KOF14 announced for 2016 on PS4

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
I'll wait to play the fucker.... Still looks like shit.

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
Tecmo did a free to play version for DOA 5 named "core fighters", maybe SNK-P is doing a f2p kof named "core graphics"

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I agree with both posts.

Playmore already said when KOFXIII released that it was their last sprite based fighter as the cost of making HD sprites was too high and couldn't cope with it.
I get it, but then go the XRD way, not this crap.

Oh well, back to KOF98 I guess.
In other words,make it cheap as possible since they don't wanna use sprites any more.Heck they should have contracted it out to arc systems works to begin with.Graphically it reminds me of a early PS2 release.Unless it improves later on i'm not getting my hopes up.Even the up and coming SFV looks better then KOF14.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
you got a source to when snk said XIII was their last sprite based fighter?

I believe it was an article on shoryuken.com (or some other fighting game online website) with an interview to SNK asking why they decided to use sprites instead of other techniques like cell-shading or 3D. That was a lot of years ago, I don't have a link right now.

They said the cost for making high-res sprites was too high and they couldn't make another one after XIII.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Tecmo did a free to play version for DOA 5 named "core fighters", maybe SNK-P is doing a f2p kof named "core graphics"

they might need a better name than that.

latest

Tenshinhan

n00b
I don't mind new direction at all. It makes XII and XIII more meaningful. Those games still exist and play/look amazing. I don't particularly need another game that is essentially XIII. I don't think the footage shown of XIV is enough to judge whether or not this will be good or bad. If I had to guess, it will be along the lines of Maximum Impact. I had some fun with it, but it's not the same as good old 2D KOF (It's definitely interesting and provides some fun). I'm looking forward to this game. It's just exciting to see a new KOF and how they'll translate the characters into 3D (for better or for worse). I really didn't think SNK Playmore was going to make another real game, so this is still pretty neat to me. Definitely need to see more footage.

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
In your opinions....

If you have KOF XIII, do you still need KOF XII....

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
In your opinions....

Not really unless you're a collector. There are some neat features in KOF XII that were taken out with KOF XIII, but they're not really missed.

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
Not really unless you're a collector. There are some neat features in KOF XII that were taken out with KOF XIII, but they're not really missed.

I sold my copy of XII since I already have XIII and I have a PS+ free digital copy on PS3. But now I'm thinking I should've kept it...

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Ok, I was fine with them doing 3D but now that I've seen the trailer... It looks like an early PS3 launch title. Lets hope to god that the grafix get better in the future. srsly tho SNK just can't do 3D. Cel shading or bust.

But to be fair, tekken 7 looks pretty bad but the game is still very good.

Last edited:

Fygee

20 Year Member
I sold my copy of XII since I already have XIII and I have a PS+ free digital copy on PS3. But now I'm thinking I should've kept it...

I'm sure it can be easily reacquired online for pennies on the dollar.

Giga Power

Host for Orochi,
I agree with everyone here that the art style isn't great and that I'd rather have them stick to 2d...but I'm honestly excited that there's something new in the series at all. I'll reserve judgement until I can get my hands on it. I guess I'm going to have to buy a PS4 though between this and Street Fighter V.

Fygee

20 Year Member
If they can somehow get this out before SFV hits the shelves, they might have a better chance at getting sales. However, if SFV is released first, which seems likely, that'll be the standard its compared to and it will tank.

At least with the 2D graphics they could claim that style as their own and not have to compete with the likes of SF4, MvC3, SxT, etc.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I believe it was an article on shoryuken.com (or some other fighting game online website) with an interview to SNK asking why they decided to use sprites instead of other techniques like cell-shading or 3D. That was a lot of years ago, I don't have a link right now.

They said the cost for making high-res sprites was too high and they couldn't make another one after XIII.

If I recall the article you're speaking of I believe they said for KOF XIII, one frame of character animation took an animator 1 full day to make. So looking at a mugen game I think the average frames for a character is at least around 700. So you're talking if one person was working on one character it would take 2 years to make?

Seems crazy though of course there is more then 1 animator working at a time. If that was true I can understand why the switch, however it still has to look good afterwards.

Fygee

20 Year Member
On top of that, the amount of pixels they had to contend with was four times higher than ye olde Neo-Geo resolution pixels. Basically it took four times the amount of work. That's also not including the backgrounds which were also all hand drawn and featured lots of animated sprites as well. Crazy that they were able to accomplish what they did.

Tenshinhan

n00b
In your opinions....

I don't think so. I just like having them all for collection purposes. I feel like the old KOF's stand on their own more than XII and XIII stand on their own (in relation to each other). XIII seems more like an expansion of XII. The old KOF's feel distinct and meaningful from each other.

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I just wonder what the budget for this game was. I bet they hired a bunch of slaves just to save money.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
If I recall the article you're speaking of I believe they said for KOF XIII, one frame of character animation took an animator 1 full day to make. So looking at a mugen game I think the average frames for a character is at least around 700. So you're talking if one person was working on one character it would take 2 years to make?

Seems crazy though of course there is more then 1 animator working at a time. If that was true I can understand why the switch, however it still has to look good afterwards.

You have WAY MORE than 700 frames per character.

Just think about the neutral standing and neutral crouching animation. These are at least 60 frames each since the game runs at 60 frames per second, which means a best case scenario of just 120 frames ONLY for the neutral standing and neutral crouching animation.

700 seems good though for a normal mugen game, but here we're talking about KOF, not your random fan made mugen fighter ;)

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
God it looks like shit.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
You have WAY MORE than 700 frames per character.

Just think about the neutral standing and neutral crouching animation. These are at least 60 frames each since the game runs at 60 frames per second, which means a best case scenario of just 120 frames ONLY for the neutral standing and neutral crouching animation.

700 seems good though for a normal mugen game, but here we're talking about KOF, not your random fan made mugen fighter ;)

I totally agree it's probably more then 700. I threw that example out there as a starting point. Actually KOF XIII is 40 FPS. When asked about it the producer said because if it were more frames it wouldn't act like a KOF game anymore. KOF has always been 40 FPS

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
Wow, really? I've been into fighting games since, like, forever and completely missed this 40 fps one! You really never stop learning :D

JohnnyFever

Mr. Big's Thug
I wonder what the game they scrapped and fired the producer (or let go not sure which) looked like if they are showing this garbage?

Personally I would have kept the XIII sprites, made B Jenet, Tizoc, Gato, and Wild Wolf Terry Sprites (with recycled animations from regular Terry) and threw them on some new stages, maybe change around a few moves and said that was XIV. After that you already have a start into making Garou 2. But Nooooooo. Let's make something, scrap it then churn out crap that caused Playmore to shut down the youtube comments section cause the press was all bad. Makes total sense.

Completely agree. Capcom has been doing it for years, and they're still churning them out. It works.