Golden Axe PCB and Choplifter PCB questions

JohnnyFever

Mr. Big's Thug
Hello!

I have a couple of boards that I'm trying to get going in my blast city cab. It's the same cab where I run my mvs 1-slot. I have the right adapters. The Choplifter has a red light on the board, and this lights up so I'm assuming the board is getting power. I don't get a screen or sound though. The Golden Axe board gives me great sound, good controls, and accepts credits. The picture is very garbled though. Any thoughts? Could it be a voltage issue? This cab runs my Captain America board, RoboCop board, and other boards just fine. I'm pretty new at this, but I'm looking to get better.

Thanks for the help!

John

JohnnyFever

Mr. Big's Thug
I was told they work in other cabs before I purchased them. I do have another blast city that I run my dreamcast in, and neither of the boards run in that cab. I'm bummed.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I was told they work in other cabs before I purchased them. I do have another blast city that I run my dreamcast in, and neither of the boards run in that cab. I'm bummed.

Sounds like an issue with the boards then. There's nothing unique to a Jamma wired blast city vs other cabs, and it sounds like the common thread are the boards not working.

Where'd you get them from? Might be best to contact the seller to sort it out.

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
Sounds like an issue with the boards then. There's nothing unique to a Jamma wired blast city vs other cabs, and it sounds like the common thread are the boards not working.

Where'd you get them from? Might be best to contact the seller to sort it out.

Actually it's known that blast cities hate a lot of PCBS..mainly due to the power supply iirc, so I would test it in another non-blast city cabinet first.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Actually it's known that blast cities hate a lot of PCBS..mainly due to the power supply iirc, so I would test it in another non-blast city cabinet first.

Didn't know this. Related to voltages or?

JohnnyFever

Mr. Big's Thug
That's what I'm having a hard time understanding. How can that cab play at least five other boards but struggle with there two.

themisterfalcon

Buriki-One Fight Promoter
15 Year Member
Hey Johnny, I tried to PM you back but your box is full.

For starters - yes it sounds like it could be a voltage problem. I highly suggest you get a voltage board from JNX for a quick read out or learn the basics of a multimeter and test your cabinet under load. Older boards specifically can be super finicky if you are straying too far north or south of 5.0X.

Can you please post a video of Golden Axe running on YouTube or something similar so myself (and others) can see the problem? (email still isn't working on that one)

You're always welcome to send it back so I can test here. However, finding someone locally to rule out the cabinet is going to be more cost effective and lower risk. DM me back when you can.

No clue about Choplifter, sorry :/

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Hey Johnny, I tried to PM you back but your box is full.

For starters - yes it sounds like it could be a voltage problem. I highly suggest you get a voltage board from JNX for a quick read out or learn the basics of a multimeter and test your cabinet under load. Older boards specifically can be super finicky if you are straying too far north or south of 5.0X.

Can you please post a video of Golden Axe running on YouTube or something similar so myself (and others) can see the problem? (email still isn't working on that one)

You're always welcome to send it back so I can test here. However, finding someone locally to rule out the cabinet is going to be more cost effective and lower risk. DM me back when you can.

No clue about Choplifter, sorry :/

Good advice. A cheap multimeter will help a lot in this situation, check out amazon even.

The PCBs are from a reputable source, so worth looking into before sending back.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
That's what I'm having a hard time understanding. How can that cab play at least five other boards but struggle with there two.

None of my cabs play 100% of boards, or not without issue. I want to pasky had the same problem with Guardians on his blast. Of the 3 jamma cabs I have, certain boards have their quirks on each.

themisterfalcon

15 Year Member
None of my cabs play 100% of boards, or not without issue. I want to pasky had the same problem with Guardians on his blast. Of the 3 jamma cabs I have, certain boards have their quirks on each.

Yep that's why you need more than one cabinet! Get on it Johnny, lol.

JohnnyFever

Mr. Big's Thug
Hey fellas!

Thanks for all of the help. I'm going to score a multimeter, and I'll get that video posted. I'm excited to get these boards running.

I do have two cabs! The other cab is used as a dedicated Dreamcast machine. I guess I should say it's my SF machine....so good. The boards don't run on it, either. Ugggh.

John

themisterfalcon

15 Year Member
Golden Axe definitely looks like a monitor sync issue. Is your Blast auto or manual switching?

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
I had the same problem with an X-Men board...good sound, controls worked, but the screen rolled just like your golden axe board is...

The chip on the board that handled the sync went bad and needed to be changed...

JohnnyFever

Mr. Big's Thug
Thanks for the help, guys! Just tried a Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder board. It's working fine. I'm going to hold out for my JNX adapter and see what it tells me.

Thanks again!

John