiming for the full MVS set. I hardly play them all (I just don’t have time), and now with the NEOSD I question what’s the point in owning it all...

I live near the water and want a nice boat. Maybe now’s the time to sell up. theMot’s inspiring me.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Yup this place hasn't changed at all....:lolz::lolz::lolz:

If you continue to buy the original carts while the NeoSD is available then you're a collector. You can argue you play your original carts but why continue to spend thousands on home carts (even mvs carts nowadays...) ? It has literally nothing to do with having an original experience today because of the NeoSD providing that exact experience bar the physical insertion of the original game cartridge, which once it's operating and you're playing the game is irrelevant.

People become attached to physical items and it ends up owning them in the process so when there is a perfectly adequate opportunity to rid yourself of clutter why not? seems fair.

neofreak696

King's Dry Cleaner
If you continue to buy the original carts while the NeoSD is available then you're a collector. You can argue you play your original carts but why continue to spend thousands on home carts (even mvs carts nowadays...) ? It has literally nothing to do with having an original experience today because of the NeoSD providing that exact experience bar the physical insertion of the original game cartridge, which once it's operating and you're playing the game is irrelevant.

People become attached to physical items and it ends up owning them in the process so when there is a perfectly adequate opportunity to rid yourself of clutter why not? seems fair.

I agree, that's why I plan on getting a NeoSD cart. No clutter, no selling my house and still can play on the original console. Win, win, win...

neofreak696

King's Dry Cleaner
I became an MVS executive (like brother Wyo here) a couple of years ago after slowly aiming for the full MVS set. I hardly play them all (I just don’t have time), and now with the NEOSD I question what’s the point in owning it all...

I live near the water and want a nice boat. Maybe now’s the time to sell up. theMot’s inspiring me.

Sell your carts, get a NeoSD and buy a boat. :)

When I said you would regret it I didn't mean selling the carts, but selling your AES or MVS. Again I said I am planning on getting a flash cart myself like the NeoSD.

Last edited:

ssjlance

Asked For Custom, Rank. Unsure If, I Can Be Bother
"Im Back"

It really is a great time to be into retro gaming if you aren't super anal about owning original carts.

Original hardware and flashcarts are the best combo out there. Entire reason I even got a Neo Geo and joined this miserable group of fucks (love you all); even if I could afford Metal Slug, I don't think I could justify spending what it would cost.

neofreak696

King's Dry Cleaner
It really is a great time to be into retro gaming if you aren't super anal about owning original carts.

Original hardware and flashcarts are the best combo out there. Entire reason I even got a Neo Geo and joined this miserable group of fucks (love you all); even if I could afford Metal Slug, I don't think I could justify spending what it would cost.

Exactly! This was part of my reasoning for coming back to original hardware. I already have Everdrives for my Master System, Genesis, and PC Engine. Next will be the Geo!