KOF14 announced for 2016 on PS4

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
The biggest possible mistake SNKP could make is to release a 3D fighting game that is in any way subpar to compete with Street Fighter 5. It is 100% necessary that they be on their A game for this release, but its fairly clear from the trailer that they're definitely not. SFIV set the standard six years ago, and if you can't even meet that standard, you're in trouble.

It probably would have been smarter to stick with 2D, or faux 2D like GGXrd. It would have been smartest to outsource development to Arc System Works or DIMPS, provided they're not contractually exclusive to Capcom or Sammy.

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
a6b30da184fd430031632acef679957d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
face it guys. it's over. it has been for a long time, but it's more obvious now than ever. Japan couldn't give a fuck about arcade and console games.
fuck it. I guess this is what progress looks like.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
It's just one short teaser but based purely on this footage, I'm not impressed with the look.

The 3D modeling appears dated as fuck, not any better at all than Maximum Impact and that was a series on PS2.

I'm agreeing with the general sentiment that they should have gone the way GG Xrd went. When I was fiending on that game, I kept thinking how much of SNK's spirit seemed to be alive in it.

Of course, I'll reserve final judgment for when I've had a chance to play the game but just based on this teaser, it looks rough.

Black_Tiger

Kuroko's Training Dummy
No 2D sprites wtf !? Really if they want it in 3D they should have follow arc system works example on GG XRD.

This.

But I'd still be disappointed by one less modern 2D series, even though I'm not a KoF fan.

Fygee

20 Year Member
KoF XIV in the aesthetic of Rumble Fish 2 would've been lovely.

Such a missed opportunity.

Personally I prefer the look and detail of the KOF XII/XIII sprites over Rumble Fish 1 and 2.

But yeah, going the route of GG: Xrd would have been best, albeit with SNKP's signature detailed sprite style as opposed to the flat anime look.

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Personally I prefer the look and detail of the KOF XII/XIII sprites over Rumble Fish 1 and 2.

But yeah, going the route of GG: Xrd would have been best, albeit with SNKP's signature detailed sprite style as opposed to the flat anime look.

I agree, 'gee. I was making a nod toward RF2 since you mentioned DIMPS.

But yeah, if this new KoF were ala XRD or XII/XIII...I would've bought a PS4.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
It's just one short teaser but based purely on this footage, I'm not impressed with the look.

The 3D modeling appears dated as fuck, not any better at all than Maximum Impact and that was a series on PS2.

I'm agreeing with the general sentiment that they should have gone the way GG Xrd went. When I was fiending on that game, I kept thinking how much of SNK's spirit seemed to be alive in it.

Of course, I'll reserve final judgment for when I've had a chance to play the game but just based on this teaser, it looks rough.

This is exactly what I was thinking, although, considering the release window, I have very little faith in this game looking any better than it does in the teaser. It's a shame really: they hit the mark with XIII after some rough showings before it, and then have quickly abandoned said working formula :/

Shin9999

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Ugh Snk... Why not just rehash XIII like how arksys does the Blazblue series. You aren't going to compete with the hype train that is Street Fighter 5 with this trailer.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Meh. I'd buy it if they released it for the Neo Geo X. Looks like the hardware could handle it.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
This blows. They should have gone out on a high note with KoF XIII.

I don't see how this makes any sense. Their main draw with KoF was that it was still a "pure" 2D fighter. They threw that - and pretty much any incentive - away by going 3D.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I wonder what the game they scrapped and fired the producer (or let go not sure which) looked like if they are showing this garbage?

Personally I would have kept the XIII sprites, made B Jenet, Tizoc, Gato, and Wild Wolf Terry Sprites (with recycled animations from regular Terry) and threw them on some new stages, maybe change around a few moves and said that was XIV. After that you already have a start into making Garou 2. But Nooooooo. Let's make something, scrap it then churn out crap that caused Playmore to shut down the youtube comments section cause the press was all bad. Makes total sense.

Shin9999

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
I wonder what the game they scrapped and fired the producer (or let go not sure which) looked like if they are showing this garbage?

Personally I would have kept the XIII sprites, made B Jenet, Tizoc, Gato, and Wild Wolf Terry Sprites (with recycled animations from regular Terry) and threw them on some new stages, maybe change around a few moves and said that was XIV. After that you already have a start into making Garou 2. But Nooooooo. Let's make something, scrap it then churn out crap that caused Playmore to shut down the youtube comments section cause the press was all bad. Makes total sense.
^^^ All day.

Last edited:

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I have never gone from excited to depressed as fast as I did after hitting play on this teaser. What did they even do to Iori in this?

That said..

It's good to see they are still doing games for Dreamc... wait...

This brought me far too much joy haha.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
So when Maximum Impact 2 was called KOF 2006 in the states Does this mean when we get a real KOF game it will be numbered something completely different? King of Fighters Alpha: Fans Nightmare

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
Disappointed. Just looks like someone's brief was to cross Tekken with sfiv and they've come up with doa. It might still play good but after 13 managed to claw back some class this just feels trashy.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Haha, oddly enough I'm happier with the trailer featuring no footage.

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
I agree with both posts.

Playmore already said when KOFXIII released that it was their last sprite based fighter as the cost of making HD sprites was too high and couldn't cope with it.
I get it, but then go the XRD way, not this crap.

Oh well, back to KOF98 I guess.

you got a source to when snk said XIII was their last sprite based fighter?

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
also TBH, i would have preferred King of Combat style graphics > Guilty Gear. SNK usually does their own thing, and they don't like the art direction Arc System takes...