Dreamcast converter

Neccros007

n00b
Does ANYONE currently make or sell some sort of adapter that plugs into a DC and then lets you use a non-DC controller??

I want to use one of my fight sticks but dont want to convert it just for the DC.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Does ANYONE currently make or sell some sort of adapter that plugs into a DC and then lets you use a non-DC controller??

I want to use one of my fight sticks but dont want to convert it just for the DC.

Of course. What kind of controller are you using? I use a Saturn pad with my dreamcast.

Neccros007

n00b
I have a PS3 Mad Catz TE fight stick that I'd rather not gut to put a Brook or similar board hence the want to use a plug in adapter

jdoll

Kuroko's Training Dummy
i've seen ps2 and saturn ones on ebay bit pricey whats wrong with the dc controller?

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
1. It's set for 4 button when a lot of fighters are 6
2. Most old timers are used to smaller pads then the DC it feels awkward in general. Coincidentaly the original xbox had that same problem with it's 1st gen controllers
3. The op wanted to use his PS3 joystick on the dreamcast. The sticks for DC are not as good as the PS3 gen joysticks.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
You probably should get a ps2 stick as those have the most adapters available. If you plan to just have one stick, get yourself a ps360+ or Brooks universal. That way you just need to change the cable for which ever system you plan to play your stick on. Don't have too worry about lag w convertots.

Neccros007

n00b
You probably should get a ps2 stick as those have the most adapters available. If you plan to just have one stick, get yourself a ps360+ or Brooks universal. That way you just need to change the cable for which ever system you plan to play your stick on. Don't have too worry about lag w convertots.

I have 3 sticks and the one I want to use w/o a brook or PS360+ is a mint condition Round 1 TE...

I prefer not to hack it up and I thought about the PS360+ originally but the damn ethernet to DC cables are out of stock all over... So I am fine with a converter.... Im not concerned with lag since Im a casual player and just want to pick up some shmups and fighters for my DC. Its not my main focus console, I just didnt want to buy another stick and use what I already have.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
It would be cheaper. I'm debating hacking up a f'ed up DC pad and a Hori RAP VX with a shitty cord.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I'm probably not one to ask but as long as you can wire it up and the quality you're putting in isn't too shitty (see Hori USB cables) it shouldn't really matter.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Pad hacks are fucking easy as long as you have average soldering skills, doesn't take much to make it work but it might if you want to share your mod work here. ;)

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
finding a common ground pcb can be a pita. The madcatz Dc controller is hit or miss. THere are some that are common ground and there are some that are not, its 50/50. Wont know until you open it up.
Honestly i suggest using a multi console Cthulhu board.
https://paradisearcadeshop.com/fgc-console-joystick/1828-toodles-mc-cthulhu.html
You can just replace your current pcb with this. It will work on ps(1/2/3), pc, dc, etc. YOu just have to make/buy the rj45 cables to go with it. Or you can dual combo it with a brook ufb and be able to play on Next gen and legacy systems.

Neccros007

n00b
Pad hacks are fucking easy as long as you have average soldering skills, doesn't take much to make it work but it might if you want to share your mod work here. ;)

I am pretty good at licking the hot end of a soldering iron... I just need to figure out what matches what on the standard game pad to the "official" DC stick. That is what I am going to be re-creating with my Mad Catz TE stick. Does the DC fight stick map the stick to the analog or D-pad? etc.

Neccros007

n00b
finding a common ground pcb can be a pita. The madcatz Dc controller is hit or miss. THere are some that are common ground and there are some that are not, its 50/50. Wont know until you open it up.
Honestly i suggest using a multi console Cthulhu board.
https://paradisearcadeshop.com/fgc-console-joystick/1828-toodles-mc-cthulhu.html
You can just replace your current pcb with this. It will work on ps(1/2/3), pc, dc, etc. YOu just have to make/buy the rj45 cables to go with it. Or you can dual combo it with a brook ufb and be able to play on Next gen and legacy systems.

I tried finding DC cables for these boards and everyone is sold out... Haven't looked into making a cable. Need to find pin out info if I try...

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Do not use the official DC pads, they are trash for padhacking, believe they have lag on the triggers or something, i forget. If you deadset of padhacking the madcatz dc pad. If you lucky and you can find somebody that has the pcb to the agetec dreamcast stick you can hack that one, and very easily. Plus its a small pcb compared to the madcatz.

yeah, the stores are out of dc cables. Try to find somebody local, if not i can have my local friend that does my cables make one for you.

Neccros007

n00b
Do not use the official DC pads, they are trash for padhacking, believe they have lag on the triggers or something, i forget. If you deadset of padhacking the madcatz dc pad. If you lucky and you can find somebody that has the pcb to the agetec dreamcast stick you can hack that one, and very easily. Plus its a small pcb compared to the madcatz.

yeah, the stores are out of dc cables. Try to find somebody local, if not i can have my local friend that does my cables make one for you.

Do you know how the agetec stick is mapped? analog or d-pad?

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
i wanna say analog but im not positive, sure if you google it you can find out though.
One thing to keep in mind, which might not be that big of a deal for you, but you will have 2 cords coming out of your stick.
Once you find out about the pcb lmk if you need any help with anything else

Neccros007

n00b
i wanna say analog but im not positive, sure if you google it you can find out though.
One thing to keep in mind, which might not be that big of a deal for you, but you will have 2 cords coming out of your stick.
Once you find out about the pcb lmk if you need any help with anything else

the DC one and the stock USB? I was going to remove the stock PCB and stick it aside since I want to keep this stick as stock as possible...

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
oh, so your just going to have one pcb in there at a time?
only issue with that is the turbo panel. But i believe you can just unplug it from the pain pcb. you dont need home for the dc anyway

Neccros007

n00b
oh, so your just going to have one pcb in there at a time?
only issue with that is the turbo panel. But i believe you can just unplug it from the pain pcb. you dont need home for the dc anyway

Currently its a PS3 TE but since I have 2 other sticks already with Brook boards, I decided to dedicate this one to my Dreamcast. Was thinking about selling it since I didn't need 3 sticks but since Mad Catz went bye bye, I decided to keep it and keep it stock or reversible if modded.