Universe Bios 4.0 MVS/AES released!

phoenixdownita

Cheng's Errand Boy
Finally got to see the "winners yadayadayada drugs" on the AES via Uni4 + NeoSD 1.06 ... this has got to be a feature you guys planned together a little time back, there was never reported to have to save the sfix.sfix into the root of the SD .... any other surprise we should know about?
[NOTE: need to reflash the game to see the "winners blahblahblah drugs" with the sfix.sfix in the root obviously to get to see it at work]

EDIT: being capable of instantaneously change the games on the 161-n-1 is ... is ..... something else, really ..... something else, I am so so glad/happy/thankful Raz decided to give it a shot on AES, no matter how gimped Raz thinks it may be wrt the MVS version of the same feature it really makes the 161-n-1 shine on an AES [I personally never managed to get the 1UP start code to work with my 161-n-1 to get back to the abomenu [not a typo] to save back the game level setting, now it just works], I was almost crying, when I had to "go back" to try the "winners obladioblada drugs" on NeoSD as mentioned above the flash time was almost agony, nothing bad with the NeoSD, it works as it always has but you can't compete with "instantaneous" .... not sure if converters are still lame-crazy expensive (I have a MagicKey) but if you already have one get the "banana" cart and Uni4.
Speechless.

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Finally got to see the "winners yadayadayada drugs" on the AES via Uni4 + NeoSD 1.06 ... this has got to be a feature you guys planned together a little time back, there was never reported to have to save the sfix.sfix into the root of the SD .... any other surprise we should know about?
Why would it have been "reported" before it did anything prior to the 4.0 release?

phoenixdownita

Cheng's Errand Boy
Why would it have been "reported" before it did anything prior to the 4.0 release?
Flashing the sfix.sfix is a feature of the NeoSD, enabling it so it works on AES properly is a feature of Unibios (maybe just mapping in the right chunk of memory).
I cannot see a usage for the NeoSD sfix.sfix flash feature of NeoSD unless Unibios 4 was coming out and taking advantage of it.

I didn't see an announcement of a combined feature for AES users between the 2 products, and it is a nice surprise indeed. Somehow I guess I was expecting some hint that a combined thing was coming.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member

I get on well with both Alex and neodev. I suggested if they could add this feature long long ago and they kindly added it into the firmware v1.06. Of course there was no point in them mentioning it because it is dependant on the unibios to work.

I have talked with them on different ideas and luckly one suggestion they got excited about and it was not to late for them to work it into the pro version (not related to the USB port). You will just have to wait for them to give out more info on that however (when they see fit).

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
After all these years I’ve still never tried a Universe BIOS.

Maybe now’s a good time to take the plunge.

I'm in the same boat, always thought of getting one but never got around to it. I think you might be right.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I remember Raz saying that the attract sound not playing on AES is due to a lack of backup ram.
Correct. I was just wondering if the ram dependence could be hacked out on a per-game basis. Maybe Raz already mentioned it isn't possible.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Correct. I was just wondering if the ram dependence could be hacked out on a per-game basis. Maybe Raz already mentioned it isn't possible.

It defo can be hacked out but would require reprogramming the carts P ROMs

segasonicfan

Camel Slug
we-are-not-worthy.jpg

Damulta

Armored Scrum Object
So my 161 AES cart(from japangameonline.com) works for PicknMix absolutely love this feature. I love being able to flip through games on the fly. During a game you want to switch just soft reboot, and then just make a new selection. Turns this cart into a much better cart that's forsure! Just can't seem to change soft dips while in the mode.

Coming from the debug bios having cheats is also a very nice feature. Which people that have been with the unibios already know about. I've used it in Mame, but not on my aes.

Thanks Raz

Last edited:

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I have talked with them on different ideas and luckly one suggestion they got excited about and it was not to late for them to work it into the pro version (not related to the USB port). You will just have to wait for them to give out more info on that however (when they see fit).

Oh you tease!

Looking forward to it.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I'm in the same boat, always thought of getting one but never got around to it. I think you might be right.

I've pulled the trigger. Looking forward to to some pausing, cheating and crc'ing.

Jontox

Quiz Detective
I've updated to Unibios 4.0
That is really great and the new interface colors is a must.

Thanks Raz

Marmotta

n00b
As I have a programmer and a few empty EPROMs, I was wondering if it would be at all possible to maybe save a little bit of time and money and have the binaries sent? I appreciate not wanting to do so from a piracy prevention perspective, but thought I may as well ask.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Please drop me an email.

Raz

DuffCon

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Just posting up to recommend the new Unibios.

I'm really enjoying the new pick n' mix feature as I am kind of new to the Neo library. I enjoy letting the attract modes cycle when i'm working in the garage and discovering new games!

Many thanks to Raz for his amazing talent!

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I ran a CRC today and some of the ROM checks come back as "custom". I'm assuming this is normal, but for someone who isn't Neo hardware savvy, what does it mean?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
It means the banks are custom (not the normal cart spec) so the CRC32 is not retrieved.

Raz

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
It means the banks are custom (not the normal cart spec) so the CRC32 is not retrieved.

Raz

Thanks Raz, I finally got around to installing the chip today, so I’m slowly messing around with it. Will likely have some more questions.

Great effort and thanks again.

superfry63

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I'm late to the party (as always) so my first unibios is a 4.0 - love it. just put it in a MVS1FS. (Bios is already socketed so easy install)

If you are on the fence just do it.

David4713

n00b
I have an omega neo geo mvs. I just upgraded the bios to 4.0. Im having an issue with the picknmix feature. when i boot up and set the region to US and arcade, the picknmix only allows me to change games but wont allow me to pick them and play. i am using the 161-1 cart. If i switch the mode to console, the picknmiks works but i cant add more continues. I would like to play the games in arcade mode using picknmix . Is there something im missing?

David4713

n00b
does the picknmix feature work when your in arcade mode? mine only works properly if im in console mode

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Yes it works in arcade mode but picknmix does not work correctly with the AES version of the 161in1 cart. You need to use the MVS version and a converter.

Neogeoman106st

Crossed Swords Squire
Just finally Purchased the Unibio's.i have been meaning to for a while now. so i am very happy to support you Razoola and your work. Can't wait to try out the picknmix feature with my 161-1