Terraonion New Product(s) discussion thread

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
Well, when Pc Engine got released, no one was able to write cds. Time passed and we all were able to write cds.

Now we are not interested about writting cds anymore as sd is faster and more convenient. Everyone hates to swap discs at all ...

What future will deliver ? who knows :)

A wireless module to load games from your NAS/File server/PC

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Not sure if you're interested in such a thing, but Professor Abrasive (the guy making the plug-and-play Saturn ODE) is looking for a manufacturing and sales partner. The device is just about done, so out of pocket R&D should be minimal at this point. Might be a nice way to expand the Terraonion product line with a shorter timeline.

I'd certainly love to see your team sprinkle some UI magic on this device as well. :)

https://www.patreon.com/posts/back-in-action-15992494

This is what I suggested several months ago NeoSD. Please before he partners with DarkSoft....

Also, 256GB is more than I would think most people ever actually need. Wouldn't that be well over 256 Saturn games? More than one person would play in a lifetime, probably even if they play Saturn Exclusively. That's counting double and triple disc games. I think I would be OK with a 32 GB SD card loaded with Saturn games. I assume most games don't even come close to filling the capacity of one disc. So really a 256GB card is around 300 games or more.

Last edited:

neodev

Neosd Tech

PGM is very hard, because of the protections. Every single game is protected with a different protection, and some have embedded coprocessors, in fact, better and faster (ARM) than the one on the main board. Many of the later games run mostly on the cart "protection"

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
what next : Linker for Atari Jaguar or Lynx ?

:)

pva

Mega Shock!!
Retro-Bit just announced they've partnered up with Sega, and that they're launching their first products for the Genesis, Saturn and/or Dreamcast at CES. The announcement is naturally scarce on the details, but I read it to mean that they're about to launch controllers for Sega consoles with wired, USB and BT connectivity.

No official announcement as of yet, but based on their Twitter feed it seems I was right and they're indeed launching both wired and wireless BT Genesis controllers as well as some other accessories. Saturn and Dreamcast products remain still to be revealed.

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
No official announcement as of yet, but based on their Twitter feed it seems I was right and they're indeed launching both wired and wireless BT Genesis controllers as well as some other accessories. Saturn and Dreamcast products remain still to be revealed.
They've been revealed. BT and wired controllers for Saturn and Dreamcast as well as AV cables.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
The retro-bit line-up does look promising, but it's still wait and see in terms of quality. I do like that they're being comprehensive right from the start. Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast; all with video cables & AC adapters (GEN), controllers in wired USB, bluetooth, and genuine hardware configurations. Multiple colors for the controllers.

This lets you picture what they're planning for Saturn, but these are clearly legit controllers from back in the day FPO and not their product.

dnAb3T8.jpg

Here's the BT wireless one, with a real Saturn connector looks like, but clearly a mockup (this thing is rough up close).

3Gdb6Sc.jpg

Looks like DC gets an all-black SEGA Sports like:

lADUNGe.jpg

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
The retro-bit line-up does look promising, but it's still wait and see in terms of quality. I do like that they're being comprehensive right from the start. Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast; all with video cables & AC adapters (GEN), controllers in wired USB, bluetooth, and genuine hardware configurations. Multiple colors for the controllers.

This lets you picture what they're planning for Saturn, but these are clearly legit controllers from back in the day FPO and not their product.

dnAb3T8.jpg

Here's the BT wireless one, with a real Saturn connector looks like, but clearly a mockup (this thing is rough up close).

3Gdb6Sc.jpg

Looks like DC gets an all-black SEGA Sports like:

lADUNGe.jpg

Do you use the controllers or are they just for display?

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I want those wireless Saturn controllers to not suck. I wonder how many can be in use at a time without freaking each other out? Saturn Bomberman with all wireless controllers, would be dope.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
It's a huge electronics and technology trade show held annually in Vegas. The retro-bit folks are using the opportunity to announce the products from their new partnership with SEGA, which is what I was describing earlier.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
It's a huge electronics and technology trade show held annually in Vegas. The retro-bit folks are using the opportunity to announce the products from their new partnership with SEGA, which is what I was describing earlier.

Ahh got it. Thanks

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
With the SSDS3's release, how about a PCE 6 button controller that allows you to map the third button on non 6 button games?

It seems like people that don't own a SSDS3...yet, could see a need for this too.

Last edited:

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I'd like to get something like that. The normal controller is nice, but there's a decent sized library of 3 to 6 button games that would benefit. I do want to pick up Street Fighter and the default controller setting on it looks like garbage.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
With the SSDS3's release, how about a PCE 6 button controller that allows you to map the third button on non 6 button games?

It seems like people that don't own a SSDS3...yet, could see a need for this too.
With dual connectors so it works on PC Engine and Turbografx-16. Or a quick release end so it's easier to swap them than with the pin converter cables we use now.

trenton_net

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Given that there are a few of us who seriously collect physical PC-Engine media, perhaps it would be possible for the SSDS3 (or some other device or attachment) to be made which would allow users to connect a bog-standard USB CD-ROM drive to the PCE instead of the proprietary one or an SD card? The reason I ask is because for users of the physical media, it may be impractical for people to rip 100's of games to SD, and the actual the proprietary CD-ROM drives are becoming hard and hard to find parts/refurbish/fix. If we could use generic USB CD-ROM drives, we'd be able to swap them out on demand (should one break), while still benefiting from faster access times/speed.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Given that there are a few of us who seriously collect physical PC-Engine media, perhaps it would be possible for the SSDS3 (or some other device or attachment) to be made which would allow users to connect a bog-standard USB CD-ROM drive to the PCE instead of the proprietary one or an SD card? The reason I ask is because for users of the physical media, it may be impractical for people to rip 100's of games to SD, and the actual the proprietary CD-ROM drives are becoming hard and hard to find parts/refurbish/fix. If we could use generic USB CD-ROM drives, we'd be able to swap them out on demand (should one break), while still benefiting from faster access times/speed.

With USB CD Rom drives selling less and less and physical media soon maybe within the next 10-15 years being no longer, I prefer SD card or Hard Drive. Who needs to Rip 100's of games when Google is your friend. The reason most want the SD3 is because there is no optical drive. Not having to worry about disc rot, faster load times are just a few benefits. I'm all for any sd/hd/flashcart solution for these old systems.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
With USB CD Rom drives selling less and less and physical media soon maybe within the next 10-15 years being no longer, I prefer SD card or Hard Drive. Who needs to Rip 100's of games when Google is your friend. The reason most want the SD3 is because there is no optical drive. Not having to worry about disc rot, faster load times are just a few benefits. I'm all for any sd/hd/flashcart solution for these old systems.

Yeah, I have to agree here. Who knows the standard the system is using under the hood. Could be IDE, could be older, or even proprietary. Now you need to support translating of something like USB/SATA to that communication interface. May as well fix the problem and allow purists more access to affordable disk systems to continue repairing ;)

trenton_net

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Yeah, I have to agree here. Who knows the standard the system is using under the hood. Could be IDE, could be older, or even proprietary. Now you need to support translating of something like USB/SATA to that communication interface. May as well fix the problem and allow purists more access to affordable disk systems to continue repairing ;)

To be honest, I was hoping that since they got SSDS3 working with SD Cards that most of the work would have already been done already. I could imagine that if they had a USB port instead of an SD card slot, people could plug in whatever they want (SD Card reader, HDD, CD-ROM, etc) and have it work. If not right away, at least in the future with firmware updates? (wishful thinking). (^_^);