PCE Super SD System 3 - Terraonion New Product (Dec 2017)

Loukey

n00b
I just don’t get what possible satisfaction/gratification he was getting from trolling a mod. Is that what passes for fun these days? :confused:

When I first started reading the forum I thought you might be pretty harsh, but it hasn’t taken too long to figure out why.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I just don’t get what possible satisfaction/gratification he was getting from trolling a mod. Is that what passes for fun these days? :confused:

When I first started reading the forum I thought you might be pretty harsh, but it hasn’t taken too long to figure out why.

He got participation awards, was told everyone's opinion matters, it can't hurt to ask, yadda yadda yadda

Self entitled, too lazy to read people are going to catch it.

People with tech problems do get treated better.

DracoBlade

Cham Cham's Banana
About to get a Super SD System 3. Is it worth going all the way and purchase a packapunch cable?
I've been using Packapunch for about a year and a half Nostromo, best build quality I've ever seen for RGB cables. Clean signal.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
My Life in Gaming just uploaded a video-review for the Super SD System 3...

Yay! Another "but the video is not perfect" review... The video is bloody amazing, some people need to realise that this is primarily a device to allow you to play all games. To be fair, they did focus on the ADPCM issue, which I wasn't 100% sure on but I did point out a sound issue on "Ai Cho Aniki" when testing - it sounded a bit odd, but I don't think TO (nor me) were convinced there was actually a fault at the time. The good news is that's probably solvable with firmware update I think.

Note to TO - next time you decide to "help people out" by adding in extra features like RGB, DONT! Just focus on the main functionality as there's no pleasing some people.

People expect SO much now, they are expecting 30 year old systems to output HDMI like sound and video. I suggest they stick to their PS4s and emulation...

Tgames

War Room Troll
Not "bloody amazing" for first customers, that we still waiting for a replacement units...

I use only 2 times my SSDS3 with a Megadrive 2 CSYNC Packapunch cable from Retro UK Cables, because they are too much noices on the picture (even with a CRT), it's unplayable.

So for the moment it's unusable for first customers. Don't forget that.

Last edited:
All I need is a Scart cable which takes audio from the SSDS3 and RGB from my modded PCE. Best of both worlds.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Yay! Another "but the video is not perfect" review...

...Note to TO - next time you decide to "help people out" by adding in extra features like RGB, DONT! Just focus on the main functionality as there's no pleasing some people.

Seriously dude? That was an extremely well-rounded review that points out all the pros and cons of the device and let's the consumer make a judgement call. I don't think anyone wants reviews that gloss things over. If those are the sorts of reviews that you want to peddle yourself..go right ahead.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Not "bloody amazing" for first customers, that we still waiting for a replacement units...

I use only 2 times my SSDS3 with a Megadrive 2 CSYNC Packapunch cable from Retro UK Cables, because they are too much noices on the picture (even with a CRT), it's unplayable.

Not really sure what you're on about, I have a rev 1 and have had zero issues with it being "unplayable". Using a plain vanilla Scart cable on a PVM and it looks good. Sounds to me you're just a snob that has to have everything perfect. I have literally played all the way through like 60 game so far.

6f1e4074f2c63590e7394535044d47cd.jpg

Last edited:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
And here I thought the drama would end when Alex started his new forum...

Luckily for you guys... my involvement is suspended for now...

I helped the Terraonion team over the past 18 months... time to take a back seat for a while...

Go ahead and play...

xROTx

Tech&Music

Another Striker
Seriously dude? That was an extremely well-rounded review that points out all the pros and cons of the device and let's the consumer make a judgement call. I don't think anyone wants reviews that gloss things over. If those are the sorts of reviews that you want to peddle yourself..go right ahead.

QFT. Coury was really positive about the product and didn't go into the typical "the sky is falling" RGB rant that some people on Twitter and the likes have gone into. He mentioned that on a CRT you probably won't notice it, that it wasn't that bad, that jailbars are unavoidable on the console without mods which isn't the SSDS3's fault, etc. etc., and recommended the product in the end. I do agree that perhaps TerraOnion, in case they will make flashcards for other systems, that perhaps it's best to just focus on that and leave the video part to the console owners themselves to figure out (mod it, have it modded, or stick with what the console itself has to offer).

It's very clear that TerraOnion's expertise is in flashcards, and while I must admit that a built-in RGB mod is a great gift, it has to be absolutely perfect or the RGB Hatemob will just shit on you, and perhaps TO should consider whether it's worth the hassle or not. If they can do it just perfect, great, if not, they're gonna get that mob after them again, and I really would hate to see TO lose their motivation and passion for these projects due to the constant barage of self-proclaimed RGB geniuses. But again, that video was definitely far, far from negative, rather it showed it in a fair manner.

Last edited:

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot

I am a "first customer" and the video and audio is bloody amazing imo. I've been working my way around numerous TV's on the 1st rev proto, and 2nd rev (recall model) and there's hardly anything I can see or hear that I would class a problem tbh. It might help if you could upload a video of your problem! Not disputing you've got a problem with yours, I just don't see how it can be unplayable.

The review was OK, but when you show a mega close up of "really really faint wavy lines" and make out its some kind of issue that people should give a shit about, that's what annoys me tbh. I guess we now live in a world where if something is not absolutely perfect, we should focus on those imperfections and make a show out of it.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Most people are going to laugh off the close up but for a few it's a big deal. I'd rather TO not have to deal with more of those fucks and if the video saves us all from one more...thank you.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Most people are going to laugh off the close up but for a few it's a big deal. I'd rather TO not have to deal with more of those fucks and if the video saves us all from one more...thank you.

That's a good point actually! I hadn't thought of it like that until now.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
SSDS3, instruction manual, and collectible bubble wrap.

Oh man, nobody told me the bubble wrap was collectible! I think I threw it away. I should have gone with my gut and never opened the box. It could have stayed on the shelf, away from unstable air, pristine, forever.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Oh man, nobody told me the bubble wrap was collectible! I think I threw it away. I should have gone with my gut and never opened the box. It could have stayed on the shelf, away from unstable air, pristine, forever.

Would make a good conversation piece.

jamon1567

n00b
I am a "first customer" and the video and audio is bloody amazing imo. I've been working my way around numerous TV's on the 1st rev proto, and 2nd rev (recall model) and there's hardly anything I can see or hear that I would class a problem tbh. It might help if you could upload a video of your problem! Not disputing you've got a problem with yours, I just don't see how it can be unplayable.

The review was OK, but when you show a mega close up of "really really faint wavy lines" and make out its some kind of issue that people should give a shit about, that's what annoys me tbh. I guess we now live in a world where if something is not absolutely perfect, we should focus on those imperfections and make a show out of it.

Perhaps it's not your thing, but if you've watched their other videos, that's just what they do. They didn't single out TO or anything.

I'm just happy that we got this product if they decide to drop RGB. I can't think of many other projects they might do that would benefit from it much, but for PCE which has a pretty high barrier to entry if you want to do RGB right (a Duo, which is pretty pricey to begin with, along with a recap and an RGB mod), this was a godsend. Every other sytem I can think of that they might consider an ODE for already have RGB built in anyway, so hopefully this doesn't discourage them.

Last edited:

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
Just got mine up and running today. Haven't had a lot of hands on time as of yet.

Wasn't all that hard to get things organized properly on the MicroSD and once I got the right BIOS, I was good to go.

Haven't really noticed any sound issues. Looks good graphically. Haven't played many games, but did notice a few graphical glitches during gameplay of Cotton. Might not even be due to the SSD3 as I never tested the PCE itself out otherwise, not that I could play Cotton on it anyhow. It's not anything I can't look past, though. Very happy with it and look forward to enjoying it for quite a while.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I thought the My Life in Gaming review was informative. Really looking forward to receiving the device.

Also, I couldn’t see any of the supposed screen issues in that video when he did the side by side comparisons, so lucky me, my eyesight is either completely shot or I am not an OCD autistic neckbeard.

I guess I should go get my eyes checked then.

zz99

I've got one of the very first units. Been running it through a bog standard Megadrive scart lead purchased off Amazon into an OSSC and out to a 49" sony 4K TV.

Picture is boody marvellous and not noticed any sound issues. There's a bit of dodgyness in Caslevania X, which I only checked after seeing the post on the TO website, obviously I need to clean my glasses as I didn't really notice it while playing the game before then :)

haightc

n00b
Anyone in the west US coast got there SSD3 yet that was Corroes, according to my tracked number they shipped mine on the 20th of last month. I was just wondering in a I get a ballpark estimate of when it might show up. I think some said expect ~2 weeks, but I am guessing they where east coast or midwest.