CRT Fetish Thread

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
For such a minor adjustment I really wouldn't be touching the yoke, you can end up with more problems than before.

This. Be careful on chasing that perfect geometry on a crt. You can often fuck things up much worse.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
That service menu is really limited. Maybe there are pots on the chassis itself you need to adjust. For the magnet you might need to put it on the yoke itself/sometimes the back of the tube or a convergence strip near there.

Here is a decent video on it

https://youtu.be/NyGPws6Eu4Y

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
That service menu is really limited. Maybe there are pots on the chassis itself you need to adjust. For the magnet you might need to put it on the yoke itself/sometimes the back of the tube or a convergence strip near there.

Here is a decent video on it

https://youtu.be/NyGPws6Eu4Y

Thanks I'll check that out.

Yes the Service menu is REALLY limited on this TV. I was kind of surprised.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
So where do you get those little round magnets and the strips? I'm willing to give this a try.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I found some "repro" (lol) convergence strips on ebay years ago but haven't seen the dude since. They aren't hard to make, lots of old threads on this laying around. The ones he made were convenient though, I did the corners of all my candy cab CRTs with them.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Would the strips work for my issue or do I need the actual little round magnets?

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
The thing with the strips (if you can find them...had an eBay alert up for about a year on them and called every single TV and Arcade repair place within a 100 mile radius and still can't find them...have to make your own with the special perma-whatever metal and plastic strips or salvage them from old monitors...) is they're really magic for those pesky corners...when you're talking about an entire side (or two)...I just don't know how much of a help they'll be (never tried to do something that drastic with them).

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Yeah convergence strips generally are best in corners for alignment, not substantial adjustment.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
So if I need a magnet, how strong does it have to be? If you search ebay for round magnets all I see are those rare earth magnets which are super strong and would probably damage the tube.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
So if I need a magnet, how strong does it have to be? If you search ebay for round magnets all I see are those rare earth magnets which are super strong and would probably damage the tube.

When you find them, tell us how the magnets work.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I'm skeptical that magnets will help this - it's all along the entire side(s) - try it though, they're cheap enough.

The only use of magnets I've found is for when you have color purity problems (like a pretty common red splotch on one of the edges which shouldn't be there). Then a strong (and small) neodymium magnet (found on Amazon and the like - I have a bunch of 8mm? x 2mm? ones I use) can do wonders when placed near that area (if degaussing and yoke adjustment won't work beforehand – which is the proper way to fix this most times).

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Another day, another craigslist idiot. Saw a PVM OEV 203 for $375 and the guy won't show any pictures of it working. I then stated best of luck selling above ebay price with one picture of it off and got told to suck some lockjaw lol.

Shit was listed 6 months ago and never sold.

One of these days I'll get a pvmeme.

Last edited:

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Another day, another craigslist idiot. Saw a PVM OEV 203 for $375 and the guy won't show any pictures of it working. I then stated best of luck selling above ebay price with one picture of it off and got told to suck some lockjaw lol.

Shit was listed 6 months ago and never sold.

One of these days I'll get a pvmeme.

My 2 star 20M4U's just hit their last legs. It's a sad day in this house.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Just aging. In the middle of the move and no time for service manuals.

With hope I can make one good one. We shall see. Else it's legit groovy mame or XRGB2 time... not a backup plan I want to invoke but certainly an acceptable one.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
I was going to try those magnets I got today, but I decided against it. As I approached the yoke with the magnet I could feel the magnet and my hand get a little tingle and that freaked me out a bit (is that normal?) so I backed off before I ever put one on the yoke itself. As I approached with the magnet the only change I saw was the red on the test pattern turned orange, but as I didn't actually put the magnet on the yoke this might mean nothing. Still, I'm kind of afraid to try it now. Anyone else have experience with this?

I did change the vertical size to somewhat match the overscan on the horizontal. It's still uneven though, but at this point I don't think there's much I can do. BTW here are all the adjustments in the 'pincushion menu' (which is funny because pincushion isn't actually one of the options):

H Position
V Size
V S Correction
V Lin Correction
E/W Trapezium
V AGC
V Position
V Centering
V Centering DAC SW
V-BLK Start Phase
V-BLK Stop Phase

Most of these I can figure out what they do, but some like the V AGC, E/W Trapezium, and V Centering DAC SW I have no clue on. Still, none of these seem to address my geometry issues anyway.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
The yoke is energized on certain crts from what I've seen.

Also here is a crt discord. I would ask on there.

Wow, maybe it's a good thing I didn't attempt to touch it then? I guess it wasn't just my spidysense tingling.