R.I.P Ennio Morricone

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
RIP. Loved the dollars trilogy.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
One of my early inspirations and composer of some of my all-time favourite movie soundtracks. Addio, Ennio, e pace all'anima tua.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Anyone involved in The Thing has my respect, RIP.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Legend. Rest in peace good sir.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
RIP. Loved the dollars trilogy.
I never understood why anyone called it that. The three movies are all completely unrelated to each other, and Good/Bad/Ugly doesn't even have the word "Dollars" in the title. In any language. It's not a trilogy.

Anyway, my favorite Morricone soundtrack is Once Upon a Time in the West. I also have a soft spot for Danger Diabolik. And from his American movies, Untouchables is a stand out. Whatever your opinion of that movie is, your opinion would be halved if anyone else had done the score.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
I never understood why anyone called it that. The three movies are all completely unrelated to each other, and Good/Bad/Ugly doesn't even have the word "Dollars" in the title. In any language. It's not a trilogy.

Not entirely accurate. There are visual cues and oblique references (poncho in GBU, for example) that loosely tie the movies together. They "could" be the same character. (P.S. I absolutely hate the idea.. but meh, it's all there.)

Morricone was incredible and a genius. His work shaped the industry. GBU is one of my top films... his work is what brought it home. Ecstacy of Gold is the highlight of the movie.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

Even if everything you said was true, it is still a trilogy. They just aren't direct sequels.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Ernio is definitely one of the best film composers.

Right up there with John Williams, Moroder, Tangerine Dream and Neil Young.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Ernio is definitely one of the best film composers.

Right up there with John Williams, Moroder, Tangerine Dream and Neil Young.

The only thing that I remember Neil Young doing is Dead Man and Phildelphia. I hated Dead Man.

I loved the score for The Thing. After watching it as a kid that music used to be stuck in my head come bed time. That and the dog-thing. I always wanted to hear his score on What Dreams May Come. I was fascinated by that film when I was younger. Maybe someone can mux it over on the Spleen.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Even if everything you said was true, it is still a trilogy. They just aren't direct sequels.
They're not sequels of any kind. It was a coin termed by casual fans with only a vague memory of having seen the movies, and somehow it stuck.

Not entirely accurate. There are visual cues and oblique references (poncho in GBU, for example) that loosely tie the movies together. They "could" be the same character. (P.S. I absolutely hate the idea.. but meh, it's all there.)
That's as thin as saying Pale Rider, Two Mules and Unforgiven are a trilogy because he wore a cowboy hat. Suggesting Manco could be Blondie is as nonsensical as the idea Col. Mortimer could have done a heel turn and become Angel Eyes. It doesn't even pass the squint test.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Loved his work in the Man with No Name Trilogy, but was sad to hear that he didn't value it as much as the fans did. He wanted to be taken more serious. Well Mr Morricone, I'll always consider your work true music and more beautiful than anything beefoven has ever done.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
That's as thin as saying Pale Rider, Two Mules and Unforgiven are a trilogy because he wore a cowboy hat. Suggesting Manco could be Blondie is as nonsensical as the idea Col. Mortimer could have done a heel turn and become Angel Eyes. It doesn't even pass the squint test.

Ding ding ding we have a winrar。

Simply put we can say Clint is essentially playing the same character but in unrelated (storywise) westerns

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
RIP.

Loved the soundtrack to "Once upon a time in America" the best.

Tacitus

Staff member
That's as thin as saying Pale Rider, Two Mules and Unforgiven are a trilogy because he wore a cowboy hat.

Ha. Wearing EXACTLY the same cowboy hat, poncho, etc. at various points AND intentionally through three movies wasn't an accident. Again, I don't like the idea but it's absolutely intentional.. even if it's a nod.

Suggesting Manco could be Blondie is as nonsensical as the idea Col. Mortimer could have done a heel turn and become Angel Eyes. It doesn't even pass the squint test.

Well, a few problems with that:

1. It's not nonsensical. If you're going to make this argument, at least get the chronology correct. GBU is unquestionably earliest due to the CW involvement... so your opinion is already flawed and misinformed. (P.S. Since AE is dead, it still works.)

2. Reuse of actors or repurposing is hardly a leg to stand on. Are you going to tell me that Hateful Eight, Pulp Fiction, True Romance, Natural Born Killers, Inglorious Basterds, and Reservoir Dogs are all in different universes and totally unrelated because of actor reuse? Or would you tell me they're at least related because of items, characters, and objects are intentionally inserted and noted on screen? (Pack of red apples anyone? Scagnetti? Lee Donowitz?)

There are conscious, intentional ties between the movies. Whether they're "in the same universe" is up for debate* but there's nothing you will cite that will absolutely exclude the possibility.

*I don't know why people need anything to have a "universe" or "canon", it's a stupid concept for people who need things to be anchored to like them.

Tacitus

Staff member
Ding ding ding we have a winrar。

Simply put we can say Clint is essentially playing the same character but in unrelated (storywise) westerns

So he's playing the same character in unrelated storylines.. but it's "thin" and likely not related.

got it.

How was the Mad Max movie that wasn't really one then?