Neotris, a new puzzle game for the Neo·Geo!

defalt

Cheng's Errand Boy
Well ,we already have BANG BEAD,FLIP SHOT, WINDJAMMERS and NEO PONG.
BB

Oh crap there's really a Neo Pong. Well... Neo... Neo what? I'm stuck! Help me!

Neo......... i'll just hack Windjammers and sell the dog game as a new one. Neo Dog!!

About the (c), that might be a big problem. I hope they won't sue for 100 copies... I'll tell the Dev.

vandalpir8

New Challenger
10 Year Member
Any details on the game modes? I find myself playing VS survival and sprint the most when I play Tetris, and I can play that for far too long.

defalt

Cheng's Errand Boy
From what I seen at the RGC, there are:
1 player: as you'd expect
2 player: competitive
4 player: more casual play, like with friends (only downside is that i need friends to play this mode)

I think the 4 player mode works with 3 players.

You've also got autolock and manual lock, it is for when you hard drop pieces. Auto lock: can't move them after you drop. Manual lock: can move them. (after you put the joystick up to drop the piece, you need to press down to lock it)

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
1 player: as you'd expect

I'd expect a tate enabled 1-player mode with colorful high resolution animations in the background, showing an erection of the Cathedral of the Intercession of the Most Holy Theotokos on the Moat and a brief Gillian Seed cameo, super-deformed, running past it from time to time. Or one where Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov rises from his Mausoleum to eat a Quarter Pounder and dance Hopak to Kalinka each time after clearing four lines with a straight tetromino.

defalt

Cheng's Errand Boy
I'd expect a tate enabled 1-player mode with colorful high resolution animations in the background, showing an erection of the Cathedral of the Intercession of the Most Holy Theotokos on the Moat and a brief Gillian Seed cameo, super-deformed, running past it from time to time. Or one where Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov rises from his Mausoleum to eat a Quarter Pounder and dance Hopak to Kalinka each time after clearing four lines with a straight tetromino.

great, i want this now.

Missile

Another Striker
I'd buy this if it turns out to be good. I do think it looks a bit basic and garish for a Neo Geo game. I know it's Tetris but still...

Please make a multi-player bomberman clone using the four player adapter!

Missile

Another Striker
Back in the days, Andro Dunos was considered an offense to Neo Geo standards. Now most of us only laugh about those past opinions and enjoy that gem, not to mention that a game like that, made by an indie team now, would sell immediately. Apparently, the lowest Neo Geo standards are nowadays beyond reach...

I think because people know they can always sell it for double in a year's time if they don't like it. That's the justification I use every time I buy a homebrew game but so far I have never sold a game - unless I replaced it with AES version. It's nice to have the option to sell for a profit if I don't like a game though.

Last edited:

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Please make a multi-player bomberman clone using the four player adapter!

From the looks of it the multi tap is only an input splitter. Tetris is simple enough to only use a few inputs. At the very least I would say...
Left
Right
A
Start

At most maybe
Left
Right
Down
A
Start
Select

Looks like they are gonna use the unused B,C,D, and Up inputs to remap them to player 3 & 4 controls. Plus side is that most people can just make their own.

As far as Bomberman goes. If I recall isn't there code in the game to support 4 player? Obviously there is no supporting hardware. So maybe a hack with the same remap route would work? Maybe just at least 3 player support given the limited input options?

fucked_king

New Challenger
Btw the tetromino shapes are copyrighted

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=19533219

This is reason enough why they should come up with an original game not port someone else's IP. Imagine if the carts go into production then they get a C&D, it will all be for nothing.

If they made their own puzzle game with 4P compatibility that would be much more interesting than yet another Tetris port.

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
I'm afraid the actual mindset of some NeoGeo collectors is: "oh, crap, another game I'm not really interested in, but that will probably skyrocket in value (due to rarity) and that will make my somewhat-complete collection feel incomplete. Not pointing my finger at anyone in this forum, just my two cents... homebrew projects have this side effect (sometimes I feel the same stupid desire to buy "just because it may become rare").

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Better put some of that money aside to pay to for the lawyer.

Missile

Another Striker
From the looks of it the multi tap is only an input splitter. Tetris is simple enough to only use a few inputs. At the very least I would say...
Left
Right
A
Start

At most maybe
Left
Right
Down
A
Start
Select

Looks like they are gonna use the unused B,C,D, and Up inputs to remap them to player 3 & 4 controls. Plus side is that most people can just make their own.

As far as Bomberman goes. If I recall isn't there code in the game to support 4 player? Obviously there is no supporting hardware. So maybe a hack with the same remap route would work? Maybe just at least 3 player support given the limited input options?

Shame because the Neo Geo could do with a 4 player adaptor so that people make future games to support it. I would consider making more friends.

Also a steering wheel to make a game like Outrun possible would be a great addition.

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
I really like the soundtrack in the 2p video. But yeah.. 350 euros is quite a spicy meatball

LonelyWarbler

Crazed MVS Addict
With so many ways to play Tetris and it's variants it seems mad to expect people to line up to pay 350EUR. I'm not sure I would even feel right paying for a rom since it's basically a fangame.

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
I always love that it's not only 350 Euro for a Tetris clone, no it's 350 plus shipping.... as if they couldn't eat the 20 euro with that price point.. *meh*