Games reacting weirdly due to voltage on a supergun?

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
I recently picked up a RetroElectronick Supergun board, and it works fine, but I noticed that some of my game boards don't react normally..

The supergun is powered by an Corsair 450w PSU, it's connected directly to the supergun's atx 24 pins connector.

I left the hobby for several years ago, but kept my boards in a safe place, so they werent left in a shitty shed outside. They all worked perfectly on the numerous cabs I owned.

Atomiswave works fine
Neo-geo works fine
Tekken 3 and Soul Calibur works fine.

My legit non-bootleg Cabal board works, but the game boots straight to a black screen that says CREDITS 99. The game isn't set to free play mode. The game used to boot to a laughing skull head with the cabal logo. Now it boots straight to the credits 99 black screen. The gameplay works fine

Primal Rage acts weirdly too. The directional controls don't work, and I can't access the service menu. When I trigger it, the screen becomes garbled for a second, and it returns to the title screen. When you play.. the text "DEMO MODE" flashes on screen, the directions are disabled but the buttons works. The CPU barely reacts and when it hits you, you don't lose energy. That's pretty weird.

The voltmeter on the supergun says that it gets around 5.10 or 5.08, depending on the board, which seems high.

I don't think there is a way to adjust voltage on an atx powersupply? I'm surprised nobody came up with a solution if there isn't a way.

I found a random arcade psu I had left from my cab collecting days, it's a Wey-ya (?) powersupply and it looks pretty cheap. I'm not sure I want to risk damaging my boards with it, but then again I don't think it appreciates having higher than normal voltages being sent out to it.

Perhaps there is a way on the supergun itself? The thing came in with no manual and they ignored my message when I wrote them.

Any solutions?

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
You cannot adjust the 5v on the atx psu, and don't use a wei-ya, those things are trash. I got a new weiya and it died after 2 weeks.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
5.10v is not abnormally high. Most recommendations are not to go much higher than that, however. I would start by testing the voltage on the boards when they're powered on to make sure the reading on the meter is accurate.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
This is where the problem lies in these little supergun units. You have to use an atx power supply (bad idea) or wire up your own adjustable supply to an atx connector which is funny because you likely bought the supergun as you don't know how to make your own.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
The Retroelectronik will let you use a standard arcade power supply instead of the ATX, so definitely swap over to a high quality adjustable arcade power supply like a Suzo Happ Power Pro.

And +1 on the advice to check the power output of the SuperGun on the JAMMA edge with a multimeter to make sure the meter is accurate.

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
Thanks for the input, I'm going to get a suzo power pro instead. I just tried P.O.W and i'm experiencing weird random black bars artifacts. Even the title screen will show "Prisoners of War" and then suddenly the letters 'of wars' get scrambled.

I'm going to order one and report in after.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I've used a Suzo Happ Power Pro with my HAS supergun for quite awhile with no problems. It's a great power supply.

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
I ended up ordering a suze happ psu, it works perfectly now.

I gotta say the Suze happ store isn't that great, you gotta have a minimum order of $50, and their shipping options for Canada are crazy expensive, AND I got hit by customs..

Oh well, I needed it anyway!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I ended up ordering a suze happ psu, it works perfectly now.

I gotta say the Suze happ store isn't that great, you gotta have a minimum order of $50, and their shipping options for Canada are crazy expensive, AND I got hit by customs..

Oh well, I needed it anyway!

I think Cajun Arcade sells them as well as that's where I used to get them for the later end of of my superguns.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
It might be that the ATX supply doesnt have enough amps, it can offer the 5v you need but the draw may be too heavy for it. +1 on the arcade PSU.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
It might be that the ATX supply doesnt have enough amps, it can offer the 5v you need but the draw may be too heavy for it. +1 on the arcade PSU.

Yep. Even if the levels look good if the amperage is short you'll have problems. 5.10 as measured at the JAMMA edge should work fantastic if the board is in working order (and enough amps on the PSU).

The_jake

n00b
How does one use an atx power supply to power one of these things? Apparently the atx does not work if not connected to a cpu motherboard.

Last edited:

The_jake

n00b
Usually jump/connect the green wire to ground, can use a SpSt switch too.

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-power-up-an-ATX-Power-Supply-without-a-PC/

Thank you; I see. So then you plug it into the supergun? Would y you have to take out the jumper which would shut down the power supply at that point. I’m just trying to figure out the logistics bc I want to buy something like this and have an atx I can use which would kinda be easier/cheaper at this point than buying another psu

The_jake

n00b
This is where the problem lies in these little supergun units. You have to use an atx power supply (bad idea) or wire up your own adjustable supply to an atx connector which is funny because you likely bought the supergun as you don't know how to make your own.

True. I’m not finding much good, recent information online about this stuff and I would think most people buying this things want something easy.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Or just use a power supply with a built in switch. Generally most come with them now

I have a Silverstone SFX 450 Watt 90+ Gold supply I use (because I had a spare) and there is a switch on the back. Flip it and the supergun is good to go.

I’ve never had any 5V or load issues with that particular supply. Not saying I’ve tested everything under the sun but it’s worked across a range of boards, from early 2D stuff all the way through late 90’s JAMMA based 3D arcade boards (M2, Hyper Neo Geo, etc)

A_T_P

n00b
Thank you; I see. So then you plug it into the supergun? Would y you have to take out the jumper which would shut down the power supply at that point. I’m just trying to figure out the logistics bc I want to buy something like this and have an atx I can use which would kinda be easier/cheaper at this point than buying another psu

Oh no no. Don't turn it on with the jumper and then plug it in. Always plug it in while it's off.

You shouldn't need the jumper wire regardless if it's plugged into the supergun. It should just work once you turn it on if it has a switch, or plug it in, as awbacon said.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Allthough you can use a ATX supply I really would get a proper arcade PSU that you can adjust the 5v rail on.

You would be amazed how many games need that little extra juice to get going properly.
I have a Area 51 board that requires a crazy amount of power, well over what any of my other boards require!
I was genuinely concerned I was going to fry the board the first time I powered it up but its a unique board in that it actually has its own inbuilt voltage tester so you just keep cranking it up until the LED comes on.
Still scary though when my meter is telling me its taking like 5.4/5.5!