The Super 138 in 1 without the sub-pcb: using a dipswitch. Game list with binary code.

TobyPC

n00b
Can someone post a diagram for this dip switch mod? I really want to pick up a 138 and do this mod to it.
The pictures aren't super clear to me. Also, where did you get the dip switch from?

I enjoy my 161-in-1 but the fact that it wipes the scores and soft dip settings of my real carts when I switch games is bothering me.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
I will be uploading a video on YouTube over the weekend! I will do a diagram for it as well.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
The circuit diagram is at the end of my vid. You just need to get a resistor array, the DIP switch and some matrix / vero strip board.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
The circuit diagram is at the end of my vid. You just need to get a resistor array, the DIP switch and some matrix / vero strip board.
Thanks!! Somehow I missed that you included them. I've got the parts ordered, and will order the 138-in-1 today too.

MayhemJB

n00b
Oh this is Awesome! Thank you, I have been trying to figure something like this out for myself and I am glad someone already did.

Finally received my 138 in 1 Multi Cart (Blue Casing) yesterday and I immediately set about creating a dip switch similar to GadgetUK’s . Unfortunately, I was unsuccessful in being able to access anything other than KOF 2002 regardless of dip setting. I just got nothing, Kof 2002 occasionally and now and again a backup ram Error (Not related to yesterday’s concern Gadgetuk – I checked this without the cart and its fine, no errors).

I have clearly wired the thing up wrong however, holding the cable up with the wires facing me as explained by another forum user. I identified that from left to right was as follows:

Red = GND
Green = VCC
Pins 3-10 = dips

Or so I thought, but this didn’t work and gave me access to super dodgeball but mainly KOF 2002, a pink screen at one point and a backup ram error depending on the combination selected.

I then I tried the reverse:

Black= GND
Grey = VCC
Pins 3-10 = dips

Every dip combination then became only either KOF 2002 (with Graphical Errors – spotting) or a blank screen.

I’ve gone over it over and over and frustratingly I cannot work out where I’ve gone wrong.

I have VCC going to the first connection of the Resister array (10k), with each dip connecting to a separate resistor and then the corresponding dip. Ground is connected round the back to the other side of the dips. I haven’t seen the underside of GadgetUK’s switch so tried my best to put one together via the circuit diagram and his vid description….but have clearly gone wrong somewhere. Any help appreciated. As Below:

2zhiadh.jpg

inekxs.jpg

2whjoyx.jpg

iejww3.jpg

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
It looks like you've probably got it wired correctly - just double check it reflects this diagram:-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3fyz0c1l7jkzxa6/138 in 1 diagram.jpg?dl=0

The DIP positions are inverted on my diagram btw, so if on the list it says 11100001, set switches to OFF OFF OFF ON ON ON ON OFF etc. You can easily flip that logic by swapping the VCC and ground around I think.

It is worth checking the colours of the wires there vs my video - are they connected the same way to the board in the cart as well as the white connector? It looks like they are, in which case black is GND, grey is VCC (not really a VCC but an output from another chip but it is what is required).

EDIT: Check your resistor pack is the right way around - notch on it should have the 5v going into it. 5v should connect no where else on there, just that 1 pin of the resistor pack. Then each output pin of resistor pack feeds the data lines directly, all seperately via its own 10K resistor. Then the switch simply 'pulls' a given data line low (to GND).

Last edited:
Thanks for this. Yeah I followed your diagram and even re- created it myself to ensure I had made sense of it correctly as follows:

4vg48g.jpg

I tried inverted dip switches also but no joy - blank screen or KOF 2002 with graphical errors. I will need to get hold of a voltmeter (mines broke) to be sure of the location of the VCC. Yes connected Identical to your setup in your video – same way on the board also.

The resistor pack is connected correctly with the notch reciveing the 5v connection from pin 2.

However I have just noticed it is currently wired as follows:

ie4doy.jpg

Could this be the problem?....although this is the arrangement on another dip I spied so unsure.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
You've got that wired for weak pull downs, rather than pull ups on resistors. It's probably not pulling enough to ground.

When the resistors are on the vcc feeds, the switch to gnd then provides a stronger pull down.

Just don't short your vcc and gnd by accident - there needs to be that 10k inbetween.

Last edited:
Kind of thought so. So I need to redo and have the Pins connect AFTER the resistors (not before)? Any chance you could throw up a quick pick of the underside of your dipswitch to keep me right? thanks for all your help

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Here ya go:-
IMG_1343.jpgIMG_1345.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1344.jpg
    IMG_1344.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 244
Last edited:
My soldering skills are nothing compared to yours, lol. Terrible at best. I give up! Relocated the resister array which fixed all graphical glitches....but...it's still only loads kof 2002!!!! It's driving me mental.

How bout I Box it up with all the bits (board, resistors etc) post it out to you along you £20 via pay pal for the trouble?

Any help would be appreciated :)

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Post some updated photos of the PCB top and bottom! There must be a rational explanation. Have you checked where the wire joins the MVS cart board to make sure a wire hasn't broken off?

Ive ordered up a new dip switch, so Im going to start again from scratch and ensure all connections are 100% + set out correctly. I've absolutly butchered my current one with soldering and desoldering. So will keep you updated. Appreciate all your help. When I finally post a screen shot of Metal Slug 5 (which is why I bought this cart) you'll know I've been successful :)

Just to clarify, before I butcher another one, from what I can gauge from your photos:

2rc3604.jpg

...which was my original set up. You dont by any chance know the part no. of the white PCB Socket? I'll need to source another also.

Last edited:

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
The pics you've edited there look correct to me. If it's still not working after that it must be your connector, or the wires going into the mvs cart (they can break off board inside cart). I've also seen breaks in the cable joining the 2 cart boards, but generally you get mismatched sound gfx and code when that happens.

That connector looks ok, is it making connection to your dip correctly - especially the end pins as those tend to be the hardest to solder. Of course you don't need the connector, you could just solder wires to the PCB

I think you may well be right. The pins on the connector connecting to the dip board are very brittle and the VCC had broken off at one point. I did fix this but no joy. My soldering is so terrible its very hard to tell where connections are good or bad to be honest. I'm going to make a direct connection using the wires as I dont trust the other connections on the connector either....this should also result in a more compact dip switch for integrating into the Cart itself.

It has also just dawned on me that KOF2002 MAGIC II's dip is 00000000 - which is the only game I can access regardless of setting which tells me that the problem is possibly a poor ground/VCC connection.

Last edited:

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
And don't forget if you wire it like mine dip switch values are inverted. I got that same KOF game coming up every time like you're getting, when I had missing gnd or vcc.

Yeh, thats fine by me. I like the fact that to choose "2", for example, I need to move the switch closest to the 2 position..it just works in my head so suits me fine. I will just ensure my connections are 100% this time. I was in too much of a rush to get it working that I achieved the opposite.

third attempt!...failure. Nothing but black sreen, crosshatch screen or back up ram message...its going on ebay..

v9snm.jpg

2a4qtuf.jpg

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Have you check the other end of that cable to make sure it's connected to the cart PCB properly? I would suggest there's something wrong with the cart, and not your wiring!

For example if ground or vcc are not getting to your board it will give you the issues you are experiencing!

I am also wondering if the wiring is the same as mine was, regards to colour of wires and order they go to the sub PCB. I think you covered that above though. I take it you've tried inverting the switches as well, 1 = OFF, 0 = ON?

Last edited:
Yeah, all seems fine which is driving me crazy! I'm going to have one more bash but I'm going to solder the wires and resistor pack directly onto the dip prongs (no PCB). If works, then great, I will be able to mount the dip switch into the cart easily....if not, I will redo all connections on the cart.

Yeh, colours and order on the PCB identical to yours. I have a funny feeling that, as my soldering is pretty poor and my solder along with soldering iron is from the 80s with a huge tip, that solder maybe touching in places not visible and/or connections are still bad. I will rule this out by the following:

DIPSwitch02_Attaching5v_soldered.jpg

DIPSwitch03_NetworkResistor.jpg

DIPSwitch05_TwoWiresAttached_labelsB.jpg

Last edited:
Update - all wired up and got dips 12357 and 8 working. I've stripped the cart and checked all connections. Managed to get couple of games using the above dips but there still seems to be a bad connection. I'm wondering if I just have a duff cart.