PRO-POW3 PSU Non-Genny Replacement

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Anyone have a link to a good tested PRO-POW3 replacement that puts out clean power and has no screen interference?

I'd like to avoid buying another Model 1 Genesis PSU that ends up being on its last legs.

Thanks for any recommendations!

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Did you try replacing the filter capacitor on those bricks? I opened up three of mine and 2 of them were cheap no name brand capacitors that were leaking.

also I've had good luck replacing an AV Famicom PSU with one recommended by HD Retrovision, PWR+. A nice benefit of it is you can use different adapters for one power supply to extend console support. Makes for a good test bench/console testers. If you scroll down on the site below you'll see what adapters you need.

Only thing I don't like about it is the neon blue light on it.

https://www.hdretrovision.com/vote3rdparty

Xian Xi would probably know a good recommendation as well.

Last edited:

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Nope I haven't tried servicing the bad Genny one, but I guess it night be worth a shot if there's not a decent Chinese replacement.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
If its a genesis model 1 power supply the capacitor should be 3300 μF 16V. You can go higher voltage but may have trouble fitting it due to clearance issues.

I grabbed a few 105C ones to replace all my ac bricks since they are 25+ years old. Only one I haven't done is SNES adapter since I need to make a tool to open it.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Thanks for the responses guys. I popped on a couple potential replacements via DigiKey. I'll report back here with the results once I have them.