PCE Super SD System 3 - Terraonion New Product (Dec 2017)

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
When I bought my SuperGrafx I used composite for about a year. One of the best composite signals I can remember.

neozeed64

n00b
The composite output from my turbo-duo and pce-duor are the best I have seen from any console. I don't understand how one composite signal can be better than another but nec has the best in the business. I can't wait to get this ....:drool:

neopolo

n00b
I look forward to receiving mine.
I use it on a panasonic plasma pro.

i put a feedback when i receive it.

neosd,you and your team are fantastic. :buttrock::buttrock:

torgo100

Kuroko's Training Dummy
OSSC is FINALLY being delivered today! Got the Amazon RGB cable, so I can at least start dialing it in with the Saturn/Genesis :-)

fille1976

Crossed Swords Squire
I got mine today,tryed with my megadrive 2 cable,works,but same problem as many have,some sort of interference.
So i tryed the output via my core grafx(rgb modded),its working,no interference,but have problems with cdgames,akumajou dracula for example has fx sound but no music,could be the image,gona test first with new image.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
fille, with cd games you need to pull CD audio from the SD3. The PC Engine doesn't reroute CD audio back to the main system's AV jack like a Genesis does. What you could do is use RGB from your core and use a Genesis 2 composite cable for the stereo audio.

fille1976

Crossed Swords Squire
Aha,but i don't have composite cable.
But gona wait till neosd have the solution for this problem,i can wait.
I must have somewhere an original megadrive 2 cable from my multimega,but i don't know where it is at the moment.
Gona try to find that,and surprise for me,its working fine with that cable.
Thx again neosd for this product,working fine,tested akumajou dracula x-double dragon-r-type ,working perfekt.
Now tested als ofor interference like yodd have,but no lines of interference here.
And the box and manual looks very professional,top product,gona test tomorrow further as i now gona watch star trek discovery.

Last edited:

Aburamushi

n00b
Hi everyone,

I have one since 1 week now. I have no problem with rgb output on my PVM. I use a Megadrive 2 cable. Picture is great, sound is perfect. I have no interference.
Using it on my supergrafx, will try with a coregrafx 2 when I can because I can't rese to menu, even with the game trigger enabled.

Thanks TerraOnion and NEOSD :D

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
So I finally got my unit from the day one batch today. I have to say I am disappointed. The video signal is very very bad with lots of noise and in some cases missing colors. The audio is not amplified in any way and I have to max out my speakers to be able to hear it even a little, then it has audible video and processor noise bleeding into it. The casing is nice, but it was not assembled correctly. I ended up removing the screws and reassembling it. The way it was I could not slide it onto my original pc engine. With the casing correctly assembled it does slide on but it doesn't fit straight on the unit and I do notice that it drags on the plastic as it slides on.

As for operation of the device itself, I have run into quite a few issues with the cd playback. I will make the assumption this is my rips, but they do work just fine when played from the CD. The issues I have encountered are the playback freezing completely, the wrong sound effects or music being played, the wrong cutscenes being played or skipping all together. The menu is not very intuitive and I find myself selecting the options constantly. I think it would have made more sense to have 2 be go back, 1 be select, and options be tied to start. That is just my opinion on the buttons.

For the setups I have tried, 2 different Retro-Access csync coaxially shielded genesis2 cables, a cheap genesis2 cable, generic genesis2 composite video cables, direct into my Framemeister, through a GScartsw_lite into the Framemeister, and direct into my PVM-1954Q. I have also tried this with my TurboGrafx 16. Both consoles are fully recapped with no additional RGB amps inside. Both are in perfect working order without the device. Both have had the jailbar fix applied internally.

I would love to be of any assistance in determining how to fix this. NeoSD and NeoDev, please feel free to request information from me.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
So I finally got my unit from the day one batch today. I have to say I am disappointed. The video signal is very very bad with lots of noise and in some cases missing colors. The audio is not amplified in any way and I have to max out my speakers to be able to hear it even a little, then it has audible video and processor noise bleeding into it. The casing is nice, but it was not assembled correctly. I ended up removing the screws and reassembling it. The way it was I could not slide it onto my original pc engine. With the casing correctly assembled it does slide on but it doesn't fit straight on the unit and I do notice that it drags on the plastic as it slides on.

As for operation of the device itself, I have run into quite a few issues with the cd playback. I will make the assumption this is my rips, but they do work just fine when played from the CD. The issues I have encountered are the playback freezing completely, the wrong sound effects or music being played, the wrong cutscenes being played or skipping all together. The menu is not very intuitive and I find myself selecting the options constantly. I think it would have made more sense to have 2 be go back, 1 be select, and options be tied to start. That is just my opinion on the buttons.

For the setups I have tried, 2 different Retro-Access csync coaxially shielded genesis2 cables, a cheap genesis2 cable, generic genesis2 composite video cables, direct into my Framemeister, through a GScartsw_lite into the Framemeister, and direct into my PVM-1954Q. I have also tried this with my TurboGrafx 16. Both consoles are fully recapped with no additional RGB amps inside. Both are in perfect working order without the device. Both have had the jailbar fix applied internally.

I would love to be of any assistance in determining how to fix this. NeoSD and NeoDev, please feel free to request information from me.

Are you running on a Crt or going through a upscaler.

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
I don't know if there are any differences from the different day batches either. So I tried to include as much detail as I could.

I do want to say, I am not trying to bash the device. I love what it's trying to do, but so far the experience is not good. I also want to help as much as I can to find solutions to the issues.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I haven't had any compatibility issues yet. It could be your rips.

Here is my 64GB microsd image:

***OOPPSS....

Feel free to download it and try it out.

Also, leave the in-game trigger disabled (if you enabled it) it has been reported to cause some random issues.

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug

***OOPPSS....

Also, leave the in-game trigger disabled (if you enabled it) it has been reported to cause some random issues.

I am downloading it now and will try it out. I am absolutely willing to believe that at least some of the issues could be rip related. I tried 2 different rips of Rondo of Blood and had different audio results with each, but the same freezing and cutscene skipping with both.

neozeed64

n00b
You could try checking your rips with tocfixer. Havn't used it in years but may help you sort them.

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
I will say I have tried multiple rips at this point with similar issues. Including rips I made from my original discs.

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug

***OOPPSS....

I am unzipping your files as I type this. I took a quick look at some of the CD rips you have and so far I have tried the same ones you have in your zip. Obviously I haven't tried ever single disc yet, but of the ones that I tried that were not my own rips, we are matching.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I am unzipping your files as I type this. I took a quick look at some of the CD rips you have and so far I have tried the same ones you have in your zip. Obviously I haven't tried ever single disc yet, but of the ones that I tried that were not my own rips, we are matching.

Try Re-Formatting the Sd card and add everything on again.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
My Super SD arrived today, so here's a rundown on how it's behaving on my SuperGrafx. I recently recapped and jailbar-fixed my SuperGrafx, so it can be considered "fresh" in that department.

1) The Super SD shell fits the SuperGrafx shell perfectly - no issues.

2) I'm using a high-quality shielded Genesis RGB SCART cable produced by "gamekingno1" on Ebay, fed into a gscartsw, fed into an OSSC running 5X upscaling into an LG OLED 4K TV. The cable always delivered clean, outstanding quality on my JVC X'Eye, and it works quite well with the Super SD as well. If I put my nose right up against the TV glass, I can make out a tiny bit of RF distortion on solid colors, but at a normal playing distance, it looks great. No sign of strobing, flashing or any audio issues. It has a ferrite core clamped over the cable adjacent to the console plug if that's of interest to anyone.

3) I'd heard reports of game issues with the SuperGrafx hardware, and with the in-game reset option enabled. As such, I disabled the in-game reset option first thing. For the most part, HuCards and CD games both played fine, but so far I have encountered these issues:
a) Ghouls N Ghosts froze shortly after starting the second level. I power-cycled the hardware and didn't encounter the freeze on a second playthrough.
b) Rayxanabar III reset back to the Super CD ROM BIOS screen while fighting the second boss.

I'll update the thread if I encounter more compatibility issues to report.

Photo Jan 22, 9 22 08 PM.jpgPhoto Jan 22, 10 54 44 PM.jpgPhoto Jan 22, 11 07 23 PM.jpg