Neo Geo X Gold System details and price announced!

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
16x9 is NOT forced via HDMI or composite. I have it connected to my TV and played for a while on it. No stretching. The only stretching seen would be from someone's TV set to do "fill my HD TV" mode.
Right, I see. Thanks for the info. Like others have said, I'll simply have to give it a go for myself and find out how my set handles the X via HDMI :)

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Can someone else try using the composite cable on a good TV and let me know what they think? It looks awful to me, but I want to make sure there isn't something wrong with my unit (yes, it's that bad.)

jago

I Wish I livedIn Belgium,
still nothing here for europe delivery. just "between christmas and new year"
holy s***!!

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
My LCD TV has 6 different screen automated size modes and ratios inc 4:3 but at the same time its also crap because when I use to play my MVS games on it, there use to always be lots of tiny white stripes over the shadows and anything black which was annoying and ended up getting a small old TV just to play the games so im guessing that I will get the same problem with this too.

I am glad there are lots of positive reviews and I just want this month to end so I can get my hands on mine

HitokiriRyu

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
I plugged it into my computer and it seems to have a 1 GB hard drive that is accessible through usb. It's also charging through the usb.

Last edited:

slerch666

updyke,
Can someone else try using the composite cable on a good TV and let me know what they think? It looks awful to me, but I want to make sure there isn't something wrong with my unit (yes, it's that bad.)

Can't say it looks good on the TVs I tried. I don't have what you would call a good CRT TV though. I can't use it on my HDTV as it has issues synching, but when it does sync, it doesn't look good, but that's how my TV handles content I think more than the Neo sucking hard.

Lee Gray

I asked for one when I was 12. My parents made no bones about it, they saw the price of the games and said no way kid! I got a guitar instead. A better gift in retrospect. Didn't get my first Neo until college in 1998.

When I got KOF96 I never had a credit card and was impatient to send of a cheque and wait so asked my mum if she could get the game for me and I pay her back, when I told her the price, she said your dad better not find out how much it is or he will go mad......looking back I can see how totally stupid it was the pay that much for a game.

BRANDI

Franco's Trainer
20 Year Member
Just received the package from Amazon US.. wow, that was fast :eek:

HitokiriRyu

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
There are none. It's completely empty. The device shows up as an Ingenic File-Stor Gadget USB Device. I was able to copy files over to the drive though.

can you post a screen shot with the contents of the harddrive , like the folders?

HitokiriRyu

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
I've looked up the company and they appear to design a lot of devices that run Linux, so my best guess is that this device also runs uses Linux.

c0dehunter

Tarma's Gun Polisher
GameStop.com orders: did you get yours?

I paid the most expensive type of shipping fee to get them today, and all I got was the extra controller and not the main system.

Lee Gray

Just received the package from Amazon US.. wow, that was fast :eek:
I almost went with them but was afraid customs would get it so it would be delayed plus custom fees too.

slerch666

updyke,
I've looked up the company and they appear to design a lot of devices that run Linux, so my best guess is that this device also runs uses Linux.

I recall reading elsewhere prior to release that this is a Linux based device, so that makes sense.

For shits and giggles, can you copy a ROM to it? ZIP and unzipped? Maybe put it in a folder with standard MAME ROM name?

Last edited:

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
I am going to try and figure out which file system they're using to see if I can extract any of the code.

i dont think its filesystem related - rather USB related. When you connect it via usb , the unit most likely had boot loader code that can run a small program to open up the mass storage space.

what we need is someone with a USB packet sniffer hardware to see whats being sent back and forth between the PC and system.

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
Got mine via mail from Gamestop yesterday. Gold LE System and extra stick. Everything was pristine.

THE PICTURE SUCKS ON TV.

I have it plugged via A/V into an LG 1080 LCD. It looks horrid. I haven't tried HDMI yet due to all the other negative comments, but I'll try it soon.

As for the handheld, it's amazing. Very nice. Very lush. Plays fantastic and looks beautiful on the screen.

This thing just looks rancid on my TV though.

***EDIT****

I just tried HDMI. It's MUCH better. Still not as good as my real AES though.

I'm happy with my X.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm glad it's not just me, I was worried that my unit might be defective.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Got mine via mail from Gamestop yesterday. Gold LE System and extra stick. Everything was pristine.

THE PICTURE SUCKS ON TV.

I have it plugged via A/V into an LG 1080 LCD. It looks horrid. I haven't tried HDMI yet due to all the other negative comments, but I'll try it soon.

As for the handheld, it's amazing. Very nice. Very lush. Plays fantastic and looks beautiful on the screen.

This thing just looks rancid on my TV though.

So, it sounds like for people really only interested in this for the handheld perspective should wait till its offered separately without the base and stick.

That's a damn shame though.

While I have no intention of buying one of these and I have talked shit about it, it's sad that the video output quality is so poor.

I guess it was an afterthought.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
So, it sounds like for people really only interested in this for the handheld perspective should wait till its offered separately without the base and stick.

That's a damn shame though.

While I have no intention of buying one of these and I have talked shit about it, it's sad that the video output quality is so poor.

I guess it was an afterthought.

right - we were all worried about the emulation and kind assumed that, oh with HDMI everything should looks great - but that isnt the issue at all.

its a shame, everything else about the system is very good

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Just look at it this way, they really are faithfully recreating the Neo home experience, complete with shitty composite video!

red shoe paul

Stakes Winner
15 Year Member
aesmvs.jpg

Don't worry, I introduced them.