New Product - Daedalus NeoGeo Converter

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
But you can overwrite a flash with a newer version, can't you?

Provided that NG: DEV send you the flash data for the original version for a downgrade, which they probably will never do.

Spocky

n00b
I have ordered one Daedalus adapter but I have problems to import it to Germany (European Union). The customs officer said, it has no CE-sign and so I cannot take the adapter with me. Any ideas?

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
That's ridiculous! I hope this isn't a sign of things to come with Europe! The number of PCBs and adaptor boards I've had over the years and now they are saying that something like an AES adaptor needs CE marking - wtf!?!?

Get it returned to the seller, then get them to resend it to your parents address and have them mark it as electronic components, for repair. Then it should get to you.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
That's ridiculous! I hope this isn't a sign of things to come with Europe! The number of PCBs and adaptor boards I've had over the years and now they are saying that something like an AES adaptor needs CE marking - wtf!?!?
I've heard of that before. There's a guy who tried to import an US exclusive LEGO set and ended up having the same problem. No CE sign, no import.
However, I'm pretty sure it all depends on who you're talking to. Fortunately, the guys at my local customs office aren't as strict.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
The daedalus seems to be out of stock on the neostore, which (AFAIK) were the only ones having them new. Price will skyrocket if no more are built, I guess.

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
The daedalus seems to be out of stock on the neostore, which (AFAIK) were the only ones having them new. Price will skyrocket if no more are built, I guess.

Actually, I was told that there might be one last stock coming in to the NeoStore of the Daedalus, so I hope there will be one more to show up before they disappear. So, I would not say they are gone for good...just yet. ;) If they are though, that would suck as it's THE best converter made for the Neo-Geo, and it will be the final that NEEDs to be made, as it can play all normal MVS carts you throw at it that do not require the MVS RAM hardware. Therefore, no more converters are required to ever come out, as long as the NGDevTeam never change their design to be like the Fast Striker 1.0 cart was. :)

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Actually, I was told that there might be one last stock coming in to the NeoStore of the Daedalus, so I hope there will be one more to show up before they disappear. So, I would not say they are gone for good...just yet. ;) If they are though, that would suck as it's THE best converter made for the Neo-Geo, and it will be the final that NEEDs to be made, as it can play all normal MVS carts you throw at it that do not require the MVS RAM hardware. Therefore, no more converters are required to ever come out, as long as the NGDevTeam never change their design to be like the Fast Striker 1.0 cart was. :)

Thanks for the information man. I entered my e-mail address to be notified if this gets again in stock.

Regards.

Missile

Another Striker
Hi I bought the the Daedulus convertor here on the very first production run and used it to play my NG Dev Team carts (but not the Fast Striker I mention below) Worked fine.

I have a MVS LE Fast Striker (very first production run) which I used to play on a CMVS before I had the Daedalus . I sold the CMVS a few years ago. I tried playing it on the Daedalus yesterday and it didn't do anything (although once I got an error message MCV error??). The LED inside the cart lit up and flashed at times too.

My question is : is the Daedulus compatible with the very first run of MVS Fast Strikers? At the moment I don't know if my Fast Striker cartridge has broken or not. I know the next run of Fast Striker carts they made were compatible with MVS to AES convertors so the very first run was different.

Appreciate any info or help.

Fakk2

Hi I bought the the Daedulus convertor here on the very first production run and used it to play my NG Dev Team carts (but not the Fast Striker I mention below) Worked fine.

I have a MVS LE Fast Striker (very first production run) which I used to play on a CMVS before I had the Daedalus . I sold the CMVS a few years ago. I tried playing it on the Daedalus yesterday and it didn't do anything (although once I got an error message MCV error??). The LED inside the cart lit up and flashed at times too.

My question is : is the Daedulus compatible with the very first run of MVS Fast Strikers? At the moment I don't know if my Fast Striker cartridge has broken or not. I know the next run of Fast Striker carts they made were compatible with MVS to AES convertors so the very first run was different.

Appreciate any info or help.

You need to update the cart to it's last revision for it to work on the Daedalus. Ask for the firmware from the NGDevTeam and they will email it to you and updating it is very easy. I updated ALL My DGDevTeam games through my AES using the Daedalus converter and nothing ever went wrong. Good luck!

EDIT: Please tell the NGDevTeam that you have the first revision of the Fast Striker cart, it might not be updatable, but you never know. If it is then it should work fine once updated.

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Suddenly, a wild Fakk appears. (#129)

Missile

Another Striker
You need to update the cart to it's last revision for it to work on the Daedalus. Ask for the firmware from the NGDevTeam and they will email it to you and updating it is very easy. I updated ALL My DGDevTeam games through my AES using the Daedalus converter and nothing ever went wrong. Good luck!

EDIT: Please tell the NGDevTeam that you have the first revision of the Fast Striker cart, it might not be updatable, but you never know. If it is then it should work fine once updated.

Excellent. Thanks for the help - exactly what I needed. Yes I'm not sure if it is updateable or not. I will check with them.

Fakk2

Suddenly, a wild Fakk appears. (#129)

lol, indeed! When I see something worth replying to, I do make an appearance. It's too bad there are not many things left worth replying to anymore. Hopefully when KB finally comes out on the MVS/AES, and SNK's new games arrive along with the appearance of their "Classic Console" they spoke to me about at the Sony PlayStation Experience 2016, might make me reply more in the near future. ;)

#129 - Interesting comparison BTW :D ha~!

Excellent. Thanks for the help - exactly what I needed. Yes I'm not sure if it is updateable or not. I will check with them.

Glad to be of some help! :)

Last edited:

Fakk2

you know I can't do without some salt... ;)

I know bro, hehe, I had a feeling that if I came back for a couple words someone would jump in there with some salt for me. ;)

Yeah I know, the state of our old AES/MVS, (and SNK), right now has without a doubt lost so much steam. You know that when SNK talks about VC on the Wii, (or the Switch), as something to look forward to for excitement, you know that things are bleak. ;) Hopefully we will see something new pop up though to give us something to discuss once again. :)

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Hopefully we will see something new pop up though to give us something to discuss once again. :)

Wouldn't mind seeing Last Oddysee and Warlocks of the Fates released sometime.

Fakk2

Wouldn't mind seeing Last Oddysee and Warlocks of the Fates released sometime.

I totally agree, since Warlock of the Fates is finished, it will be nice to see it when it pops up, perhaps SNK can release it on the WiiU or something, and we can grab the copy there some way. As for the Pinball game, even that would be nice to see on the Neo since the Neo is lacking a pinball title really bad. If the game is anything like Alien Crush then we are in for a real treat. :)

RetroGiga68k

New Challenger
Now there are literally *4* left in stock on the Neo Store. If that was truly the last restock batch ever, then hopefully with special care everyone can still keep these dream MVS-to-AES converters 100% functional for decades to come. At least I'm hoping that will be the case, based on the apparent above average build quality, despite the horizontal stress issue...

A reminder to new Daedalus users do NOT ignore the gravity stress issue, it is imperative for the long-term health of our Daedalus, to place something substantial between the MVS cart and the AES console's body at all times (fyi I still use a smallish piece of hard cardboard wrapped inside multiple layers of bubble-wrap, that seems to do the job OK - or maybe try something like this). Hopefully this way a well cared for Daedalus may be good enough to continue working for many years beyond the relatively short lifespan of cheaply made converters from china.

Last edited:

Fakk2

Now there are literally *4* left in stock on the Neo Store. If that was truly the last restock batch ever, then hopefully with special care everyone can still keep these dream MVS-to-AES converters 100% functional for decades to come. At least I'm hoping that will be the case, based on the apparent above average build quality, despite the horizontal stress issue...

A reminder to new Daedalus users do NOT ignore the gravity stress issue, it is imperative for the long-term health of our Daedalus, to place something substantial between the MVS cart and the AES console's body at all times (fyi I still use a smallish piece of hard cardboard wrapped inside multiple layers of bubble-wrap, that seems to do the job OK - or maybe try something like this). Hopefully this way a well cared for Daedalus may be good enough to continue working for many years beyond the relatively short lifespan of cheaply made converters from china.

Strangely, I have a cheaply made converter from China that the Daedalus design is made from, been using it since 1994 yearly, and to this day it never ever gave me any issue due to it's horizontal design, and it plays everything that the Daedalus plays, huh go figure. ;)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Strangely, I have a cheaply made converter from China that the Daedalus design is made from, been using it since 1994 yearly, and to this day it never ever gave me any issue due to it's horizontal design, and it plays everything that the Daedalus plays, huh go figure. ;)

Didn't DavidG mod your converter to play the entire library?

RetroGiga68k

New Challenger
Fakk2, I'm very surprised your Pranslation has lasted that long with regular use. Either you take exceptionally great care of your electronics, or whatever factory produced that back in the day had better QA and production standards than typical modern low-end disposable electronics production. Does anyone recall if any Pranslation users back in the day ever reported any glitches caused by horizontal stress, or is that unique to the Daedalus?

Fakk2

Didn't DavidG mod your converter to play the entire library?

Yes James, DavidG and I worked together doing tests on the Pranslation, (along with another member that had the Double Space converter), that I have in order to make the super converter which is now known as the Daedalus. What I now own is a Daedalus Prototype, and it contains the exact same traces that are found in the Daedalus, the same type of side loading cart slot, the works. It plays everything that the Daedalus plays, and I have owned it since the early 90's, or mid 90's. It was made in 1992 or so, and it works like a charm. I actually let DavidG work with both of my Pranslations, and both of them have the same contact's and wires /traces that the Daedalus has. The only difference between the Daedalus and the Prototypes I own, is that the Pranslation has an older cart slot side loader that is about 1/10th deeper than the ones made for the Daedalus which helps give the games ever so slight more contact with the game pins, so Last Hope Classic and Super Bubble Pop have no glitches that appear on the screen or random rebooting that the current Daedalus has. These are the only 2 games that have any issues with the current Daedalus that I can find, and I have the entire library of MVS carts, among many different revisions AES consoles to test them on. The glitches on those 2 games are simply due to the fact that those same cart slots cannot be found anymore, so new ones had to be made, and Super Bubble Pop and Last Hope Classic just need to have better contact it seems with the converter to function properly. At least this it what I believe.

Fakk2, I'm very surprised your Pranslation has lasted that long with regular use. Either you take exceptionally great care of your electronics, or whatever factory produced that back in the day had better QA and production standards than typical modern low-end disposable electronics production. Does anyone recall if any Pranslation users back in the day ever reported any glitches caused by horizontal stress, or is that unique to the Daedalus?

Yes, I take exceptional care of everything I own, however, there should be no difference in "horizontal stress" caused by the Daedalus or Pranslations, or MVS-AEG converters due to the fact that the slide open dust covers on the AES hold the cart firmly in place, and the converter itself is basically held in place just fine by a combination of the cart itself being stuck in two cart slots, and the dust covers firmly hold the cartridge in place firmly sticking straight up. It might put a tiny bit of stress on the AES cart connectors themselves, but the converter is unaffected by the cart sticking out the side of it.

Now, I will completely admit, the cart slot on the Daedalus has a bit more give in it, allowing the carts to be taken out and put in a bit more simply, because the Pranslation cart connectors are so damn rock solid that you have to PRY the carts in it by laying the cart flat on a table and then getting a MVS cart on top and jamming it in, and then for removal you must do the same, but you have to wiggle the MVS cart back and forth and pull with a shit ton of might to get it out. This was looked at as a bad thing, so the new cart slots just simply are made a touch shorter and are not so hard as a rock. I do not think that this affects the Daedalus, and even if the Daedalus were to break in the future, the converters are basically like the SNES ones which are point to point made, with just a few repeater logic chips inside on the P rom board so that the final games work properly, and there is no "Magic" to these converters that needs to be made, so other people can simply look at the lines in my Prototype, and just copy/paste that into an new converter and it's a done deal.

Simply put, the only thing that gets stressed by using a Daedalus is the cart slot in your AES, and thanks to the AES dust doors and thanks to the AES using not one, but two cart slots, the stress being done to the AES is extremely minimal. Your Daedalus should work for the rest of your life, and if your AES has very sturdy doors on it, then your AES should also be just fine. :) No worry's, the Daedalus was made the way it is for a reason. It was to reduce the height of the carts inserted so your AES can be put in a normal bookshelf or entertainment center without the worry of the games hitting the shelf above it, and it also allows people to SEE what game your playing, and so it looks cool, (among being able to play on all revisions of AES consoles without a power supply or using a screwdriver to fine tune things, and playing every game in the library without a problem). ;)

Last edited:

RetroGiga68k

New Challenger
Your Daedalus should work for the rest of your life, and if your AES has very sturdy doors on it, then your AES should also be just fine. No worry's, the Daedalus was made the way it is for a reason. It was to reduce the height of the carts inserted so your AES can be put in a normal bookshelf or entertainment center without the worry of the games hitting the shelf above it, and it also allows people to SEE what game your playing, and so it looks cool, (among being able to play on all revisions of AES consoles without a power supply or using a screwdriver to fine tune things, and playing every game in the library without a problem).

The Daedalus is a tremendous success on all those counts. I really appreciate the time and energy you contributed to the Daedalus project, and it's comforting to read your optimistic appraisal of the converter's lifespan, now that production appears discontinued.

Based on my personal experience with Daedalus I have to continue to recommend owners place an object snugly inbetween the horizontal MVS cart and the AES console to eliminate any chance of mid-game freezes or resets (this appears to help the MVS cart maintain 100% contact with Daedalus at all times). But I also agree based on your description that the original Pranslation's death-grip way of holding MVS carts is not a preferable alternative (removing some MVS carts from the Daedalus already requires plenty of force as it is now). And really, it just takes me two seconds to quickly slip something under an MVS cart to help prop it up, so it's totally worth that to have this top-tier converter. :)

Fakk2

The Daedalus is a tremendous success on all those counts. I really appreciate the time and energy you contributed to the Daedalus project, and it's comforting to read your optimistic appraisal of the converter's lifespan, now that production appears discontinued.

Based on my personal experience with Daedalus I have to continue to recommend owners place an object snugly inbetween the horizontal MVS cart and the AES console to eliminate any chance of mid-game freezes or resets (this appears to help the MVS cart maintain 100% contact with Daedalus at all times). But I also agree based on your description that the original Pranslation's death-grip way of holding MVS carts is not a preferable alternative (removing some MVS carts from the Daedalus already requires plenty of force as it is now). And really, it just takes me two seconds to quickly slip something under an MVS cart to help prop it up, so it's totally worth that to have this top-tier converter. :)

Yeah, it's no problem, I just contributed to the project by giving my converter to DavidG along with some of my NGDevTeam games, and a few other titles that have issues with past converters, and spoke back and forth with him on what would be the best design, and the best way to make the Daedalus, along with doing a lot of testing once I got the Pranslation back a few times having to send it back and do more testing to get things right, but in the end the Daedalus would never have come to fruition without DavidG, he is the master behind this converter, and I really am glad that he decided to make it the way he did, because had he made it like the Phantom-1 it would be more of a nightmare trying to figure out where to put the AES to play games, and trying to put games in it and take them out would be a bigger nightmare. So I think overall he did a great job building the last required converter for the AES.

As for production of the Daedalus 5.0 being discontinued, I would not count on that happening this go around just yet. I have spoken with Shawn on several occasions about the possibility of the Daedalus no longer being manufactured, and Shawn seems optimistic that they will continue to make more of them as long as there is still interest for them in the Neo market, and looking at how each batch has sold out every single time, in just about the same time frame, I think there should be another batch to come out after this one sells out. This is just a guess of course, but I think if DavidG knows he can sell another 100 of these bad boys, then chances are he will produce another batch. I think everyone is finally getting it that this converter plays everything under the sun, and that it is far above and beyond the others before it, and that alone gets people to want to dump the old ones that they bought and grab a Daedalus just for the fact they know no matter what AES they have and no matter what game they wanna play, it will indeed work. For a long time Shawn was advertising that the Daedalus did not work with Gunlord and games after that, not knowing that it actually worked with EVERY game, and now that I have told Shawn the true compatibility of the Daedalus, and he changed the description, more units will fly off shelves. So, there is really no need to panic just yet, as I think there should be at least one more batch to come just around the corner if not more, depending on sales that is.

Finally, if you feel comfortable placing something under the converter I see no reason to do so. I thought about doing that the first year I owned the Pranslation until one day it just hit me that it was not necessary to do that, and I stopped using a pair of socks to "lift" the cart up a bit, and nothing has occurred to my converter or AES since then. I understand that it's floating in the back of your mind when seeing that cart sticking out sideways, but I can assure you, if the cart is really stuck in the converter and your AES is of decent quality without faults to begin with, all should work well, and as Forrest Gump said, "And that's all I have to say......about that." :D ;) Later bro, enjoy your converter!

Jag-Master

"Hey, are we done here?..., Cause I'm losing my bu
15 Year Member

Problem solved: https://www.neosdstore.com/shop/index.php

Your welcome