Naomi Power Supply Question

TSXGuy

New Challenger
So rather than try and bump my old thread, I thought I would start a new one since I think Lemony and Mad are spot on that I need more power to my Naomi MB. Just to refresh, here is my setup:

Naomi 1 MB
Capcom I/O
CF Reader
Sega Blast City

So currently, I am getting the following games to work with no ERROR 21:

Virtua Tennis 2
Ken, Fist of North Star
Dolphin Blue
Rumble Fish 2
Metal Slug 6

Now, all of these are Atomiswave except for one obviously. They all work perfectly but games like Gigawing, etc. do not work. So, I took some pictures of my power supply. My friend who I got it from says he used it with his Naomi with no issues. However, I don't see how he could since it only has 3 pin plugs instead of one 3 and one 4 pin plug for the Naomi. There is an extra plug in the pictures so maybe that goes in the last spot on the 4 pin port? Highly unlikely but I figured I would ask. I could also use the power from the JAMMA loom going into the Capcom I/O to use the 4 pin cable directly from the Capcom I/O to the 4 pin port on the Naomi.

Anyway, let me know what you think and pictures attached.

http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/Dog789/library/

Last edited:

TSXGuy

New Challenger
Hmmm, that's a good question. I had an engineer friend flash the bios to the latest which I think is 4.012? I also now it's 512MB but just not sure what type of bios though. Anyway to check in the settings?

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
There are no 3 or 4 pin power connectors anywhere on the mobo other than a 5v output connector. The two power inputs, as I mentioned in the other thread, are 8 pin and 6 pin.

Also, run a DIMM test and RAM test just to be sure.

Last edited:

TSXGuy

New Challenger
OK ran a DIMM test and RAM test, see below:

http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/Dog789/library/

OK, I'm really sorry for the idiocy, obviously the Naomi ports are 6 pin and 8 pin. The power supply my friend lent me that he "claims" powered his Naomi MB doesn't make any sense because both connectors are 9 pin. So, if that will not work, I'll ask on the boards for a Sun power supply that will work with my Naomi board.

Thanks Mad, I am learning this stuff fairly quickly. Any other ideas other than ordering a new power supply?

Before I get too far along, a game like GigaWing should work on CF correct? As long as the bin isn't corrupt?

madman

If the PSU you have only has 9 pin connectors there's no way it would've worked with the NAOMI. I don't know how you even hooked it up to yours if that's the case.

TSXGuy

New Challenger
If the PSU you have only has 9 pin connectors there's no way it would've worked with the NAOMI. I don't know how you even hooked it up to yours if that's the case.

Thanks. A person on the local boards lent it to me and said it worked with his Naomi, I don't possibly see how. I'm going to put an ad up for a Sun PSU. Thanks for the help

madman

Expect to pay in the 80-100 range. Might want to post here, they come up for sale pretty regularly and some members may have extras.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
You need a PSU? I can hook you up. I have a spare Dreamcast PSU that I can let go of. Shoot me a PM :)

TSXGuy

New Challenger
So I got a Dreamcast Power supply from Lemony and used an old PS3 cable because it did not come with a cable. Hopefully that is OK. So I hooked up everything and now the games that went ERROR21 are now just going to a black screen or are doing an endless loop between GD ROM loading and Memory check. I really want to get to the bottom of this so I figured I would add to the existing thread. I've been reading probably 1-2 hours a day on this and can't figure out what the issue is. For everyone's knowledge, here are the games that work and boot up fine:

Metal Slug 6
Kokuto No Ken (Fist of North Star)
Rumble Fish 2
Dolphin Blue
Virtua Tennis 2

I should tell you guys that I bought all of this stuff from a guy in Orlando and he was less than honest. When I bought the DIMM it was in pretty rough shape and the media piece was messed up. My friend took pieces from another DIMM and we made it work. Do you think I have a defective DIMM? I know it's flashed to 4.02 and it has 512MB. Then I got the compact flash card reader which looks to be in pretty good shape along with the SCSI. Then for the Naomi Board, I'm 99% sure that isn't the issue because I got it from my friend and it was working well for him or at least I think so. Definitely not ruling that out as the issue. Finally, I got the Capcom I/O locally and it seems to work fine. I do not use the power cable so I'm not sure if I should be using it? I don't think I would use it because I'm obviously now using the Dreamcast PSU that Lemony sent me.

Can you guys please give your advice on where to start? I'm pretty sure it can't be all bad bins that I'm using because I think other members have used these bins and are the typical sites that everyone is using. I'm just stumped but am willing to try anything out.

Thanks.

madman

I've never heard of using a Dreamcast power supply on a NAOMI. Maybe LV can fill us in on exactly what's going on with it in terms of output.

TSXGuy

New Challenger
Thanks Mad. In the meantime, I'm going to try this setup out on my new Super Gun. It probably won't help but I'm going to use the other Capcom I/O and try to start narrowing down the problem. I'll definitely make sure that the compact flash card I use is formatted well and that I get a good read. Supposedly, people have gotten Giga Wing to work so I'm going to try that. I'll post back later and will keep an eye out for Lemony's response.

TSXGuy

New Challenger
Loading ROMS via Compact Flash.

Just tried Giga Wing and it didn't work. However, this is the first time I've seen ERROR 21 using the new Power Supply but it's still ERROR 21. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I have to start replacing things one by one because I know people have gotten these ROMS to work.

Last edited:

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Try loading the roms via net boot.

Use an Win-XP computer, the roms on the French site, and the python scrip.

You'll need 2x RJ-45 ethernet cables and a DHCP Router for this.

Don't forget to change the jumpers on your net-dimm to Net-boot.

If you have a pic chip in your net-dimm board, you can remove it, as the python scrip bypasses it.

Loading ROMS via Compact Flash.

Just tried Giga Wing and it didn't work. However, this is the first time I've seen ERROR 21 using the new Power Supply but it's still ERROR 21. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I have to start replacing things one by one because I know people have gotten these ROMS to work.

TSXGuy

New Challenger
Thanks this looks similar to the XBox days and FTPing games. However, I don't have an XP computer in the house. Also, I'm very familiar with Python but am not sure where to get the Python script. I'll try Googling it. Also, I am getting my NetDIMM board soon so I'm just trying to visualize how I go from the computer to the NetDIMM. I'm assuming I'm no longer using compact flash correct? Also, since the NetDIMM I'm getting does have the PIC chip, I don't need to unsolder that to get it out correct? I'm just not very good at soldering.

Thanks again. I understand everything you are saying, there is just a little bit of confusion surrounding what the setup looks like.

madman

PIC chip is socketed. NetDIMM uses a network cable as tyranix mentioned.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
Thanks this looks similar to the XBox days and FTPing games. However, I don't have an XP computer in the house. Also, I'm very familiar with Python but am not sure where to get the Python script. I'll try Googling it. Also, I am getting my NetDIMM board soon so I'm just trying to visualize how I go from the computer to the NetDIMM. I'm assuming I'm no longer using compact flash correct? Also, since the NetDIMM I'm getting does have the PIC chip, I don't need to unsolder that to get it out correct? I'm just not very good at soldering.

Thanks again. I understand everything you are saying, there is just a little bit of confusion surrounding what the setup looks like.

I'm assuming this is the python script in reference. You don't need to solder anything, just need a zeroed/null PIC. The chip is on a socket so you shouldn't have to do any soldering. The idea behind the setup is you take a computer, plug it into the router, take another cable from the router to the Naomi, No CF involved.

Also a bit of first hand experience, I never managed to get the Atomiswave conversions to boot on my Naomi setup. I never did figure out a reason why. Didn't care enough at the time to find out. The only setup difference I could note between those who could get them to boot and my own setup was I used a Capcom I/O and others were using a Sega I/O. I'll be interested to see if we can manage to figure yours out, might get me motivated to fix mine at that rate...

TSXGuy

New Challenger
Ah gotcha. So I can just remove the PIC chip then? So the NetDIMM network cable goes into the router and the other RJ45 goes into the XP computer correct? If so, now I just need to find an XP computer and figure out the Python script which I still cannot locate.

Thanks.

I'm assuming this is the python script in reference. You don't need to solder anything, just need a zeroed/null PIC. The chip is on a socket so you shouldn't have to do any soldering. The idea behind the setup is you take a computer, plug it into the router, take another cable from the router to the Naomi, No CF involved.

Also a bit of first hand experience, I never managed to get the Atomiswave conversions to boot on my Naomi setup. I never did figure out a reason why. Didn't care enough at the time to find out. The only setup difference I could note between those who could get them to boot and my own setup was I used a Capcom I/O and others were using a Sega I/O. I'll be interested to see if we can manage to figure yours out, might get me motivated to fix mine at that rate...

You beat me to the punch Spark, lol. Anyway, I have nearly 100% luck with the Atomiswave games and I've only been able to get one Naomi game working. I am running the Capcom I/O and never even tried the Sega I/O board I have because I could not get my CPS2 harness to work with it so games would have only been 3 buttons.

Last edited:

sparksterz

Camel Slug
You do need a PIC chip it just has to be nulled aka not tied to a specific game. If you've been able to boot from CF I believe that required a null chip anyway so you might be good as is, but someone who's booted a CF naomi feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
You should use a null pic for CF booting. Some netboot pics reportedly work, but there is a specific line of code in the PIC source that specifies an answer as to GDROM (CF) or netboot. I've burned them a couple ways with good success.

For netbooting technically you can get by without a PIC but it's a pain, as you have to leave the script running to fool the NAOMI into thinking the gateway is still there. With a proper netboot pic you can shut down the PC or whatever you used to send the game to the DIMM, and the game will still run in a solid/stable state.

Last edited:

TSXGuy

New Challenger
Yea plus, the Naomi isn't going to hold games if either the DIMM or NetDIMM doesn't have a batter correct? Or if they do it will be for like 10 minutes or so in cache. Also, with the NetBoot I'm assuming I would need to keep a computer next to my cabinet if I don't go the Raspeberry Pi route? I'm getting the NetDIMM sometime soon, doesn't look like today though based on the tracking. Does someone have some pics on how the dip switches should be set on the NetDIMM if you are using compact flash?

Thanks for the help from everyone. As soon as my NetDIMM arrives I'll start testing with your suggestions.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Yea plus, the Naomi isn't going to hold games if either the DIMM or NetDIMM doesn't have a batter correct? Or if they do it will be for like 10 minutes or so in cache. Also, with the NetBoot I'm assuming I would need to keep a computer next to my cabinet if I don't go the Raspeberry Pi route? I'm getting the NetDIMM sometime soon, doesn't look like today though based on the tracking. Does someone have some pics on how the dip switches should be set on the NetDIMM if you are using compact flash?

Thanks for the help from everyone. As soon as my NetDIMM arrives I'll start testing with your suggestions.

The 3 jumpers you have to set for netboot are just reversed for GDROM mode. There are pictures here http://8bitplus.co.uk/projects/netboot-sega-naomi-netdimm/

Assuming your netdimm battery is missing or dead (most are) it just won't hold the game after it is powered off. I just keep a laptop by my NAOMI cabs or you could go the raspberry pi route.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
You can try Win-7 or better if you like.

I've had some success with it, but others have not.

---

If you have a pic chip for the rom, or a null key, you can use Transfergame to load the rom instead of python.

But python is better for testing 'cause it's one less part (the key) in the system.

---

Some netbot setup info: http://8bitplus.co.uk/projects/netboot-sega-naomi-netdimm/

And, iirc, a net-dimm board can net-boot with firmware 3.01 and naomi 1 ver. E bios or better.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?246150-Atomiswave-to-Naomi

Last edited: