SNK’s Yasuyuki Oda Asks if Fans Would Like a Metal Slug Reboot

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Lol. You're right. Still, what's the ratio between platformers to fighters? Or shmups?

SNK is first and foremost a company that made its mark in the fighting game genre, same as Capcom. They are supposed connoseurs in this field.
Metal Slug is something of an anomaly. But it's time has passed a long time ago, it was born of brilliance and died when the talent receded.
I'd play another Slug for sure but wouldn't expect much more than what we have gotten the past 15 or so years. Very little

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Id like to see something like Dolphine Blue where it has the Metal Slug elements but feels like its own thing.

Kraut Buster doesnt count

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
I would take a new slug if they do it without overloading with strange and bizarre weapons.

I always point to Sonic Mania as the perfect example of how a sequel should be made. The game is pristine, flawless and hits all the spots right.

They could take everything that was in Metal Slug 2 (minus the extreme slowdown, but I'd still like some in certain situations), add new stages and they would have a great sequel.

Or they could make a "time travel" episode, where the player has to follow Morden through some of the classic stages, each with a small new twist here and there and make a completely new final mission.

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
I would take a new slug if they do it without overloading with strange and bizarre weapons.

I always point to Sonic Mania as the perfect example of how a sequel should be made. The game is pristine, flawless and hits all the spots right.

They could take everything that was in Metal Slug 2 (minus the extreme slowdown, but I'd still like some in certain situations), add new stages and they would have a great sequel.

Or they could make a "time travel" episode, where the player has to follow Morden through some of the classic stages, each with a small new twist here and there and make a completely new final mission.

The time travel concept is a great idea.. or maybe have the 'slug soldiers end up fighting a few old school SNK bosses from Cyber-Lip, 'Nam 1975, or that weird crab-thing from Victory Road, etc.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
SNK is first and foremost a company that made its mark in the fighting game genre, same as Capcom.

SNK had success long before fighting games were a thing, and before the Neo even existed. Ikari Warriors was huge. It got ported to every console and computer I can think of. Baseball Stars was a massively successful NES game. P.O.W. Was in just about every arcade, and personally, I adore Iron Tank and Psycho Soldier [emoji38]

With regards to Metal Slug...I’d love to see something out of SNK that ISN’T a fighting game, because I’ve always appreciated their titles from other genres. The caveat being that I’d like it to be good. But I’d be intrigued to see what they come up with. Just please don’t make it an FPS.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
They should totally make another one and put it on AES with minty labels.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
They wouldn't even need to put a game PCB in there, nobody would notice.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
SNK had success long before fighting games were a thing, and before the Neo even existed. Ikari Warriors was huge. It got ported to every console and computer I can think of. Baseball Stars was a massively successful NES game. P.O.W. Was in just about every arcade, and personally, I adore Iron Tank and Psycho Soldier [emoji38]

With regards to Metal Slug...I’d love to see something out of SNK that ISN’T a fighting game, because I’ve always appreciated their titles from other genres. The caveat being that I’d like it to be good. But I’d be intrigued to see what they come up with. Just please don’t make it an FPS.

Erm... I never said anything to contradict what you claim. They hit the big times producing greatly popular and acclaimed fighting games. That is mostly what their meat and potatoes consists of. It's what pays the bills.

I'm a bit afraid that if they'd do this, they'd make a 2.5d game. I have yet to see 2.5d games that can actually match what you can do if you just keep things 2d. They should adapt the style we're using for Ori and just make it grittier and use 3d and physics to really make the game feel as bombastic as the first 3 NeoGeo originals. I have a pretty good idea of what I could make a new Metal Slug look and feel like if I'd direct it :)

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
To be pedantic I'd say you probably mean 'techniques' rather than direct 'style'...

...but yep ... I've little faith they'd accurately translate the character and charm of metal slug into whatever re-boot they're maybe thinking about.

TBH though reckon this is just some producer type spouting off something that's come up in meetings (meetings that were probably about why a certain version in the past didn't sell well, than why they should or should not make a reboot): if anything it's more of a passive aggressive dig at the wider general game audience/market...

I'm pretty sure it's the editor that even re-directs this at 'fans'. Let's face it: Fans would like better ports/collections of the existing games first. And would be happy if you made any metal slug (whatever number or suffix) that was actually as good/better than the original, even if the controls+mechanics were identical, as long as the content was fun... but I'm not sure they want to do that, even if they are able to...

Yoshi

20 Year Member
SNK is first and foremost a company that made its mark in the fighting game genre
This rubs me the same way that saying that Nintendo popularized video games does, and the best way I can describe it is youthful ignorance.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
This rubs me the same way that saying that Nintendo popularized video games does, and the best way I can describe it is youthful ignorance.

Nintendo didn't popularize them, they just perfected them.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I like Metal Slug 7 and XX just fine. Just do Metal Slug 8 but with fancy pants graphics.

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
If a reboot means more Trevor and Nadia and no Ikari Warriors, sign me up.

Otherwise, I could care less.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
True, it's almost fascinating how much graphic design can affect the enjoyment of a game. It reverses the saying, that you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover.

DracoBlade

Cham Cham's Banana
I would be stoked! If not, maybe a partnership with DotEmu or another company? Ultimately would prefer 2d all day if it requires outsourcing.