SNK’s Yasuyuki Oda Asks if Fans Would Like a Metal Slug Reboot

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
absolutely not. There's no need, it would just bastardize the series

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
Metal Slug Advance and the ngpc titles played around with the lives/single-hit kill rules by having a life bar, etc. It worked, although I prefer the 1-hit kills.

Yeah, never liked how they changed it on Metal Slug Advance. My kid seems to like it though, but probably because its the only slug on the GBA.

Pretty sure it will be released before kraut buster.

Sadly, you may be right. 4th quarter is almost here and no info since August.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Only if it was Like Metal Slug 1,2,3, & X, but filled the entire disc. Like a story mode (with no story), and 25-50GB and 100 hours of Run-n-gun Metal Slug goodness.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I’d say yes; in the end, we have nothing to loose: if it’s good, fine, if it’s bad, nobody forces us to buy it.

What we could lose are other quality titles are being passed up to do stuff nobody is going to buy. SNK might get spooked and refuse to bring back lesser known series that they might have a better gameplan for.

I.E. KOF XIV should have not been made by the team who did Fatal Fury (Oda and the people he brought from Dimps were from old Fatal Fury team). The team in the 1st place was not a fan of the series, and it showed in how the gameplay felt off and more SFIVish. If they did a series like Samurai Shodown I'd bet the team's shortcomings in KOF XIV would feel perfectly fine in that series.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
What we could lose are other quality titles are being passed up to do stuff nobody is going to buy. SNK might get spooked and refuse to bring back lesser known series that they might have a better gameplan for.
You have a rich fantasy life.

They should not make another game in a series everyone loves because it might put the kibosh on their intricately-laid plans to update Mutation Nation.

Locutus73

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Maybe I didn’t understand correctly, but this seems a shot circuit to me: they shouldn’t make this game because, if it’s bad, they could stop making games? Essentially, in order to avoid stopping making games they should stop making games? :scratch:

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Maybe I didn’t understand correctly, but this seems a shot circuit to me: they shouldn’t make this game because, if it’s bad, they could stop making games? Essentially, in order to avoid stopping making games they should stop making games? :scratch:

They shouldn't make shit games because a license is popular.
Shit games = Nobody giving a fuck.
Nobody giving a fuck = Losing money
Losing money = No new games/only popular licenses

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
If they make shit games
the popular license game = shit
the new games = shit
so again, it makes no difference

Your posts = shit

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I.E. KOF XIV should have not been made by the team who did Fatal Fury (Oda and the people he brought from Dimps were from old Fatal Fury team). The team in the 1st place was not a fan of the series, and it showed in how the gameplay felt off and more SFIVish.

Could you elaborate on these similarties, and how they compare to KOF13? If anything, I feel 14 borrowed some elements from SF5 more than (if any) from SF4, and these elements being the easier combo executions and emphasis on setups.

I do find the gameplay solid in kof14 personally, but I also understand the lack of interest in some ways, and instead of defending / discussing it, I think everyone is just eager to move on and see how KOF15 turns out at this point.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Could you elaborate on these similarties, and how they compare to KOF13? If anything, I feel 14 borrowed some elements from SF5 more than (if any) from SF4, and these elements being the easier combo executions and emphasis on setups.

I do find the gameplay solid in kof14 personally, but I also understand the lack of interest in some ways, and instead of defending / discussing it, I think everyone is just eager to move on and see how KOF15 turns out at this point.

KOF XIV is very defensive minded much like SFIV. Meaning you can't spam moves haphazardously without getting spanked for at least 50% of your life because they made the execution of combos way easier. This is similar to waiting for a mistake in SFIV and going into a vortex punish. KOF XIII has hard punishes but keeping the combos going is a lot harder making it worth taking more risks. SFV actually encourages spamming the buttons which a lot of '09'ers bitch a storm about it since SFV really doesn't have a lot of characters that can sit and wait for mistakes and punish hard.

Also they introduced more input delay compared to KOF XIII which makes it a little tougher to get by with just high speed reactions.This changes how you approach everything you do which is why I always believed a lot of KOF vets had issues with this game early on then adjusted to it because it's really a different beast.

I'm not saying they made a bad game. I am saying the game really doesn't feel quite like a KOF game. I have no doubts Samurai Shodown will be great and sell much better then KOF XIV since Sam Sho plays at a slower pace then KOF.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Yeah, my main issue with KOF14 now (besides Najd being broken as it stands in ver 3.0) is the abundance of meters in the later rounds and how it leads to continues spam of max mode combos (hit or block, doesn't matter with the amount of available meters) and matches ending after landing 2 combos. There is still plenty of room of great stuff in the middle, but as I said, I can see why is that a major problem for others.

Locutus73

Tarma's Gun Polisher

Ok, but this reasoning, generally speaking, can be applied to anything. I mean they are a company which main business is making games so their goal should always be making good games which sells. Popular series or lesser known series, if the game is bad they don’t sell, they lose money and in the end they fail as a company. I understand that popular series are a safer bet, but still… good games are good games and crappy ones are crappy, not trying for the possibility of a fail is nonsense in my book.

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Only if it was Like Metal Slug 1,2,3, & X, but filled the entire disc. Like a story mode (with no story), and 25-50GB and 100 hours of Run-n-gun Metal Slug goodness.

fuck that

I'm not buying it unless it has a 30 player online mode with perks and loot boxes

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
Maybe they should approach a new Metal Slug like a KOF '98-esque festival; have all MS characters playable and have a power up system like Gradius or KOF's Advance and Extra modes. The more powerful the weapons one chooses the less hits you can take, etc.

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
If there's any assets/data leftover from the proto of MOTW 2 I'd love to see that get completed and updated for modern systems like Natsume Atari's Ninja Warriors Once Again.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
fuck that

I'm not buying it unless it has a 30 player online mode with perks and loot boxes

Err that sounds great but you'd need to add in micro transactions for skins before I'd be interested.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Ok, but this reasoning, generally speaking, can be applied to anything. I mean they are a company which main business is making games so their goal should always be making good games which sells. Popular series or lesser known series, if the game is bad they don’t sell, they lose money and in the end they fail as a company. I understand that popular series are a safer bet, but still… good games are good games and crappy ones are crappy, not trying for the possibility of a fail is nonsense in my book.

I think the disconnect comes to I don't trust SNK to have good judgement. This is a company that made the same 1 series over and over again and drove it into the ground to the point that a lot of the hardcore fans groan when they hear another one is in production. If something else is going to be done, I would like to see it come from a team excited to do it no matter what they pick.

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
I would love to see some new platformers emerge. There's what, three?

Blue's Journey
Top Hunter
Spin Master

Oh, and Magician Lord. Oops!

Last edited: