Game Gear ballers post here

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
a console with a GG port would be amazing.
this is one of the few consoles that still has cheap games.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
We need more pics like this.

How's that SamSho?

Samurai Shodown GG is pretty terrible, but about what you'd expect given the hardware. I can send you one if you want to give it a try.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Samurai Shodown GG is pretty terrible, but about what you'd expect given the hardware. I can send you one if you want to give it a try.

it's slow, but it has great color. It looks like SS as you are playing it, but just not fast paced. It was pretty normal for the time period with handheld fighters.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I thought the Fatal Fury game was pretty legit. I'll have to dig up a copy of SamSho sometime, now that I know it exists.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Samurai Shodown is fine, just not as fast as the arcade, just slower like any of the handheld and console releases that were all a bit off in that respect. It has clean visuals, good audio for the Game Gear, and it handles fine. Same can be said for that Fatal Fury cart too. I will say though I prefer SS1 and SS3 on the Gameboy over SS1 on the GG.

I just got #40 today for $2 -- Lucky Dime Caper Starring Mickey Mouse.

If you want something to get down over, try out Double Dragon, it doesn't handle like the arcade much at all. It's not god awful but you have to be in the mood to play it to put it nicely. ;)

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
It's a shame they don't have more GG games emulated for VC on the 3DS. Shining Force is excellent. How are the SoR games on it?

Tanooki

War Room Troll
They're just less detailed/colorful renditions of the Genesis titles. The GG games are just the SMS games if you ever saw those before. I can't recall if the resolution between the 2 devices is the same or not, but the GG does allow for more colors. I've had them on SMS in the last few years, then again now on the GG and I think they're fine. I also have SOR1 and 2 on Genesis too and I don't really play favorites there other than obviously they're more detailed and the sound track is sharper but you have to have expectations with the limits of either hardware.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Shining Force III Scenario 1 made it to the US, expensive pick up if I recall right, but parts 2 and 3 did not.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Better Late Than Never?

DSCN5766_zpsest4nbek.jpg

DSCN5768_zpsfg2pwky3.jpg

DSCN5769_zpskwhirhyv.jpg

The only thing left missing from this pic is SoR2, and one more Game Gear that's in pieces because it needs to be re-capped.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
They're just less detailed/colorful renditions of the Genesis titles. The GG games are just the SMS games if you ever saw those before. I can't recall if the resolution between the 2 devices is the same or not, but the GG does allow for more colors. I've had them on SMS in the last few years, then again now on the GG and I think they're fine. I also have SOR1 and 2 on Genesis too and I don't really play favorites there other than obviously they're more detailed and the sound track is sharper but you have to have expectations with the limits of either hardware.

The Master System is slightly higher as far as resolution.

This is especially noticeable in Sonic the Hedgehog 2, during the first boss fight. The lower res makes the attacks come so quickly from off screen that it's nearly impossible. The Master System version of the game is much, much better for this reason.

But in general, yeah, the differences between SMS and GG games are minimal. GG has more colors, SMS is slightly higher res. Most games you probably wouldn't even notice the difference.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Shining Force III Scenario 1 made it to the US, expensive pick up if I recall right, but parts 2 and 3 did not.

We're talking about Game Gear games in the Game Gear thread, not the Saturn games. The 3rd Shining Force game for Game Gear, Final Conflict, was only released in Japan.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I was thinking the series in general yes I know it's a Game Gear thread but I didn't know it had 3 so that popped in my head.

...and yes the SMS was slightly better on the resolution so you do get special cases like that, but on the whole there's not really a difference on the two unless the game was better recolorized or made just for GG to get more colors going on the stuff.

I got word of the weekend my GG I sent out was fully recapped and had the CFL jerked out and the LED strip put in place. It works fantastic, images online aren't as good as the eyes to show the better lighting, even the lovely dimmer wheel still does its job too. I've read it can last like upwards of 8 hours up from 2-3 on the old CFL so if I ever need to go battery play with it, it will not be a waste. Can't wait to get it back and put those original guts of my blue game gear back inside the blue shell. I got a 2nd gray one from a friend free that was recapped so I had tossed that into my shell so shortly here (mid week) I'll have 2 upgraded game gears.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
DSCN5766_zpsest4nbek.jpg

DSCN5768_zpsfg2pwky3.jpg

DSCN5769_zpskwhirhyv.jpg

The only thing left missing from this pic is SoR2, and one more Game Gear that's in pieces because it needs to be re-capped.

Fucking-A right! Nice lineup.

I've noticed that everyone else seems to have that carrying case except for me. What's it look like on the inside?

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I don't have it. Quite honestly I don't want to spend the $15 or so for it because it looks big and bulky so it will be harder to store it. I don't take mine anywhere so I have a black silk/faux silk glasses wipe rag I just drape over the top of it in the drawer I keep it in with the wooden box that has all of my games in it. If it suddenly had some need to be carried around a lot I'd find a small cushy carry case/bag to put it in.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,

I've noticed that everyone else seems to have that carrying case except for me. What's it look like on the inside?

I've got one (but no pic). There's lots of molded plastic to hold batteries, two stacks of games in cases and of course, the system. The system holds in place when opening, but iirc, the games and batteries could easily pop out, so you have to open it with that side laying down. It might just be that my case is worn, but it's nice.

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer

Haha, I am in the minority like you. I have probably a dozen units I've picked up over the years for the games in lots and stuff and if they had a carrying case it was always the fabric/bag type one.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member

There's two variants that I've seen. The one I have is the better of the two, IMO. It has room for eight games in cases, A/C adapter, Master Gear Converter, extra batteries, rechargeable battery pack, and of course the system itself. I got it and a Game Gear and a few games ealier this year for twenty-ish dollars.

Edit: It may have been closer to thirty after shipping, now that I think on it.
Closer to the edit: It was last year and it was the case, four games, and a system for thirty-five. Had to look it up.

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Nice selection fenikso!

I'd like a transport solution for my system, preferably something "small", that only holds the GG itself (without games etc.). Guess I'll be best off looking for a bag/case that was made for something entirely different with almost the same measurements... any of you have a tip?

Also: Are there any good 2 player games that would make the Gear-to-Gear Cable (+2nd system) worth it?

here's my stuff btw.
Spoiler:
qRsDPUP.jpg

I also have a dead Tails Adventure cart ("Game Gear"-Label) - will let it go for the shipping costs if anyone wants it.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Nice selection fenikso!

I'd like a transport solution for my system, preferably something "small", that only holds the GG itself (without games etc.). Guess I'll be best off looking for a bag/case that was made for something entirely different with almost the same measurements... any of you have a tip?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEGA-Game-G...511984?hash=item211653cef0:g:qXIAAOSwENxXm71A

I picked up one of those bags a while back. It's actually wide enough that you can put two Game Gears in it, but the material isn't stiff so it does a good job with just one. I got it when I got the Everdrive since I wasn't going to be carrying a bunch of games anymore. I didn't pay that price though...

I also have a couple of little lunch bags I got at the dollar store that I use for some of the other systems. The Turbo Express and Nomad fit in the thing perfectly. It even saved my Nomad from my daughter spilling tea all over it.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
how hard is it to recap a Game Gear? I'm debating if I want to recap or just buy a cheap working system.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
All this game gear talk makes me want to get into it, they look awesome. I wanted a game gear a couple of years back but never had the time to actually find one working.

how hard is it to recap a Game Gear? I'm debating if I want to recap or just buy a cheap working system.

From what I was told by Gohan, they are surface mounted so for someone with no soldering experience (like myself) it can be difficult.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member

I'll let you know when I can get some time to finally start on mine.

All this game gear talk makes me want to get into it, they look awesome.

Get stuff before the hipsters catch on.

The LCD sucks, and the games are SMS-quality, but they're good IMO.

Emulate it first, see if it's for you.