offical wwe thread

Lee_Rekka

Mr. Big's Thug
I never said big wrestler means automatic success, I was merely commenting the last thing these companies need to do is sign more little guys, they have enough.

Just because other people have the same complaints as me, that's not my problem. No doubt there is so much more that needs to be fixed in wrestling to bring it back to what it was, but more juniors with cringey mic skills ain't helping.

I also wound't be surprised if fammicommander said wrestling was bigger than ever now. He did once say to me something like k-1 was an unproven promotion along with Kid Yamamoto and Masato, who are probably among two of the biggest stars Japan ever had. K-1 only did shows with PRIDE and NJPW in front of 91,000 people on prime time TV. Not like this rinky dink shit NJPW does with ROH now.

Lee_Rekka

Mr. Big's Thug
Again, you don't seem to know what words mean.

WWE is orders of magnitude bigger than ROH, but ROH is closer to WWE than your local indie fed is to ROH.

And being owned by a larger corporate entity means, by DEFINITION, you are not an independent company.

If the mainstream public don't know em, they're indy.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Yes, to me, if people aren't aware you exist, you are indy, at least in the wrestling world.
What is the arbitrary line that makes "people aware"?

Half of WWE's numbers?

Three quarters?

1:1?

Because if ROH is doing 500K-1 million per week and Raw is doing 2-3 million, to me that's not a huge difference.

Considering, you know, about 10,000 people per week watch Impact on Pursuit and they're still 10X bigger than your average indie.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Ask a bunch of non wrestling fans have they heard of ROH, then ask the same non wrestling fans if they heard of WWE.

People would tell me they haven't heard of WWE, but they've heard of WWF. You'd think you'd feel validated by this, but ask them to name a wrestler from WWE/F, and they'll name one who was big when it was WWF, not WWE.

It's not the rest of the world outside of WWE's fault today's stars aren't tall. There's not a lot of technically gifted big men in wrestling, by comparison.

Wrestling isn't as popular as it once was, but it certainly seems to have expanded on the global indy scene over the last two decades with numerous companies making themselves accessible.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Wrestling as a whole is less popular because of MMA and because of the internet.

Even in the 90s a lot of idiots still thought it was real (hence the people trying to rush the ring when Hogan turned heel). The internet has proven to all but the very young or very stupid that it's all a work.

And MMA is just as carny as wrestling, so it provides that Jerry Springer trainwreck quality that wrestling fans want. But then the action inside the ring is real.

Wrestling isn't less popular because the guys are smaller. It's less popular because times have changed.

Lee_Rekka

Mr. Big's Thug
Wrestling as a whole is less popular because of MMA and because of the internet.

Even in the 90s a lot of idiots still thought it was real (hence the people trying to rush the ring when Hogan turned heel). The internet has proven to all but the very young or very stupid that it's all a work.

And MMA is just as carny as wrestling, so it provides that Jerry Springer trainwreck quality that wrestling fans want. But then the action inside the ring is real.

Wrestling isn't less popular because the guys are smaller. It's less popular because times have changed.

MMA has been going on in Japan since the mid 80's with Shooto while NJPW and AJPW among others thrived. The people who believed wrestling was real since the 80's, (unless you were a kid) is very small.

The difference was, back then people were either known as legit tough guys, or fans would say, yeah this is a work, but if shit went down for real these guys could hold their own, And most did. look at all the legit fighters the NJPW dojo produced back in the day, its crazy. Now with most of the wrestlers today, the average fan can't suspend their disbelief. Look at someone like Bruiser Brody for example, not a guy most people would want to run into, then look at the young bucks, who most high schoolers could beat up.

Times have changed, but so have the wrestlers mentality on how serious they take the business, that in turn affects how serious the fans take it.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
As far as cultural acceptability goes, Wrestling (as a concept) is very, very popular right now. Probably more acceptable as an entertainment format than it has ever been.

Also, Bill Dundee was 5'7" and drew.

Last edited:

Lee_Rekka

Mr. Big's Thug
As far as cultural acceptability goes, Wrestling (as a concept) is very, very popular right now. Probably more acceptable as an entertainment format than it has ever been.

Also, Bill Dundee was 5'7" and drew.

Wrestling has always been widely accepted ever since my time and before.

The Original Tiger Mask was 5'6, 160 and was one of, if not NJPW's biggest draw from 81 to around 84. Never said little guys couldn't draw, just said that there are to many today, and besides a few exceptions, heavyweights always outdraw smaller guys, in everything not only wrestling.

famicommander

15 Year Member
John Morrison headed back to WWE.

His run after leaving:
1X Impact Wrestling World Champion
1X AAA Mega Champion
1X AAA Latin American Champion
1X AAA World Cruiserweight Champion
1X Lucha Underground Champion
1X Lucha Underground Gift of the Gods Champion
1X Lucha Underground Trios Champion

That made him the first AAA Triple Crown Champion, which means he was the first to win all three major singles titles. But he didn't just win them all; he held all three at the same time. Also the second Lucha Underground Triple Crown Champion.

His WWE titles from back in the day:
1X ECW World Champion
3X WWE Intercontinental Champion
1X WWE World Tag Team Champion
4X WWE Tag Team Champion

famicommander

15 Year Member
Superstar Billy Graham is recovering in the hospital after suffering a heart attack. He is suffering from heart failure and will be taking heart medications the rest of his life.

In unrelated news, NXT on USA week 2 numbers are down.

Week 1: 1.179 million
Week 2: 1.006 million

Next week AEW premieres.

In related news, Impact will debut on AXS the Tuesday following Bound for Glory. They will be moving out of the Friday night slot they were airing in on Pursuit and Twitch.

Smart move, since Smackdown is moving to Fridays. Not to mention MLW on BeIn Sports, NJPW on AXS, and Women of Wrestling are also Friday night shows.

famicommander

15 Year Member
ROH has offered Matt Taven 3X what the top guys in NXT make to stay. He hasn't signed yet though, because he could still get an offer from AEW. He's close with a lot of those guys.

Scurll is expected to receive an offer similar to Taven's to stay with ROH.

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
Superstar Billy Graham is recovering in the hospital after suffering a heart attack. He is suffering from heart failure and will be taking heart medications the rest of his life.

In unrelated news, NXT on USA week 2 numbers are down.

Week 1: 1.179 million
Week 2: 1.006 million

Next week AEW premieres.

In related news, Impact will debut on AXS the Tuesday following Bound for Glory. They will be moving out of the Friday night slot they were airing in on Pursuit and Twitch.

Smart move, since Smackdown is moving to Fridays. Not to mention MLW on BeIn Sports, NJPW on AXS, and Women of Wrestling are also Friday night shows.

Any word if Impact will continue to stream on Twitch?

famicommander

15 Year Member
No more live simulcasts.

Their Twitch channel isn't shutting down but they're not running Impact weekly at the same time as on TV anymore.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Rush and Dragon Lee are gone from CMLL.

Apparently they didn't want Lee working PWG BOLA, but he did anyway. They got pissed, he told them to fuck off. Rush went with him because they're brothers and Rush was pissed off anyway.

Rush is still signed to ROH for at least four more months, and they want to keep him longer.

Dragon Lee is not signed anywhere but he's scheduled to be at the ROH TV tapings tonight.

Locking up these two long term should be the #1 priority for every wrestling promotion on the planet. They're both ridiculously good.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I gotta remember to set up the DVR to tape the AEW show. I hope they keep the replay airing as I will be tapping that (to avoid any other potential conflicts.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Matt Taven has re-signed with ROH.

NXT wanted him but ROH offered him 3X the money to work less than half as many shows.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Billy the crazy Chemtrails Bigot Corgan announced his "TV deal" today for the NWA.

Turns out he doesn't have one, and will just be uploading longer videos to the same Youtube channel he already has been.

And people still take him seriously.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
So CM Punk apparently auditioned for some backstage broadcaster-type role for WWE at Fox's insistence, and they may push WWE to hire him even though he and the company still strongly hate each other.

And AEW may try to outbid WWE to get him on Dynamite instead, but it sounds like he'd rather not work there, either, so essentially two companies may get into a bidding war for a guy neither really wants, mainly to keep him away from the other.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I heard Jack Thwagger might show up on AEW this week.

I sure hope not. Guy fuckin' sucks.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I dunno about his MMA but he definitely sucks as a wrestler.

It's hard to judge him in MMA so far. He's looked good in his first two fights in Bellator, but Coker's booked him against basically utter cans. If he was 25 instead of 37 he'd be an interesting prospect.

famicommander

15 Year Member
EFyifeCW4AAn9Xu

EFvtUqJWsAEXVBb

NWA's new studio.

They brought in Ken Anderson and Damien Sandow. Doesn't get much shittier than that.