SENGOKU 2 WEIRD SCREENSHOTS

snkmiami

New Challenger
Hi guys please correct me if am wrong but i saw these screenshots in a magazine when i was a kid and i had this doubt for years. i just found it on the internet and i notice that the characters are not carrying swords on one of them and there is a level with a skull on the back that i don't seem to remember i may be wrong please look at these and correct me if i'm wrong i'm sorry for my english is not good.

preview24yk.jpg

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
It might be screenshots of a prototype version, before the devs made weapons permanent in Sengoku 2.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Cool find. You know, I don't think I would have even noticed they weren't carrying swords at a casual glance. Nice catch. This is obviously from some pre-release version of the game.

snkmiami

New Challenger
Thank's guys i tough the same i saw this article in english on an egm or a gamepro i don't remember now it would be cool if those features can be unlocked with the unibios.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
I have a better quality pic of one of those screen captures that I can post here as well that may show better details. Also, the weapon-less fighting is not the only juicy thing to look for in the proto version and/or through debugging the final. There are also 2 entire levels that were removed from the game which contained offensive / religious symbols. (ever wonder why the game was only 4 stages? well now you know why; it originally had 6.)

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
What a shame... Sengoku 2 could have been even better than it was already? That lost stage looks pretty awesome.

jepjepjep

King's Dry Cleaner
There are also 2 entire levels that were removed from the game which contained offensive / religious symbols. (ever wonder why the game was only 4 stages? well now you know why; it originally had 6.)

Incredible. That would be awesome to be able to play Sengoku 2 with two extra levels. How complete are they?

snkmiami

New Challenger
Oh God don't tell me that they removed 2 stages! i love that game i always felt like it was too short.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Watching this thread with intense eyes, Super post those pics! :D

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I have a better quality pic of one of those screen captures that I can post here as well that may show better details. Also, the weapon-less fighting is not the only juicy thing to look for in the proto version and/or through debugging the final. There are also 2 entire levels that were removed from the game which contained offensive / religious symbols. (ever wonder why the game was only 4 stages? well now you know why; it originally had 6.)

Billy, please tell me there is a dump of that version. Sengoku 2 is my fave in the series.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Sengoku 2 Proto Pic (high rez)

care to post that pic?

Absolutely. I found it this morning. I am almost certain that I have 2 or 3 more, but those will be far more difficult to find. As soon as I locate them, I will post them here in this thread.

sengoku2proto.JPG

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Sengoku 2 early proto title screen (artists' conception)

Originally, "Sengoku 2" was actually intended to be "Sengoku II". And an early graphical build of the games title logo (clearly programmed) is most likely the title screen that we would see in the proto or an earlier build of the game. (see screenshot comparisons below)

s2titlealpha.jpgView attachment s2titlemvs.bmps2titlehome.gif

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Nice, I actually remember seeing this pic in an oldass EGM

Yeap. And I remember looking for that section of the level over and over back when I first bought the game. This happens often. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 always comes to mind. It had so many early press photos of spectacular levels and graphics that were only in the beta version and never made it to the final release. I was so bummed out by that.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
We should probably do some digging in the ROMs and see what's still there.

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
We should probably do some digging in the ROMs and see what's still there.

I remember when Metal Slug X came out. Some of the most fun I had with that game was using the old debug BIOS to dig through all the crap that was stored in those ROM files. Moreso than most Neo geo games, there was LOADS of awesome stuff in there that was left out and never seen in any other slug games! Entire levels with no enemies, etc.

waku7

Dodgeball Yakuza
Absolutely. I found it this morning. I am almost certain that I have 2 or 3 more, but those will be far more difficult to find. As soon as I locate them, I will post them here in this thread.

View attachment 3453

DavidG too had 2 or 3 more ! He gave them to you for free ! Lucky boy, having the rarest games ever for free ?

Did you suck his d*** ?

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
What would the best utility for disassembling teh romz?

DavidG too had 2 or 3 more ! He gave them to you for free ! Lucky boy, having the rarest games ever for free ?

Did you suck his d*** ?
lotta salt up in here..

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

Did you suck his d*** ?

Keep this thread on track please. There's like 999 other DavidG threads.

ne7

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
if you byteswap the P rom you can read all the text from the game:

---
BRING THESE MEN TO HELP. (Girl in intro)
COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS... THAT I BEAT YOU ! (first boss)
YOU IDIOT ! (first boss)
GO TO THE LOWER WORLD WITH ME ! (pretty sure I never saw this text :)
WHO ARE YOU ? (boss 2)
NO ONE RETURNS ONCE THEY .. HAVE STEPPED INTO THIS WORLD ! (boss 2)
GO YATSUFUSA ! (boss 2, talking to her dog)
IDIOT... (don't remember seeing this ingame... could be wrong tho - so short)
YOSHITSUNE IS HERE! (level3 boss)
I'LL TURN YOU INTO SWORD RUST. (level3 boss)
WATER DRAGON GIVE ME YOUR POWER ! (level3 boss)
NO ONE CAN STOP OUR SCHEME. (dont remember this ingame)
DON'T STAND IN MY WAY ! (last boss)
I WON'T DIE UNTIL I HAVE IT ALL ! (last boss)
LET NOBODY INTERFERE WITH ME / HAH HAH HAH (cutscene post level1)
I WILL TRAVEL INTO THE FUTURE .. TO KILL YOU THERE ! (don't remember seeing this)
YOU HAVE TANGLED WITH ME ! / I WILL DEFINITELY KILL YOU ! (cutscene between level 2+level 3)
I DON'T WANT TO SEE YOU AGAIN .. I WILL KILL YOU MYSELF ! / BRING HIM HERE !! (cutscene post level3)
---

unless I've screwed up when I had a super fast playthru - there's tiny bits of unused text in there at least, in amongst the boss quotes - quite odd really...

you can also see a little bit of text referring to STG + ACT in the P rom too...

debug dips also do stuff - haven't had a lot of time to investigate it properly but pretty sure I found invincibility codes and debug screen output along the way...

\o_

Last edited:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Wicked! Thanks for those screenies!