Nintendo announces its "Flashback" NES Console The NES Classic Edition

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
http://www.vintageisthenewold.com/n...lashback-nes-console-the-nes-classic-edition/

original-500x250.jpg

original-1.jpg

We are already used to the è©®lashback consoles featuring Atari, Intellivision and Colecovision. Some of these are already launching its 6th edition.

Out of blue, Nintendo has just announced that they also decided to join the retro gaming nostalgia club, launching the NES Classic Edition, a palm-sized NES console packaged with an HDMI cable, an AC adapter and one NES Classic Controller.

Most important, the console will feature 30 built-in games, most of them all-time Nintendo classics. Here is the full list:

Balloon Fight
BUBBLE BOBBLE
Castlevania
Castlevania II: Simonç—´ Quest
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
DOUBLE DRAGON II: THE REVENGE
Dr. Mario
Excitebike
FINAL FANTASYï½®
Galaga
GHOSTS誰 GOBLINSョ
GRADIUS
Ice Climber
Kid Icarus
Kirbyç—´ Adventure
Mario Bros.
MEGA MANï½® 2
Metroid
NINJA GAIDEN
PAC-MAN
Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream
StarTropics
SUPER C
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
TECMO BOWL
The Legend of Zelda
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

The NES Classic Edition is set to launc in stores on Nov. 11 at a suggested retail price of USD59.99. You can buy an extra Nintendo controller for USD9.99.

Interesting that Nintendo themselves are releasing something like this. I can't help but wonder if the hardware was designed in house and what kind of quality we can expect from it.

Since it has HDMI output, it doesn't sound like most of the shitty SOCs we have been used to seeing over the last 10+ years. Perhaps a fairly accurate recreation of the NES hardware? Good list of included games with it, too!

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Wow...ok, that is one cool little shit. It has a seriously great list of titles as well. It's amazing to me they landed so many games outside of their own development house. With the originals of so many of those fetching such a huge price, $60 isn't half bad figuring it has a HDMI output.

This makes my inner fanboi tingle...I'll probably get one.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Wow...ok, that is one cool little shit. It has a seriously great list of titles as well. It's amazing to me they landed so many games outside of their own development house. With the originals of so many of those fetching such a huge price, $60 isn't half bad figuring it has a HDMI output.

This makes my inner fanboi tingle...I'll probably get one.

Yeah, it's amazing that they got so many 3rd party games.

I bet this is going to be a HUGE christmas seller.

I definitely plan to pick one up day one.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Never been a fan of this type of stuff, but this one is a day 1 purchase for me.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Yeah, it's amazing that they got so many 3rd party games.

I bet this is going to be a HUGE christmas seller.

I definitely plan to pick one up day one.

I have a bad feeling that the thing is going to be hard to find for a while after launch...

That's a top notch list of titles for $60.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
Yeah, nice console to leave in my office. Wasn't too keen on bringing in a whole setup, but this sounds exactly what I'm looking for, and they certainly didn't skimp on solid titles.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Definitely a solid list of games, I will get one!

-SD-

Camel Slug
I always thought Nintendo were stupid for not jumping on the Plug n' Play fad, especially when they essentially had a Pn'P system ready to go: the iQue player. Yeah, the internals may have required an update to play SNES and NES games, but they had an online store to purchase more software all set up and running. It seems daft to have an entire infrastructure ready and just limit it to China.

Anyway..... hell yeah I want one of these. I'm hoping that there's some way to add more games, but I'm sure this'll be a fantastic Xmas present for hardware hackers to tinker with. I was thinking about getting an HDMI modded NES anyway... hopefully this will be a cheaper and easier option.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
might be worth getting to see if it can be hacked and loaded up with roms.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Really awesome! But how can they not have Contra or Castlevania 3???

Unfortunately I am sure this will go up for preorder and sold out within minutes and I will miss out like I usually do...

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Get it before the fanboys and collecturds buy up multiple ones.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
The system uses the same port the Wii uses for classic controls for the pads. Dollars to donuts that thing is housing a Wii motherboard without the disc drive and a new front end.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
The system uses the same port the Wii uses for classic controls for the pads. Dollars to donuts that thing is housing a Wii motherboard without the disc drive and a new front end.

Seems like that wouldn't be as cost effective as simpler off the shelf components.

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
I'll probably grab one of these. It gets released on my birthday, so why not! Hoping some pretty cool mods come out of this.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I noticed Castlevania 2 but not 3. Double Dragon 2 but not 1 or even 3. Mega Man 2 only. Ninja Gaiden 1 only. I also bet Metroid is the American one (with password) instead of the one that saves (Japanese). Too many great games missing IMO. That, and I bet this is a raspberry Pi inside with the romz. People are probably better with an everdrive and the HiDefNES HDMI mod. I think I'll be on the fence for this, but not holding up my breath.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
might be worth getting to see if it can be hacked and loaded up with roms.

That's what I'm hoping for, but even if not this is totally worth $60 to me. Even with the absence of a few key games, there are more than enough awesome ones present to make it a great system to leave hooked up in my living room.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I'm happy that the OG Mario Bros. and Kid Icarus are on there.

Motherfucking Tecmo Bowl!

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
If nothing else, this makes for a great easily portable NES. Still prefer a top-loader with an everdrive but this is a great backup option.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I'm sold. Nintendo always have a level of quality to everything they release, so I'm sure this won't be a cheap cash-in like the NGX.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I'm interested to see what hardware is inside those... could be pretty rad.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Word on the street, Christoph is currently working on a smaller version of the Analogue NT. This version will finally include a HDMI output right out of the box, as well as 30 built-in classic NES games.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Yeah, nice console to leave in my office. Wasn't too keen on bringing in a whole setup, but this sounds exactly what I'm looking for, and they certainly didn't skimp on solid titles.

Seems like that wouldn't be as cost effective as simpler off the shelf components.

Well, a Wii mini sells for $100, with a Wii remote, Nunchuck, and an optical drive. I'd be willing to bet they could use the same components for the systemand, minus the parts above and still turn a better profit then they do/did with the mini.

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
This looks great. Like someone mentioned, I hope it can get hacked to load all roms in it. With HDMI output that shit will be in my main TV room.