Post Your Recent Purchases!

McColbo

Overtop Pathfinder
Do you really need to have everything connected at once? I never understood the people with 20 different fucking consoles connected to their TV's, is it so hard to get off your ass and swap a console now and again?

It's way way way easier with a switch. Got this extron switch for $50 on ebay. Everything runs through it component. Just push a button on the front for the input. No cables to swap around...I still have to get off my ass to hit the button though.

IMG_20191117_235419.jpg

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
They're all in great shape as well. Still looking for a decent player, tho. I have a Laseractive which is not great with LD quality playback, and an entry level type Sony player.
The best that I can do over here without importing seems to be a Pioneer DVL-919. But that owner is in Cape Town and doesn't want to ship to Joburg.

Yeah the LA deck isn't very good for regular LD playback. The DVL line is actually rather good. Try and grab that 919 if ya can.

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
Yeah the LA deck isn't very good for regular LD playback. The DVL line is actually rather good. Try and grab that 919 if ya can.

Avoid the Sony players; there were lots of movies that just wouldn't play, and Sony would claim that the discs were 'out of spec', which they may have been, but they would play fine in other brands.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
It's way way way easier with a switch. Got this extron switch for $50 on ebay. Everything runs through it component. Just push a button on the front for the input. No cables to swap around...I still have to get off my ass to hit the button though.

View attachment 55747

That power brick on the floor on the right is fucking terrifying.

NERDtendo

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
My daughter’s school called me and said they found an arcade game in their boiler room...I bought it.

SEGA Turbo. It was chopped and lowered, but a little elbow grease and a new power plug and it works.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
It rotates, it's specifically for wall wart plugs:

8-Outlet Rotating/Pivoting Power Strip, Cable Management, 2160 Joules Surge Protection with Flat 360 Degree Plug - 6ft Cord https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005G2SUIG/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_TdIoEb1BNV4NR

Keeping them all plugged in freaks me out too.

My daughter’s school called me and said they found an arcade game in their boiler room...I bought it.

Sweet find! How did it end up in the boiler room? Did Freddy Krueger need something to do in between murdering children? [emoji16]

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Avoid the Sony players; there were lots of movies that just wouldn't play, and Sony would claim that the discs were 'out of spec', which they may have been, but they would play fine in other brands.

I've read about that as well but my MDP-V7 model has played everythiņg that I've tried it with thus far.
Early DiscoVision titles, a variety of movies from different regions and some late releases as well. No issues there.

Last edited:

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member

8-Outlet Rotating/Pivoting Power Strip, Cable Management, 2160 Joules Surge Protection with Flat 360 Degree Plug - 6ft Cord https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005G2SUIG/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_TdIoEb1BNV4NR

Hmm Kinda neat. I used to own the old SEGA one that was made for those monster things.

Edit: I don't know why but in those Turbo pictures, I was looking at that fan and wondering how many fucking years it took to collect all that black dust. I hope you give that cab a lot of love it deserves. That bar in front of the coin slot while I know why it was put there still looks hideous.

Also noticed just now that the fan is even plugged in. I doubt you can get that much air circulation with a fan that fucking gross. It used to amaze me how some of my friends who had those kind things in their homes never cleaned them. It was always, "Oh I'll just throw it out and buy a new one.". One time my friend was in the middle of doing that and I'm like "Dude, is the motor busted?" and he's like "Nah it just doesn't blow air like it used to." Told him to give it to me for a moment, grabbed some tools, opened it up, used a can of air on it outside on the motor parts and in 20 minutes along with washing the plastic parts off with a hose and dishwater on the blades, dried it out, put it back together and turned it on and it blows like a $200.00 whore.

I had to stop from laughing at the guy at how he was amazed how well it worked. I just told him, "All you need is a simple screwdriver and some time and care and you can save yourself from wasting money."

Over the years it's amazing how people just throw things away if they don't work when almost all the time it only needs some care and cleaning to get the shit back to how they used to work. We are such a wasteful country.

I bought a vacuum cleaner from Goodwill once which new at the time was about $200.00. It was in rough shape but I plugged it in to see if it came on. Sure enough the motor ran and I could feel some slight air sucking on the unit. I took a chance and told the guy, I'll buy it for $10.00. He agreed so I got it home to begin working on it. Turns out the brush unit on the bottom had a TON of hair and whatever else fucking caught up in it.

I ended up having to take a knife to literally cut everything loose from the bottom part along with taking out the dust bin and other pieces and washing them fully. I checked the belts which were in good shape but I went to a hardware store and bought some new ones for that model. Installed everything after it dried out and now it works like brand fucking new. My total cost along with parts was about $30.00 so yeah nice score!

Last edited:

McColbo

Overtop Pathfinder
Don't worry it'll catch fire, all good mate.

Yup sure will. The reason it's out front is because I only turn it on when i'm using them. That power strip is also plugged into a switched outlet. Only power going to it when i'm in the game room.

At least if it catches fire I want a front row seat from my couch!

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I just cant stand seeing multiple consoles out in plain site. I also don't like having a bunch of power adapters hooked up at the same time. I just keep my stuff in crates and just pull out whatever I feel like playing one at a time. It just looks cleaner. I also don't like posters on my walls and I also dont like plushies and gaming memorabilia junk in display cases or on shelves. I also dont like figurines, action figures or whatever people call them.

The fact that your wives or gf's actually let you get away with having plushies out in the open worries me.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member

You need one of these
tumblr_ndjheegqrR1rppy76o2_1280.jpg
:buttrock:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've read about that as well but my MDP-V7 model has played everythiņg that I've tried it with thus far.
Early DiscoVision titles, a variety of movies from different regions and some late releases as well. No issues there.

I think the bigger issue with Sonys is that spare parts aren't readily available so if you need something more than a belt then it's unfixable. Still, that doesn't stop me from using a Panasonic player myself, and Pioneer parts are starting to dry up as well.

McColbo

Overtop Pathfinder
I just cant stand seeing multiple consoles out in plain site. I also don't like having a bunch of power adapters hooked up at the same time. I just keep my stuff in crates and just pull out whatever I feel like playing one at a time. It just looks cleaner. I also don't like posters on my walls and I also dont like plushies and gaming memorabilia junk in display cases or on shelves. I also dont like figurines, action figures or whatever people call them.

The fact that your wives or gf's actually let you get away with having plushies out in the open worries me.

Wait, how did this evolve into plushies being out in the open? I don't even own any let alone have any out in the open...I do have my old Ninja Turtles, LEGO and random other toys from my childhood in bookcases though.

To each their own. I like to be able to decide what console i'm gonna use, pull a game off of a shelf easily, just put the cart in and play. No wires to hook up, no hunting for the game I want. My wife also plays, so this way everything is ready to go for her as well. If she wants to play she can just grab a game, sit on the couch and play, that way we aren't unpacking and hooking up different consoles every other day, putting extra wear and tear on the cables etc. Or if I've just got a quick 10 min to play I don't waste that time hooking everything up and whatnot.

I will say my current setup is temporary, i'm making a bracket so the flatscreen TV will swing up out of the way in front of the CRT, and a shelving system so all the consoles are neater, cable management will be neater too, I have a couple interesting ideas for that. That's a long term project though. The walls are getting framed in and insulated as well. This is the half of my basement that I put a subfloor and flooring down in, it'll be fully finished eventually.

More importantly...what DO you like? Besides storing things in crates and pooping on peoples parades?

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member

I'm the opposite. I hate plugging in consoles, by the time I get to it I don't want to play anymore.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yea, hard work grabbing a console, power adapter, and video cable. Takes all but 5 min, if that.

McColbo

Overtop Pathfinder
Yea, hard work grabbing a console, power adapter, and video cable. Takes all but 5 min, if that.

When i'm taking a break from some other project or something and just want to play quick, I don't want the hassle. I want to grab a cart, grab a beer, and play.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I gravitate toward whatever's plugged in, so I end up not getting the variety that I DESERVE.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member

When you need one of those wal-mart scooters for fat people to move around, everything is hard work.