SNK vs. Capcom SVC Chaos - bootleg or not?

dkarDaGobert

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Hey,

got this one from this thread today.
what do you think, i'm a newb but this looks like a boot for me - and i think he knew it because the seller deleted his pics after it was sold to me..

:oh_no:

Asure

Captain Dick,
What i don't get, why all the trouble with PLUS and Altera's on the boards to copy/emulate the SNK protection.
At the time the boards were bootlegged, Mame already had the code to decrypt the C roms and extract the missing rom from the end of the C chars, everything could already be decrypted..

Instead each board i see they did some copy of the protection into an altera. Why oh why. :)

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
don't own a working neogeo yet, its still somewhere on the road. hope to receive it tomorrow :)

Definitely a boot, though some people like the bootleg of that game as it gives you easy access to the hidden and boss characters. You'd probably be able to unload it here easily (to KidPanda) if it is a PLUS and you don't want it ;)

2point0

NEST Puppet
Off the top of my head, legit English versions of SVC, MS5, SSV and KOF2003, the newest games, all labels were in light blue text with black cartridge cases. I haven't seen a legit English version of these carts in clear cases.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Definitely a boot, though some people like the bootleg of that game as it gives you easy access to the hidden and boss characters. You'd probably be able to unload it here easily (to KidPanda) if it is a PLUS and you don't want it ;)

Yes you can unload it here, but alas, I have the PLUS already ;)

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Yes you can unload it here, but alas, I have the PLUS already ;)

Maybe it's the Super Plus version? I've come across a PLUS version that has about 2/3 of the bosses unlocked and a SUPER PLUS that has them all unlocked. In addition to the ones that have a clean title screen vs. ones that have PLUS flashing during the intro sequence.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
SvC:C/P is an odd cart.

Games desire the PLUS cart more than collectors (and vice versa) for reasons stated above.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
SvC:C/P is an odd cart.

Games desire the PLUS cart more than collectors (and vice versa) for reasons stated above.

That was the main reason I got that version, I'm going to play the hell out of it, not have it sit on the shelf to talk about. ;)

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Ditto here. I play that on the multicart for all the unlocked characters.

tcdev

NEST Puppet
What i don't get, why all the trouble with PLUS and Altera's on the boards to copy/emulate the SNK protection.
At the time the boards were bootlegged, Mame already had the code to decrypt the C roms and extract the missing rom from the end of the C chars, everything could already be decrypted..

Instead each board i see they did some copy of the protection into an altera. Why oh why. :)
Because in a MAME driver, it's possible to - in effect - 'patch' the hardware to circumvent the protection, or at the very least, emulate the protection in a manner that is completely unlike the hardware implementation.

You don't have that same ability in a cartridge - even a bootleg one - because the program ROM and the NeoGeo hardware dictate how that protection is accessed and how the results are interpreted. Depending on how that protection is implemented, you may have absolutely no other option than to emulate it (via Altera CPLD for example) without patching the program ROMs.

ROBO2011

Crazed MVS Addict
I have the same boot, because I don't care for SVC Chaos kits. Bought it very cheap ( around 25 dollars)from a nice member here. It plays very well.

Asure

Captain Dick,
Because in a MAME driver, it's possible to - in effect - 'patch' the hardware to circumvent the protection, or at the very least, emulate the protection in a manner that is completely unlike the hardware implementation.

You don't have that same ability in a cartridge - even a bootleg one - because the program ROM and the NeoGeo hardware dictate how that protection is accessed and how the results are interpreted. Depending on how that protection is implemented, you may have absolutely no other option than to emulate it (via Altera CPLD for example) without patching the program ROMs.

From the way the original boards are set up, i always understood that the extra protection made it impossible to simply desolder & dump the S1 since it was 'inside' the C-roms.
Tools were then built to extract the right data from the C rom, and then decrypt the C roms in the process. As i understood the Neo itself was never aware of the protection on the board, and it was totally transparant.
I guess i am misunderstanding that we could build a working 'bootleg' of svc with unencrypted roms?