Help me decide if I should get a console mvs with a muilti cart.

jinx5

n00b
I kinda have this itch to get a console mvs. I was told it's better then the aes. I am considering getting http://www.jamma-nation-x.com making it for me. Are they good. I don't want to get scammed or anything. There is a deposit and waiting period thou. I got recommended by the analogue site I emailed so I guess it's legit. And there shell looks awsome. Component mod is a must what other options should I consider asking them to put in.

I have seen that there is a flash cart that is new and was even considering it. But it kinda turns me off after watching video's on youtube that it takes 4 minutes to load a rom, but can store about a dozen or so to be loaded instantly. It is kinda insane that the price is so high but seeing that most neogeo games are expensive anyways may as well.

Looking at ebay I stumbled this 161 CART. Is that thing worth the money. it's hella cheep and makes the hole thing worth it to me since im getting pore after buying a framemister and scart cables. All the games seem to be good. I don't see myself getting anything else from the list. Does it play the games exactly as if it was a real cart after the game is loaded? Is there any other games that isn't on the list that is worth picking up also. I seen a foren video it has a sound issue but he showed how to fix it.

I have a retropi setup with a raspberry pi for mame games and noticed some lag with nes when playing mario, when I run then jump before a ledge i would have to jump sooner otherwise I would fall, but my framemister with real nes over composite have no problems jumping right before the ledge. It could be my tv thou. IDK. I know emulation has a bit a input lag in general. This is why I want the real thing. But only way for me to play some mame games. I like my retro pi setup I modified an existing theme that was balck and white and made it color cuase it was the only one that had video's and images with descriptions. Now I can find new games easy.
I am going to play more neogeo on my retro pi maybe it's better then the Nintendo emulators idk.

Is there a console type system that plays arcade games legit? Would like to play all the 1940 games, demon front, mvc 2, some other shoot em up's legit without the problems with a emulator?

Last edited:

jinx5

n00b
HI I am new was recommended to come to this forum to ask these questions.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Yeah, I definitely recommend a supergun over a consolized anything. That way you just buy one "console" and connect any motherboard you want. With a consolized MVS or Atomiswave or whatever, you're locked into that platform.

jinx5

n00b
What you're looking for is called a supergun. Xian Xi can also build those but I think he's quite busy these days and can't really take new orders at the moment. cdamm may have some superguns in stock though. Check out windygaming.

https://www.windygaming.com/products/preorder-windy-gaming-supergun-model-atp-300

I need more info about this supergun. What games does it play. Can it play neo geo games. How do I put games onto it. What arcade boards does it support. It uses scart right? Is there a way to get component on this. It don't matter I have a framemister as long as there is scart. I see a scart cable so im good I guess.
Does it atleast have all the metal slug games.

jinx5

n00b
I contacted jamma-nation-x the other day about the mvs and they said the can start taking pre orders after the new year and to contact him via email when interested.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I need more info about this supergun. What games does it play. Can it play neo geo games. How do I put games onto it. What arcade boards does it support. It uses scart right? Is there a way to get component on this. It don't matter I have a framemister as long as there is scart. I see a scart cable so im good I guess.

A supergun is basically a jamma cab in a box. It takes care of the video, the sounds and the controls but it's not a system.

It can play pretty much everything that comes with a JAMMA connector. If you buy a MVS motherboard then yes, it will be able to play every Neo Geo game you can think of. If you buy a CPS2 motherboard (or A board) then it will be able to play every CPS2 games, etc...

You won't need any extra hardawre for standalone JAMMA PCBs though. For exemple, there's 2 versions of Demont Front. The standalone one which looks like a regular JAMMA PCB and the cartridge version which looks like a MVS cartridge. You can play both of them on a supergun but you'll need to get a PGM motherboard if you buy the cartridge version of the game.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

How about you do some fucking Google searches before wasting our time with this shit?

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
It sounds like we have someone extremely new to arcade gaming.

As wyo said Google supergun and also Youtube it. You'll come back with a clearer understanding of what you need.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
I need more info about this supergun.Does it atleast have all the metal slug games.

Supergun (tm) com wit all slug included 6 7 XX and 3D.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
As others have stated, OP: do your research online for superguns, which is a general term for a setup which can play arcade games at home without a cab. Playing arcade games at home can be a very enjoyable and worthwhile experience, but isn't "dummy-proof" like console systems are, and nowhere near as cheap.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
If you're going to consolize a Neo Geo be it AES or MVS, even if you use a supergun to play it, Buy a NEOSD cartridge instead. They're not cheap outright but you'll be thanking your bank account later on I can assure you.

jinx5

n00b
OK thanks guys. Sorry I am new to this shotgun stuff. I got the ruff idea thou. But thanks for guiding me to a better solution.
I been watching some youtube video's I get what I have to do.
I am going to right down the games I want from my retro pi and see what boards are best.
Mind helping me out with a good site that has the system boards that have been refurbished with new capasiters and replaceable battery's. I know I can find some boards on ebay and there pretty cheep, I just want something that will last me.
I need to find those multi game carts for other systems also.

joala

A Joala is for Life., Not Just Christmas.,
OK thanks guys. Sorry I am new to this shotgun stuff. I got the ruff idea thou. But thanks for guiding me to a better solution.
I been watching some youtube video's I get what I have to do.
I am going to right down the games I want from my retro pi and see what boards are best.
Mind helping me out with a good site that has the system boards that have been refurbished with new capasiters and replaceable battery's. I know I can find some boards on ebay and there pretty cheep, I just want something that will last me.
I need to find those multi game carts for other systems also.

LOL - wildlombax, is that you?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Just buy an AES with a NeoSD at this point. If you're not going to be going for authentic carts of all or most of the games you want, the price difference in AES carts vs MVS carts is pretty irrelevant. And the multi-carts are incomplete and come along with a host of other issues.

An AES is going to be cheaper up front than any consolized MVS or any MVS+Supergun setup, and while a NeoSD is expensive upfront it can be the last Neo Geo game purchase you'll ever have to make, so it's worth it.

An AES+NeoSD is probably about the same price as a consolized/supergun MVS+multicart.

ndiddy

n00b
An AES+NeoSD is probably about the same price as a consolized/supergun MVS+multicart.

Actually went on ebay and did the math, here's what I came up with:

---MVS w/ multicart---

mvs 1-slot: $60
jamma harness: $10
power supply- $25
gbs-8200- $20
db15 breakout connectors- $5
misc. wires and stuff- $5
2 joysticks- $100 (if you're fine with the CD sticks, add $40 to the total otherwise)
161 in 1 multicart- $65
cardboard box (for case)- free at BJ's

total: $290

---AES w/ NeoSD---

Neo Geo AES: $250
2 joysticks- $100 (if you're fine with the CD sticks, add $40 to the total otherwise)
neosd- $512
total- $862

in conclusion, 🤔

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Actually went on ebay and did the math, here's what I came up with:

---MVS w/ multicart---

power supply- $25
gbs-8200- $20
161 in 1 multicart- $65

total: $290

---AES w/ NeoSD---

Neo Geo AES: $250
neosd- $512
total- $862

in conclusion, ��

If you're actually willing to consolize the unit yourself then of course it will be cheaper...

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
How about an MVS with NeoSD? It's not like the 161-in-1 is a comparable product.

ndiddy

n00b
How about an MVS with NeoSD? It's not like the 161-in-1 is a comparable product.

---MVS w/ neosd---

power supply- $25
gbs-8200- $20
neosd- $470

total: $695

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
The Multis really aren't worth messing with now that flashcarts like the NeoSD and DS solution are available. The Multis are missing many of the best games (Windjammers), many of the games on them are hacks, many of the games have graphics, sound and gameplay glitches, and they aren't setup with proper voltage shifters so they can damage the Neo console over time.

Just go AES + flashcart if you want the easiest console-like experience. You'll pay more up front, but be way better off overall.

jinx5

n00b
Ok neosd it is even thou it takes 4 min to load a game so i seen on a youtube video. Better then paying 3k for one game I guess. This is why I asked here first.
Im going to get that windy games supergun. Seems good and looks appealing. unless there is some sort of problem. I kinda want to get other boards also like PGM (mostly for demon front since it's cheap or whatever I can find cheap also). They aslo told me I can use my usb stick if I wire it a certan way and they will send me a diagram if I ask for it when I buy it. Just going to get a extension usb cable and do it on that. Seems more logical.
What are some other jamma arcade boards to get. I will look up the games and see if can grab some games if there cheap.
This is something I am going to do after the newyear so I may change my mind and get the console aes.
I own a framemister so scart is fine. I emailed windygames and they said s-video is good on there unit thou im going to get the scart cable.
Anyone know any modders that do replacement capacitors and can put replacable battery's for the boards. some refurbishing. Preferably in Canada or maybe America. I may ask if I can just order to there address first so they can do the work then send it to me. Hope it doesn't cost me to much.
As for ether mvs or aes I hear there is a way to change the regain bois. mind linking me what I need to do.
Thanks for all the help.

As for the boards I may make something simaler as my pi case to hold the boards. Ill look around home depot and see what I can find.
https://www.amazon.ca/Smraza-Raspbe...13033613&sr=8-47&keywords=raspberry+pi+3+case

Last edited:

ndiddy

n00b
If you're fine with games taking 4 minutes to load, you can get a decent condition Neo Geo CD with controllers for ~150. Games are far cheaper and there's no copy protection so your """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""reproduction discs""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" and """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""backups""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" will work without modification.