Car Enthusiast Thread

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
(posted on a RAM forum)...if any of you care to read this...

My former truck was a 2014 Express with the black package (bought Feb of 2104), here's a short rundown of the features:

Quad cab, 5.7L, 6spd trans, 4x4, anti-slip, 3.55 rear
"Black" package at the time included LED lamps, projector headlights, 5.0 -w- backup cam, no "1500" emblems, black wheels.

Here's what I got a few weeks ago:

Crew Cab, 3.0L EcoDiesel, 3.55 rear, anti-slip
typical Big Horn package, heated seats/wheel package

After 4 years of driving the '14...here's my observations:

Exterior:
-I'll admit it...I'm not a chrome guy. I think my '14 was overall better looking.

-Illuminated side mirrors are really nice.

-I really do not understand the purpose of the LED bed lighting...maybe I will some day, but I lived without it for 4 years and never once wish I had it.

-The power fold mirrors may be handy some day, but I haven't needed that feature yet.

-I can't believe I'm saying this, but the stock headlights are better than those horrible "projector" lamps my '14 had...well at least for STD lights. The high beams on the projectors were WAY better, but I didn't use those often. I was always surprised at how crappy the projectors were on my '14.

Interior:
-Giving up 7" of bed space to get the Crew cab was worth it...that extra room makes a far larger difference than I thought it would.

-Most the of the Big Horn interior additions I can take/leave. I know the Express interior is rather spartan, but I cannot recall it ever bothering me. The additional center console is ok...but not 100% needed. Going from the 5.0 to the 8.0 screen is nice, I'll say that.

-Heated seats are freaking nice, I'll admit it.

-The gauge cluster in the BH is WAY better than the stocker in my express. I have to say, it really is that much nicer. I didn't think I'd care much about it...but I do.

-I despise the rotary knob gear selector vs my standard pull down column shifter on my '14. That dial just plain sucks, I don't 100% know why, but I do not like it at all.

Performance:
-The trucks really are night/day. My 5.7L had some serious get-go...the ED just does not. I had to learn to drive my 5.7 properly so I wasn't constantly hammering passengers necks, or laying a patch of rubber. I'm going to have to completely re-train myself to drive the ED, I have been consistently under throttle'ing the thing and I need to have a heavier foot with it. I'll say there is noticeable turbo lag, it is what it is.

-It's already making a significant difference in fuel consumption. I'll say that I don't drive a ton, but my winter 12mpg 5.7 was consuming 25-30 gallons a week...the ED sucked down 15 gallons and that's with helping a friend move all day Sat.

-The ED is COLD BLOODED. I know, diesel engines don't like cold weather. It takes some serious time for that fella to get up to proper temp when the temp is cold outside.

-The engine sounds super cool. I love the sound of a diesel truck, I just do. For the most part, this things sounds great. The turbo isn't the loudest due to the stock intake, and the exhaust is very tame. I jokingly said that I feel all "biggg-riggggsss" when driving the thing.

-I had to learn what DEF is, and the proper place to get it. Perhaps I'll change my idea on this later, but I don't see the big deal here. Fill it up every 4-5000 miles, it will set you back a whopping $30.

-The stock tires are still total crap. I actually made the dealership transfer my Toyo Open Country tires form my 2014...but I had to drive on the stockers for 2 days. They are mushy, miserable tires.

Anyway...pics:

My 2014:
EDX4fXqh.jpg

...the 2017:
SvwJABgh.jpg

buBpEE4h.jpg

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
One point of irritation...the navigation "activation".

My truck is ready to go with Nav...but it states "see dealer for activation" on the window sticker. When I looked up the cost, I was shocked to see they want for it:

http://chryslergroup.navigation.com/sku/E00000776209/en_US/ChryslerNA/USD

I know I'm applying logic to a car company, and that doing so is silly, but you'd think they would offer this at a lower price to attract more buyers. Especially figuring that GPS unit are available elsewhere, are far cheaper, and many of us have on one our phone for free.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy

My truck is ready to go with Nav...but it states "see dealer for activation" on the window sticker. When I looked up the cost, I was shocked to see they want for it:

I know I'm applying logic to a car company, and that doing so is silly, but you'd think they would offer this at a lower price to attract more buyers. Especially figuring that GPS unit are available elsewhere, are far cheaper, and many of us have on one our phone for free.

Do a little haggleing you can usually get them to do it for free.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Do a little haggleing you can usually get them to do it for free.

I read up on it and it pretty much seems that there's no getting around it, you have to pay for this one if you want it and few dealerships are willing to play ball. I've also read that the Nav is rather lackluster...and $150 to "update".

The whole thing just struck me as silly is all.

Oh well, it'a an italian engine right? ;)

Yup...sure is.

What's funny are all the guys on the Ram forum making comments like "I'd never own an engine made overseas...bla, bla, bla..."

Then I'll point out that their 5.7L is made in Mexico...

What's odd as well as it stated the 8 seed trans is made in Gemany on the diesel trucks, and lists the 8 spd the 5.7 as having a US build.

Weird.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Nav is almost pointless. The maps are outdated immediately. It's a nice to have, but completely unnecessary with modern phones.
Map packs aren't free for anyone, which is why you have to pay. You can sometimes pirate Navteq map packs, but there are varying difficulties with uploading these as well.

It's all not worth it when google maps on your phone gives you live traffic updates with the most recent map packs at all times.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Nav is almost pointless. The maps are outdated immediately. It's a nice to have, but completely unnecessary with modern phones.
Map packs aren't free for anyone, which is why you have to pay. You can sometimes pirate Navteq map packs, but there are varying difficulties with uploading these as well.

It's all not worth it when google maps on your phone gives you live traffic updates with the most recent map packs at all times.

That's how I feel. Everybody has nav elsewhere...why not make the price attractive? $600 + "install" is just silly...

MySoberCompanion

Formerly the Drunk, known as Tyrandom.,
Yup...sure is.

What's funny are all the guys on the Ram forum making comments like "I'd never own an engine made overseas...bla, bla, bla..."

Then I'll point out that their 5.7L is made in Mexico...

What's odd as well as it stated the 8 seed trans is made in Gemany on the diesel trucks, and lists the 8 spd the 5.7 as having a US build.

Weird.

By the way Marchionne seems receptive from that perspective, bringing production back from Mexico in the next years.

We just had a Chrysler 300 rebadged as Lancia and FCA tax/legal offices moved to UK/Holland after pumping billions of public money for decades in that sinkhole named Fiat...

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
By the way Marchionne seems receptive from that perspective, bringing production back from Mexico in the next years.

We just had a Chrysler 300 rebadged as Lancia and FCA tax/legal offices moved to UK/Holland after pumping billions of public money for decades in that sinkhole named Fiat...

Didn't fit buy out Chryslar?

MySoberCompanion

Formerly the Drunk, known as Tyrandom.,
Didn't fit buy out Chryslar?

As a company, they did a great job in the last few years and Marchionne is the best manager Fiat ever had.

I blame that they delocalized in Poland after destroying Lancia and Alfa Romeo in 80's-90's (with a great waste of public money), and when they started making profits, fast moved to countries with more accomodating fiscal system and limited investments in homeland.

Of course, they didn't act illegally and Italy/UE have their responsabilities in matter of tax avoidance.

Ironically the name's choice for FCA clearly reminds for every italian the term "FICA" (cunt), showing giveafuckness 0 for their former audience.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I watched a documentary on the whole VW TDi "clean diesel" US scam...that is actually pretty shocking, I guess I had no idea how bad they cheated.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Happen to know the name of the documentary?

Funny enough, its episode 1 of Netflix’s “dirty money” series. Hump past the first 10 min of a tree hugger asshole whining like a cunt, and it’s actually really well made and informative after that.

It’s pretty mind blowing what they did...

funkified

Edo Express Delivery Guy

Man that is pretty horrible, I didnt even know this was a thing now. Before manufacturers used to just charge for a new update, but at least you got to use it until it became outdated. I just bought a new vehicle last year as well with nav and it has a crap interface, as most are. Still, stuff like that needs to be included for that kind of money they were asking for the entire truck.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
I watched a documentary on the whole VW TDi "clean diesel" US scam...that is actually pretty shocking, I guess I had no idea how bad they cheated.

Diesel cars will be gone in 5 years. The manual transmission in 10.

U.K. Car dealers and dumping diesels here by the boat and truck load. And idiots here are lapping it up. Just wait till the insurance companies won't insure a diesel. That "hot deal" will become a hot turd.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Diesel cars will be gone in 5 years. The manual transmission in 10.

U.K. Car dealers and dumping diesels here by the boat and truck load. And idiots here are lapping it up. Just wait till the insurance companies won't insure a diesel. That "hot deal" will become a hot turd.

Nah...that's too much of a stretch. There's millions of diesel vehicles currently on the road today...including the entire on-road shipping industry.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Maybe in the US, but not the rest of the world for diesel. Manual Transmission is definitely on the way out but some manufacturers will keep it for their performance cars as a selling point.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Maybe in the US, but not the rest of the world for diesel. Manual Transmission is definitely on the way out but some manufacturers will keep it for their performance cars as a selling point.

I can definitely see manual trans going away...there's honestly no reason for them anymore. Twin clutch systems, millisecond shift times, CPU controlled rev matching, I could go on and on, a computer can now shift infinitely faster and smarter than any human can muster.

Hell, here's an "old" article on the subject:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-get-your-300-000-supercar-with-a-stick-shift

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Yeah, manual these days it just for fun. The Porsche community is rabid over manual's, yet the PDK transmission is superior in every way.
The older porsches are quite easy to switch out the transmission, so it's no big deal. PDK's are quite pricey if something goes wrong tho.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
On a different forum, someone was asking about a buying a new Subaru Outback...so I looked them up.

We had a 2013 Impreza and long story short, the insane under-powered engine, that god awful CVT, and poor ride quality had us looking for something else in 2015. We test drove a new Outback and found the horsepower to be even worse. Stock 4cyl config, the damn thing is only 175 hp in a good sized vehicle. The CVT flogs it, and boxers aren't exactly the smoothest engine to begin with. We weren't willing to "upgrade" to the 6cyl "R" model that offers a scorching 256 hp (my god...the thrust).

Anyway, I looked them up and I'll admit that I'm rather shocked that they're still offering the same shit engine options. Subaru desperately needs to get with the times here...their once almost class exclusive AWD claim to fame is now offered by tons of other makers, and their engines are pathetically outclassed by nearly every company on the market.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Nah...that's too much of a stretch. There's millions of diesel vehicles currently on the road today...including the entire on-road shipping industry.

There's a reason I said diesel cars.

Trains, transit, trucks, shipping, and work vehicles I'm sure will be exempt. But the days of a diesel family car: numbered

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
On a different forum, someone was asking about a buying a new Subaru Outback...so I looked them up.

We had a 2013 Impreza and long story short, the insane under-powered engine, that god awful CVT, and poor ride quality had us looking for something else in 2015. We test drove a new Outback and found the horsepower to be even worse. Stock 4cyl config, the damn thing is only 175 hp in a good sized vehicle. The CVT flogs it, and boxers aren't exactly the smoothest engine to begin with. We weren't willing to "upgrade" to the 6cyl "R" model that offers a scorching 256 hp (my god...the thrust).

Anyway, I looked them up and I'll admit that I'm rather shocked that they're still offering the same shit engine options. Subaru desperately needs to get with the times here...their once almost class exclusive AWD claim to fame is now offered by tons of other makers, and their engines are pathetically outclassed by nearly every company on the market.

I'm a big fan of hatchbacks and a few years ago I was looking into getting an Impreza one, but yeah, just felt very weak. I never looked at suburu again after that.

I do like the new civic hatchback. I was looking for a car for myself and test drove a sport touring and liked it a lot. I ended up getting a bigger family car for my wife instead and I took hers. I'll stick with that for a couple of years but will definitely give the civic hatch another look when back in the market.