KOF '98

escarioth

n00b
i never played much to the king of fighters series. Im more on the side of Street fighters.
Is there a Story behind all those king of fighters games or is it just a whole pack of fighters for multiplayers fighting purposes ?

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i never played much to the king of fighters series. Im more on the side of Street fighters.
Is there a Story behind all those king of fighters games or is it just a whole pack of fighters for multiplayers fighting purposes ?

sorry, i didn't quite understand. are you asking why there's so many of them?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

Let me google this for you...

Ip Man

15 Year Member
Yeah, seriously. How can you be on a Neo Geo forum and never played *ANY* KoF game?

Good Lord.

i have come across many here who dislike kof, though. which has always seemed a little weird to me even to this day. as well as people who tell me that they liked every instalment in the street fighter series but the alpha games. just can't get my mind around how some one could like sf4 and sf5 but dislike the alpha series.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
These people exist?? I think the alphas are at the top for me

same for me as well. although i love street fighter 2 and third strike, alpha 2 is one of my favourite games of all time.

as for the people i'me talking about, i'll under stand if they just got into the series and seem to like the newer games over some of the older ones, but they've been there since street fighter 2 and completely skipped over the alpha series because they didn't like it.

escarioth

n00b
Yeah, seriously. How can you be on a Neo Geo forum and never played *ANY* KoF game?

Good Lord.

hmm.. maybe i didnt explain myself clearly :keke: (it happens)
dont worry i know what is KOF. i just never really put myself into it.
that should change since im getting a AES and a WORKING MVS for my cab (at last) in some weeks.
sure took my sweet time :drool:

i was just wondering if all those 94,95,96,etc. had some main story along with them
(but i guess i could also go and google it like that other nice fellow just pointed out)

Ip Man

15 Year Member
hmm.. maybe i didnt explain myself clearly :keke: (it happens)
dont worry i know what is KOF. i just never really put myself into it.
that should change since im getting a AES and a WORKING MVS for my cab (at last) in some weeks.
sure took my sweet time :drool:

i was just wondering if all those 94,95,96,etc. had some main story along with them
(but i guess i could also go and google it like that other nice fellow just pointed out)

kof does have a story that continues with each new title. but you do also get the dream matches which aren't apart of the story.

orochi saga 95,96,97

nest saga 99,00,01

stand alone game 03

dream matches (aren't apart of the story) 94,98,02.

escarioth

n00b
kof does have a story that continues with each new title. but you do also get the dream matches which aren't apart of the story.

orochi saga 95,96,97

nest saga 99,00,01

stand alone game 03

dream matches (aren't apart of the story) 94,98,02.

aaah thanks :glee: thats what i wanted to know.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
because the stages were not redone in other games makes them bad?. dude, you're the first persion i've ever come across who has said the stages in kof 98 are shit. go back to threads were people pick their favourite stages in fighters, many have picked kof 98.

some of the best stages in any fighter.

I might be a bit rash in calling it shitty because that's what I always call "average stages". Stages that nobody really calls their favorite or if you ask what's your fav stage of the game it takes a bit to recall even one. It's something I got into the habit of doing following other people doing the same. My bad.

Though if you think this is top notch SNK stage making I will have to disagree w/ you. It's one of my least favorite SNK (not Playmore) KOF games when it comes to stages. Maybe it's all in the eyes of the beholder.

In the online neo-geo community in 1998? No. It was a lot of ‘98 talk, Deuce’s Last Blade 2 FAQ, metal slug 2, and some talk about Hyper Samurai Spirits 64. By 2000 there was talk about the ngp ngpc, msx, and kof 99. Street fighter talk was saved for other communities.

Source: I was there.

No, I wasn't knocking the SNK online community in their excitement of KOF '98. I was knocking the general arcade community of their excitement of KOF '98. I was there, at least in Chicago, to watch all the complaints I just brought up.

I'm not saying this trying to make out '98 to be a bad game. I bought the DC, AES and MVS copies of it and do play it from time to time. Honestly it's one of the games I am pretty good at. I said this because calling this the best game on the Neo Geo is a bit of a disservice because it was a seriously rushed product that still needed time to be finished. Other games, like MOTW, had that time and were noticeably superior to it when it comes to a finished product.

NeoGeo64

Zero's Secretary
I might be a bit rash in calling it shitty because that's what I always call "average stages". Stages that nobody really calls their favorite or if you ask what's your fav stage of the game it takes a bit to recall even one. It's something I got into the habit of doing following other people doing the same. My bad.

Though if you think this is top notch SNK stage making I will have to disagree w/ you. It's one of my least favorite SNK (not Playmore) KOF games when it comes to stages. Maybe it's all in the eyes of the beholder.

No, I wasn't knocking the SNK online community in their excitement of KOF '98. I was knocking the general arcade community of their excitement of KOF '98. I was there, at least in Chicago, to watch all the complaints I just brought up.

I'm not saying this trying to make out '98 to be a bad game. I bought the DC, AES and MVS copies of it and do play it from time to time. Honestly it's one of the games I am pretty good at. I said this because calling this the best game on the Neo Geo is a bit of a disservice because it was a seriously rushed product that still needed time to be finished. Other games, like MOTW, had that time and were noticeably superior to it when it comes to a finished product.

Exactly what makes '98 feel rushed?

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
I might be a bit rash in calling it shitty because that's what I always call "average stages". Stages that nobody really calls their favorite or if you ask what's your fav stage of the game it takes a bit to recall even one.

Other games, like MOTW, had that time and were noticeably superior to it when it comes to a finished product.

You should just leave and never return here. You don't know what you're talking about. You come in here talking about a fighting game and try to weigh in on the mighty KOF98 and you're talking about background stages?

Seriously background stages? Background stages?

If you actually knew anything about what makes a great fighting game you wouldn't be talking about background stages.

KOF98 is all about balanced game mechanics and an incredibly large dream match roster. This is the reason why the it was the most popular Neo Geo game back then and still is to this day.

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member

Well I hate to put a damper in your small world but KOF has a much larger following in Asia and South America.

I had the opportunity to travel to Japan & Hong Kong in 97-99 and I can tell you EVERYONE was playing KOF98. I would see rows of Street Fighter 3 machines completely sitting idle because everyone at that time was playing King of Fighters. I know it's hard for people in North America to grasp how big some of these Neo Geo games were because we assume that what was happening on our own shores was happening everywhere....

ChrisB

Another Striker
I’m proud to own it on AES, albeit a beater loose copy.

Ditto likewise but mines complete and no beater
Ive got a complete jpn AES kof collection. 98 is awesome I have a soft spot for 94 though, not got in to 2003 yet

Last edited:

Ip Man

15 Year Member
Ditto likewise but mines complete and no beater
Ive got a complete jpn AES kof collection. 98 is awesome I have a soft spot for 94 though, not got in to 2003 yet

hey, chris. nice to see you around here again, dude. i like kof 94 a lot myself. even play it more than i do 99 and 01.

ChrisB

Another Striker
hey, chris. nice to see you around here again, dude. i like kof 94 a lot myself. even play it more than i do 99 and 01.
Thanks Buddy, yeah nice to be back, have not had much time lately but got some free time again which is great.
Yes Kof 94 first game i played that and baseball stars 2. Yes likewise its gets more playtime than the other KOF's, it did take me some time to get in to 98 and fully appreciate it but its a sweet game.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Exactly what makes '98 feel rushed?

The game engine and 90% of the movelist is exactly the same as '97. If you look at any other 2 games in the series nothing even comes close as being similar. KOF '01 and KOF '02 are nothing alike compared to this.

The characters that are different got a little better like Saisyu, or the Sports Team, but you're still talking mostly recycled.

Some EX styles felt very unfinished (FF Team), and made the character feel handicapped. The ones that fared better (I.E. AOF Team, Orochi) were again recycled from other games.

The music was all recycled from old properties except for FF Team (which I thought '95, or '96 version was decent enough to use), and Rugal's I believe was new. The FF new song especially made it feel like they were going to make new music, then realized they didn't have enough time.

Blah Blah Blah... {Fanboy meltdown}

Slow your roll.

1st I didn't say anywhere this game wasn't good. I actually said I like this game a lot and am very proficient in it. That doesn't translate to the game is crap. The question was is this the greatest game the Neo Geo ever had. For that I say no and I gave answers.

2nd A lot of the 3rd world countries prefer Neo Geo for the price and they became easier to bootleg. Therefore they are going to have a drastically different mindset when it comes to what is popular (To which SFIII was mentioned because it was talked about, but arcade wise nobody played it) However in countries like China KOF '97 is still the preferred Neo Geo KOF game.

3rd When I was talking about arcades I was talking about my experiences in America. I stated that many times. Evil Wasabi was talking about his experiences in America.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
KOF 98 is still one of the greatest fighters ever made. My friends and I would still go back to it even when 2003 released.

Last edited:

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
If '97 had actual music for all its stages instead of the dumb environmental noise, it would be hands down better than 98 imo.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
If '97 had actual music for all its stages instead of the dumb environmental noise, it would be hands down better than 98 imo.

hands down?. 97 is my favourite in the series, but i think great music alone wouldn't make it better than 98.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
^ For what I heard the people preferring '97 has to do with the combos/infinites being basically patched out in '98. Which I find interesting comparing it to nowadays since everyone screams for a new patch to fix "x" every few months.

ovalfastlx

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I usually play once in awhile KOF 94, but I'll have to give the rest of the series a shot. Not very good at fighting games, how often do you guys play fighting games?