The REAL Neo Geo OG's: Memories

Neo-jorge

Geese's Thug
20 Year Member
Home carts were never $280. Telesaurus had them all basically for $200, and Babbages had games on sale for $100 a pop a lot of the time.

I stopped buying AES games after Samurai Shodown 1 came out censored though. $200 for a censored game. What a joke. The whole point of the Neo Geo was that it was the same as the arcade--not some neutered sack of shit. I can't believe the idiocy that led SNK to do that.

Plenty of home carts were about 300 bucks a pop new back then in the mid 90's and later half I remember paying that for KOF98, Garou, Metal Slug X, Last Blade 2, ect...Babbages had a very limited selection of games basically the older first gen games. I don't remember if it was Samurai Showdown 1 or 2 but one of those had a way to get the blood to display using a code.

Neo-jorge

Geese's Thug
20 Year Member
I do miss collecting Neo Geo Aes games heres an old pic of my collection from 1998 xmas eve.

Attachments

• IMG_2417.JPG
    IMG_2417.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 185

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
You can turn on blood in the AES versionnof Samurai Shodown 2 by switching the region in the options menu. You can't in the first game.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Probably didn’t blink an eye about the RF or composite connection quality.

My first AES I bought off of someone for $200 with KOF '94 in 98 I think came with an RF switch only.

Last edited:

blotter12

Kabuki Klasher
I do miss collecting Neo Geo Aes games heres an old pic of my collection from 1998 xmas eve.

Before reading this, I saw the pic and thought you were gonna say you got all these games for Christmas that year.

Whippy

Banned
For those who were truly around for the golden age of the Neo Geo in the 90's, you know who you are, $280 new home carts, pre-orders through National Console Support, waiting on 'Apollo69' to release that next rom, fresh sprite rips, NGF Flame Wars:)

What are your BEST memories of the Golden Age?

Pissing away $20 in quarters in 15 minutes playing Metal Slug in my local arcade when it was a new-hot-ticket. I knew from that day on that it would be cost effective to simply own the cab. Years later I settled for a consolized MVS, but the spirit lives on. I will spitefully laugh at how I never have to pay to play ever again.

Missile

Another Striker
Living here in the UK I only knew one person (not a friend) who had a Neo Geo and I never played on it. I saw articles and screenshots in magazines and I really wanted Nam-1975 and Sam Shodown just from the screenshots alone.

A lot of the opinions on the early games in magazine here weren't that favourable. They had a point because games like Nam-1975, Riding Hero, Top Players Golf didn't exactly push the visuals of the system. A game like F-Zero for the SNES was way more impressive and came on a tiny 4 Meg cart, that cost a lot less. I feel most people forgot about the Neo here while the SNES and Megadrive just took everyone's attention. No one normal could afford £150+ for a game anyway.

I first saw a MVS (4 Slot) cab in 1993. I remember being blown away by the scaling on AOF. I couldn't work out why it wasn't blocky at the time, and of course the big sprites were very impresive.

Yamazaki

Belnar Institute Student
15 Year Member
not really an OG since I startet playing and collecting in 2002...

but I do remember buying the likes of Ninja Masters and Magical Drop 3 for approx 250-300$ at Trader in Akihabara in 2003!

LonelyWarbler

Crazed MVS Addict
I remember a friend's dad owned an AES and being absolutely shocked that we were playing an arcade game in his living room. The console was basically a schoolyard legend where I was from because nobody could afford one. It had a pretty strong impact on me which led me to collecting NGPC and Dreamcast stuff(since it had a lot of the good arcade stuff).

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
I had a collection of maybe 20 home carts when I finally sold my system; I knew I was headed for financial ruin when I was paying $200+ for used carts and $300+ for new (Canadian $). Samurai Shodown 2 came out and I let everything go rather than pay for that game. I'm surprised I managed to give it up, and I still have some regret, despite buying a Neo-CD and then MVS setup. I still have my CD and MVS collections, but I have managed to resist the urge to buy an AES again.

The feeling of bringing home a new AES cart, removing the 'Neo Geo' sticker/seal and taking out the massive cart was awesome. It's also difficult to imagine how much better the graphics looked compared to the SNES and Genesis, unless you experienced it first hand. I mean, you can see the difference now, but it was different when the games were state-of-the-art.

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
^ @bulbousbeard That's incorrect
Metal Slug X at launch was $279 from NCSX, I remember because back in those days NCSX would ship games UPS "COD" (Cash on Delivery) and I had to have my money Order ready for the UPS driver when he knocked on the door - I was in college and would skip school to play new Neo releases all day. What a time!

Also around that time most non-KOF releases were a higher price... SNK charged a premium for KOF releases both for AES and MVS. So I'm sure KOF 99 (another 1999 release obviously) was $359

Anyhow this is an awesome topic, I have so many funny stories going back so many years that I will probably write a book about it someday
and by book, I mean a really long diatribe of some kind with a link on ng.com

For myself personally, I was on the DHP 95/96 under a different username when in high school. I believe I joined under the geddon name in late 1997 right before Last Blade 2 launched and Neogeo grabbed me by the balls and hasn't let go in 20+ years

Last edited:

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
I had a collection of maybe 20 home carts when I finally sold my system; I knew I was headed for financial ruin when I was paying $200+ for used carts and $300+ for new (Canadian $). Samurai Shodown 2 came out and I let everything go rather than pay for that game. I'm surprised I managed to give it up, and I still have some regret, despite buying a Neo-CD and then MVS setup. I still have my CD and MVS collections, but I have managed to resist the urge to buy an AES again.

The feeling of bringing home a new AES cart, removing the 'Neo Geo' sticker/seal and taking out the massive cart was awesome. It's also difficult to imagine how much better the graphics looked compared to the SNES and Genesis, unless you experienced it first hand. I mean, you can see the difference now, but it was different when the games were state-of-the-art.

I broke off in the early 2000's and went all MVS when AES carts where still attainable. I felt bad paying $300.00 for a mint MOTW or a new SVC Chaos when I had little to no money in collage, so I went all MVS to complete my collection cheaper. I now have a half complete AES set that I will never complete. Every MVS cart I bought though I could resell for double or triple what I payed for it in the early 2000's on todays market. But nothing beats the look and feel or AES carts so I feel your pain.

Last edited:

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
Ukyo on the DHP mailing list sold me my first AES with World Heroes and KOF94. Absolutely fell in love with KOF94 and it's still an all time favorite that I play regularly.

I then got a CD system, then built a CMVS with help from Chris Ray. We built it in a plastic tub, as ghetto as can be :) But back then you could get old MVS games for like $5, and new releases that weren't hot anymore for like $50, complete kit. I had a Commodore monitor to play it on, and my college dorm had a nice TV that accepted RGB, so didn't need to bother with converting to composite or anything.

My dorm mates and I played the living crap out of SS4. Damn that was a fun year.