RIP Saturn Gamer.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Damn

My condolences for his family.

That is indeed a terrible news to hear.
My day was being so much fun and afterall, even if I never had any kind of activity with him it's always shocking to come by and read this.

I feel sorry for all who knew him too.

May his sould rest in peace.

-Atro

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
I don't post much on here anymore but I wanted to add my story as well.

When I joined the forums back in 2002 Toby was the first person I went to a Neo gathering for. He had a nice setup even back then: some TVs upstairs for a bunch of games and then his real TV setup downstairs.

Toby was the only one I knew there, and if I remember most of the gaming then was MvC2, which I was never a fan of. So he and I ended up downstairs by ourselves for a bit playing Neo since he was really happy he had another friend who actually wanted to play SNK stuff. That was the first time I played any of the Samurai Spirits games, and the first time I played a match against Cham Cham (his favorite character). Definitely one of the best memories in my gaming life.

I used to joke with him about how much more experienced I was at gaming than him since I was a whole 5 days older than him. ;)

I also want to echo the sentiment that he absolutely LOVED his kids and would do anything for them.

The only time I really got to see him was when we would do Neo get-togethers, but I knew he was a good man. In retrospect I wish we could have hung out more.

Anyway, I just wanted to say something. I tried to write this a few times and never could find the words. It's been a week since I found out and I'm still upset about it.

kaos

I'm a stealthy Ghost-like pimp daddy bitch, yo!
just noticed this thread....and I can't believe what I've been reading

I'm shocked, really

unlike Jigen, SNK4ever and Sifl (R.I.P.) whom I don't think I've ever even quoted a post of, Saturn Gamer was really the first member I talked to when I first registered here, we always been cool with each other and shared an insane amount of love for the Saturn system

damn, I don't know what to say.
My condolences to his family. They must be devastated. As KA already pointed out, if any donation set up, count me in for a contribution

PS
slerch:
I understand you want to share the facts only with people that knew him personally and absolutely respect that, but any little bit of info you could pass to me via a pm would be very much appreciated. It's up to you. Thanks

Marek

Banned
kaos said:
PS
slerch:
I understand you want to share the facts only with people that knew him personally and absolutely respect that, but any little bit of info you could pass to me via a pm would be very much appreciated. It's up to you. Thanks

His full name was posted in another thread here in unrelated. A google search will turn up a few news stories about it. It was an utter tragedy.

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
I didn't see this until now. Man, my condolences to his
family. He was a nice guy, he used to pm me a lot whe he
registered. :(

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
This is horrible news. My heart goes out to the family. :( :oh_no:

GAMEFAN

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
whats his real name so I can google it even though really a bit of info would have been nice instead of clouded in secrecy
saying that though it is a shock as i use to like him and only posted in this thread now as before i thought it was a topic about the sega saturn

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Lee Gray said:
whats his real name so I can google it even though really a bit of info would have been nice instead of clouded in secrecy
saying that though it is a shock as i use to like him and only posted in this thread now as before i thought it was a topic about the sega saturn

I'm not sure I agree with the "secret" either, but if it is what his family/friends want, then I think we should respect it. Google Toby Maccombie, it will give you the jist of what happened.

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
nruva said:
I'm not sure I agree with the "secret" either, but if it is what his family/friends want, then I think we should respect it. Google Toby Maccombie, it will give you the jist of what happened.
Thanks, just read the info, It is a real shame and my deepest regrets to his family

slerch666

updyke,
nruva said:
It's OK, plenty of people don't agree with the "secrecy."

I think most just want Toby remembered for who he was and not what happened to him. We don't want the board to cry out for the crime, we went them to cry out for the man. Too many times here people have an extreme thirst for the drama; please don't turn Toby into just more drama.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Sincere condolences to all who knew him, especially to his family.
I didnt know him personally, but he came over as a fine member of the community.
Tragic loss of another young life. The kids are probably still wondering what happened, where is daddy - brings a tear to the eye :crying:
And for it to happen on Christmas eve seems to make it all the more tragic.

I did not gather the thread earlier, thought it was to do with the consol not the man. Sorry

Last edited:

Moose

Moose,
20 Year Member
RIP my friend. I never knew you Toby, but if you love the Neo, and love children, you are a good, true man in my book. May your family stay strong and live long, and somehow, someway, fight through this tradgedy to find happiness in life. God bless.

Technos

Formerly known as #28
20 Year Member
:blow_top: :blow_top: :blow_top: :blow_top: :blow_top:

I'll keep my mouth shut here about what happened to Saturn Gamer, and what did it to him, because this should just stay a somber, respectful thread.

I didn't know the guy, here or in real life. But he was "one of us".

To his family and friends: I am very sorry for your loss...

:crying:

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
A father of three kids leaving this world so young is a terrible, terrible news. :(

My deepest condolences to his family, and may he rest in peace wherever he's now.
He'll be surely missed badly. :crying:

May his spirit live along within his kids, and may their young life bring much much love and happiness to his wife.

Again, I wish his family all the best.

leepantalone

Pm'ing Rot. Always a Risk.,
Toby was a genuine nice guy. A guy that overcame quite a bit to be where he was in life.

He and his Son visited me a few times to play games, and I attended one of his gatherings, as he did the gathering I hosted at my house. Again, he was outgoing and initiated the friendship. Once he found out I lived near Baltimore, he suggested setting up a gaming meet with a few folks.

I used to stop by the store he worked at probably once a month, before I moved to PA, and we would catch up about things.

I cant believe I didnt find out sooner than last night.....

The last time we spoke, was late December, and I was trying to recruit him to my employer, but he flatly refused, given his pending promotion at the time. We discussed a few things, and that was it.

I moved to PA in November, so I didnt make it down to his store much after that, and I havent visited these boards much in the last few months, so I didnt know.... until last night.... I cant express my shock.

I know he is at peace now, but I cant help think of his children and their future. I know they have their Mother, and I think the support of her Family, but we should put together something for a college fund or something. Has anyone set anything up? Toby's family needs to know that he meant a great deal to a number of people here, and that meaning needs a physical manifestation.

Hippee

Sgt. Pistachio,
I just found this thread.

Terrible news - I don't remember reading any of his posts - but it's always tragic when someone passes away - especially a person who loved life and loved others as much as everyone says he did.

My prayers go out to his family.

Franco Bash

Geese's Thug
My condolences to his family. Seemed like a very nice guy from my dealings with him. R.I.P.

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
I can't believe I only just noticed this thread. Shows how much attention I pay to things round here.

Thought I'd not seen the dude around for a while, sucks to find out why. He always seemed like a decent guy and it's a shame to lose him, especially considering the circumstances.

RIP dude.

MeTaLCzAr

Belnar Institute Student
I just stumbled upon this, and have to say.. WTF! For nothing? A life lost? Hate crime? I swear to fucking christ, give me zeus's long arm for one day... I regret alot right now, SG.. I'm sorry man, for you and your family.

random.. so damn random.

Decepticon

Mizuki's Demon
I haven't been here in ages but I remember SG and always thought highly of him...just wow. I hope justice is served.

Cernex

Fio's Quartermaster
Oh my god... this is sad indeed. I didn't knew him, but loosing a member is always sad...

And with a family... can't belive it...

R.I.P, dude. I'll take a shot of vodka in your name.

El Cernex

Formation Z

Amusaka's Lacky
I haven't posted here in god knows how long, but this is a shock.

I met him once at Otakon 2003 game room and I remember we were talking about Sega Master System and how great our collections were

bulletnyourass

noble trader
I had always wondered if they ever caught the people responsible. Unfortunately, this was the latest report from back in March of this year:

http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/news/crime_checker/baltimore_city_crime/three-year-murder-case-goes-cold

Posted: 03/01/2011

BALTIMORE - Baltimore City Police are asking for the public's help solving a murder case from 2007.

Toby MacCombie, 30, was coming home from his job at Bostonian Shoes in White March Mall on December 23.

After taking several buses home, he arrived back his apartment on Vincent Lane in Northwest Baltimore at around 1:24 Christmas Eve morning. As he walked up the steps leading into the foyer of the apartment building, he was approached by a group of suspects. They came up behind him, shot him in the head, and then robbed him.

Toby was found a few hours later by a neighbor.

Sgt. Richard Purtell, a homicide detective with the city police department, was sent to the scene that morning. He was the one who had to call the family and let them know Toby was gone.

"It's sad," says Sgt. Purtell. "Here's a guy coming home from work. It's right before Christmas. Everybody's got the holidays on their mind. They're not thinking of the worst possible case scenario."

The next night police were called to another shooting in the area. This one in the 6600-block of Eberle Drive. In the same way as Toby's murder, the victim was shot during a robbery. However, he survived.

Sgt. Purtell said this shooting, along with other similar robberies in the area, helped them focus their investigation. Toby's killers were not targeting the young working father. They were a group of criminals taking advantage of an opportunity.

Three years later, however, and Sgt. Purtell says his investigation is at a standstill.

"We did interview everybody we could," says Purtell. "It just went cold. We couldn't find that one little spark to get us back to the suspect."

Now Sgt. Purtell is trying to get the word out on Toby's case. He's hoping someone out there with information will come forward and help bring some closure to Toby's family, especially his young children.

If you have information about this case you can call Sgt. Purtell directly at (410) 396-2100. If you rather remain anonymous, you can call Metro Crime Stoppers at 1-866-7-LOCKUP. You can can also text your tip to "CRIMES" or submit it online through metrocrimestoppers.org .

ABC 2 is working on a series profiling Maryland's cold cases. To read more, visit our website, abc2news.com/coldcases .

Phillip