PCE Super SD System 3 - Terraonion New Product (Dec 2017)

Aeana

n00b
I been flipping the capacitors all day long on the current stock boards, all the boards shipped since today will have the C60 cap flipped.
This is the first batch shipped this week, as people have not let me work on shipments until today, with emails and other stuff.
On the following weeks we are going to keep shipping until we are up to date. And i hope much more batches.

Consider this week a wasted shipping week cause the C60 cap party, so there is another more week of delays on the shipment queue cause that, sum the extra time i will have to put on disasamble units, flipping caps and assembly units again.

I have been talking with Voultar today about the RGB noise some guys are reporting on the V2 board and others are not.
I think the V2 board is OK and the source of the RGB noise those few guys are reporting is on theyr setup (the console itself, the power supply, the video cable or who knows what) BUT to be sure i am not wrong, i decided to ship a V2 board to Voultar so he can examine it and give us all a conclusion.

In the meainwhile, and until Voultar give us all a conclusion, we are not going to discus with anyone else about the RGB.

The AUDIO noise isue is a fact and we are going to work on that next week. We think we can deliver a software solution cause we think to know the source of the issue and how to fix it by software. Until we deliver a solution, you guys can keep discussing about that, but we are not going to discuss with anyone else about that again.

I see Rot has put the forum in private mode and this is the reason i am posting here, even i said i would never post again. I think its a bad decision when there is nothing to hide and you try to hide this "nothing".
To me, it looks like the whole fact of putting the forum on private mode smells like there is a reason for that, this looks fishy to my eyes. I hope he puts it back until we have our own forum up.

Our own forum is coming, but i have decided to not write on forums anymore. I need to get my life back cause terrible things happened to myself this week.
I plan to find a way to keep working in what i like and love, while protecting my health and my family. No more forums for me, i don´t have energy or time for such things.

I always wanted everyone to be happy with our products as my main goal, this goes before making money or anything else.

I decided that what i wanted to do with my life was to create devices that i want for myself and no one produces. I been doing my best with the few resources we had, among the last 18 month. Some things i did better, others i did worst but i always tried to improve what it wasn´t perfect.
I have put much more than I should, I totally abandoned my life , wife and kids for this dream. This decision has already afected the ones i love, i never thought about them before putting myself on this situation and this says a lot (BAD) about me.

If there is anything on my hand to please our customers i will sure put my energy and resources on that, but i am not going to destroy my life or damage my famility doing that anymore, this has proven to be a mistake.

This whole thing (me answering everyone at any time) has proven to damage my health and my family so i have to quit forums and discussing with people.

I will keep doing my work, imagining products, finding people that helps becoming those a reality and producing.

I just wish us all the best luck, as at the end of the day we both want the same thing : the better possible products.

Alex,

Thank you for the update. And especially thank you for taking the extra time to flip the capacitor even though it sounds like it wasn't such a big cause for concern.
Based on everything you've said, I think it is absolutely the right decision to leave forums for a while. I hope you manage to find a good work/life balance and continue to pursue projects you're passionate about! I'm only just learning about Terraonion, but the Super SD System 3 is a very valuable product to me. Nobody else was going to produce something like this, and thanks to you I'll have even more longevity in my PC Engine's life.

Will be fine in the and , and guys , this is an awesome product ! I'm very happy to keep my SSS3 in hands ! Count on my support !

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Thanks for the words Alex.

A wise man once said that everyone needs to "Unplug" from the forums now and then.

Look after yourself and those that matter. We look forward to what you and TO produce in the future!

monads

Mr. Big's Thug
10 Year Member
Yes, thanks for the details Voultar!! I'll just reverse C60 and put to rest!! I am using the composite video output.

Successfully flipped C60!! I can't tell any in-game differences from previously though, but glad I did anyway. Note for others if you're going to DIY make sure you have a hot air gun handy because I didn't have much luck using a desoldering or regular solder iron to pry loose. Plus the hot air gun made it even easier to re-solder after repositioning!!

Terraonion/Alex, the SD System 3 is probably retro gaming device of 2018!!! Please don't let the few from discouraging your awesome work!!!

Last edited:
About to get a Super SD System 3. Is it worth going all the way and purchase a packapunch cable?

takeshi385

n00b
IMG1.jpg

HATE ME. Admittedly, I stole someone's idea for the power led vents. Just got done. New caps, retro bright and jailbar fix.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
I been flipping the capacitors all day long on the current stock boards, all the boards shipped since today will have the C60 cap flipped.
This is the first batch shipped this week, as people have not let me work on shipments until today, with emails and other stuff.
On the following weeks we are going to keep shipping until we are up to date. And i hope much more batches.

Consider this week a wasted shipping week cause the C60 cap party, so there is another more week of delays on the shipment queue cause that, sum the extra time i will have to put on disasamble units, flipping caps and assembly units again.

I have been talking with Voultar today about the RGB noise some guys are reporting on the V2 board and others are not.
I think the V2 board is OK and the source of the RGB noise those few guys are reporting is on theyr setup (the console itself, the power supply, the video cable or who knows what) BUT to be sure i am not wrong, i decided to ship a V2 board to Voultar so he can examine it and give us all a conclusion.

In the meainwhile, and until Voultar give us all a conclusion, we are not going to discus with anyone else about the RGB.

The AUDIO noise isue is a fact and we are going to work on that next week. We think we can deliver a software solution cause we think to know the source of the issue and how to fix it by software. Until we deliver a solution, you guys can keep discussing about that, but we are not going to discuss with anyone else about that again.

I see Rot has put the forum in private mode and this is the reason i am posting here, even i said i would never post again. I think its a bad decision when there is nothing to hide and you try to hide this "nothing".
To me, it looks like the whole fact of putting the forum on private mode smells like there is a reason for that, this looks fishy to my eyes. I hope he puts it back until we have our own forum up.

Our own forum is coming, but i have decided to not write on forums anymore. I need to get my life back cause terrible things happened to myself this week.
I plan to find a way to keep working in what i like and love, while protecting my health and my family. No more forums for me, i don´t have energy or time for such things.

I always wanted everyone to be happy with our products as my main goal, this goes before making money or anything else.

I decided that what i wanted to do with my life was to create devices that i want for myself and no one produces. I been doing my best with the few resources we had, among the last 18 month. Some things i did better, others i did worst but i always tried to improve what it wasn´t perfect.
I have put much more than I should, I totally abandoned my life , wife and kids for this dream. This decision has already afected the ones i love, i never thought about them before putting myself on this situation and this says a lot (BAD) about me.

If there is anything on my hand to please our customers i will sure put my energy and resources on that, but i am not going to destroy my life or damage my famility doing that anymore, this has proven to be a mistake.

This whole thing (me answering everyone at any time) has proven to damage my health and my family so i have to quit forums and discussing with people.

I will keep doing my work, imagining products, finding people that helps becoming those a reality and producing.

I just wish us all the best luck, as at the end of the day we both want the same thing : the better possible products.

Alex,

All I can say is - don't get stressed, it's all really minor stuff imho. V2 is fine, cap issue is kind of a none issue imo. If anyone wants their cap on a shipped v2 board swapping around there are plenty of places and people that can do it really quickly and easily. Regardless of whether v1, or v2 board this IS an amazing product! The fact there is so very little wrong with this product is a miracle in its own right too! How many small companies can produce something to this very high level in such a short period of time - not many at all! One piece of advice I would give you is don't take things personally - you need a PR person at some point, someone to isolate you guys from the moaning public, and someone who isn't emotionally invested in the technical aspects of the product. With that in place you would be able to better focus on what you need to do without feeling the negative energy that people can fire at you.

Involving Voultar is a very good idea - he's certainly a smart guy, I wish I had 1% of his confidence level lol, but that can make some of what he says seem arrogant, but his input is invaluable imo. Not everything you hear as a negative is really a negative! We live in a world where people seem to pick up on the most insanely small detail! I still cannot believe someone spotted that cap lol, makes me wonder what people do in the evenings - sit down inspecting PCBs to make sure everything is the right way around lol. Crazy, but that's the world we live in. At the end of the day your product gets better and better because of these things - NOT worse.

Most importantly, don't stress, enjoy and make time for your families and just chill. Everything is good here, all positive moving forward.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
HORI Fighting Commander or Avenue Pad 6?

I could't get along with the layout of the HFC, the buttons are too far apart. The AP6, though not perfect, is a better choice. Perfect = XE1 HE Pro, even for the most die-hard pad users. Never missed the other four buttons on the PCE.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I could't get along with the layout of the HFC, the buttons are too far apart. The AP6, though not perfect, is a better choice. Perfect = XE1 HE Pro, even for the most die-hard pad users. Never missed the other four buttons on the PCE.

I'm not a fan of the XE-1, Too small for my panda paws. I know some people swear by it, but I just made a stick using a pad hack, (no destructive of course), Plus I get to choose what kind of stick I want to use.

zbr

n00b
Finally had some time to play with my SSD3. It actually shipped last week and got delivered faster than I thought!

Playing with it on an older consumer-grade CRT setup, I mainly use the composite video. There was no noticeable blemish on the video; if anything, the video was noticeably really good for a composite signal. Had it not been mentioned here, I would've had no way to notice the reversed cap issue, but since it seems to be confirmed, I'll try DIY fixing it.
Sadly, on my own PCE, it seems that there is a problem with the right-channel pin on the ext bus, so I'll postpone the playing a bit till I get another console or manage to fix this one.

Overall, great and impressive project! Thank you very much.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

I like the look of the HORI Fighting Commander but have the Avenue Pad 6. It’s a little big but it’s great for SF2.

When it comes to sticks, the HORI Fighting Stick Multi for me. Micomsoft’s sticks look great though!

SavagePencil

Crazed MVS Addict
That's only the Multi though, correct? The Fighting Stick PC I believe is hard-wired.

The Multi is crazy pricey.

I bought a Multi that was missing its Genesis cable and then just used a SNES -> Genesis converter. It made it much more affordable.

zbr

n00b
Sadly, on my own PCE, it seems that there is a problem with the right-channel pin on the ext bus

Thinking about it, if the lack of right-channel audio was a problem with the console itself, it shouldn't be happening with PCE CD games, right? Since CD music (and in-menu sound effects?) are handled by the SSD3 and not the console. I'll test with another AV cable and see if it was a problem with that.

I got my SSDS3 today and after having used it throughout the day I can only say that this device is stunning. I have what I guess some would describe as a high-end setup and I have had no issues besides the minor audio buzz that TO has already confirmed they will work on through a software update. This audio buzz is only apparent in the background if I crank up the volume. I use a Coregrafx with a jailbar fix and the image quality through both my OSSC and my Framemeister is excellent. Only if I turn of the LPF on the OSSC I can see some video noise but that is just like for just about any retro console. I find it hard to understand people who seem to compare retro consoles to modern consoles in terms of audio/video noise, and then acting like leaking assholes behind their keyboards on various forums instead of actually trying to understand what might cause such noise in their own setup.

If anyone is interested my setup consist of:
- Rev 2 SSDS3, with the C60 cap flipped
- Official Coregrafx power supply
- Sandisk Ultra 32GB SD card
- Coregrafx with jailbar fix
- PACKAPUNCH CSYNC RGB cable from RGC
- Hydra SCART switch (along with a high-end SCART cable from the switch to the OSSC)
- OSSC (also tried it with my Framemeister without issues)
- LG B7 OLED TV

Thanks to Alex and everyone in the Terraonion team for all your efforts you put into creating and supporting this device, as well as the NeoSD! And also most important, take care of yourself Alex! Health, family and friends is what is most important.

sheik

n00b
I’m in the UK, ordered in February and DHL said they’d deliver today. This morning I got a text saying my name is on a “Denied Party” list so they’ve blocked it. Sent a scan of my passport in by 10am, got unblocked and they said they’d still deliver today. But it’s 7pm now so I think I’m bang out of luck.
Was all looking forwards to doing my first cap flip too ;).

More info about the Denied Party list: http://www.dhl.co.uk/en/important_information/080217.html

Edit: I’m hoping to use mine on a SuperGrafx I bought at the same time as my SSSD3 order. I don’t even know if it works yet as I can’t easily hook it up without the RGB. I suspect the third party PSU I’ve bought won’t be good enough. I’ll just be relieved to get a picture to be honest!

Last edited:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I’m in the UK, ordered in February and DHL said they’d deliver today. This morning I got a text saying my name is on a “Denied Party” list so they’ve blocked it. Sent a scan of my passport in by 10am, got unblocked and they said they’d still deliver today. But it’s 7pm now so I think I’m bang out of luck.
Was all looking forwards to doing my first cap flip too ;).

More info about the Denied Party list: http://www.dhl.co.uk/en/important_information/080217.html

I suppose it'll arrive....

Thanks for the info... let's not stress out Alex as really... it's not his fault...

xROTx

PS. Next...

EDIT. Oh yes... I am the ultimate mod... I read shit...

Rave

n00b
Hi All,

Just wanted to say a big thank you to Terraonion team.

The SSDS3 is a truly amazing product, and I am very happy with it, works perfectly with my HDTV and OSSC (no fiddling needed!)

Keep up the stirling work guys, you rock!

Ordered 31/1/18
Despatched 5/4/18
Received 6/4/18