PS2 slim with a lot o fan-noise and RGB problem.

rodolfocm

Another Striker
Got a PS2 Slim, model SCPH-77001, modded with Matrix makes a fucking lot of noise when on.

Already opened it and used an air can to clean it (didn't have a lot of dust) and nothing changed. Any ideas how I can solve this? Also for some reason it doesn't work with RGB and XRGB Framemeister. I appreciate any help!

eek

Mature's Make-up Artist
15 Year Member
Can't help you on the noise other than to suggest a fan replacement but for RGB check the settings in the system menu as it may be set to output component.

On one of my modded slim ps2 (not sure which chip) the system menu is forced to component even though I select RGB. It'll go to RGB after it boots up the game, IIRC.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Can't help you on the noise other than to suggest a fan replacement but for RGB check the settings in the system menu as it may be set to output component.

On one of my modded slim ps2 (not sure which chip) the system menu is forced to component even though I select RGB. It'll go to RGB after it boots up the game, IIRC.

This, you have to switch from component to rgb.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Doesn't work like how? IIRC the Frame Meister needs raw sync, and if your adapter for it doesn't strip sync, your PS2 is using Composite as sync.

rodolfocm

Another Striker
Thanks for the help, guys. Sorry I wasn't clear enough on the RGB problem.

About the fan, is it easy to replace it? Any suggestion of places where I can buy a new one?
For the RGB, it does work, but it keeps losing the signal. Sometimes the screen just flickers, sometimes the signal is totally lost for 1-3 seconds. Here's a video showing the problem:
The cable works fine with my fat PS2 (not modded). Any thoughts?
Thanks a lot!

NexusX

Astra Superstar
About the fan, is it easy to replace it? Any suggestion of places where I can buy a new one?

Yes it is easy to replace once you have the console apart. All you need to do is know the right fan dimensions and voltage to get a newer (and quiter) fan installed with a simple wire job. I think endpcnoise.com has a lot of options available, but you may have to look around the net for the right size. Should not be expensive though.

Last edited:

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Yes it is easy to replace once you have the console apart. All you need to do is know the right fan dimensions and voltage to get a newer (and quiter) fan installed with a simple wire job. I think endpcnoise.com has a lot of options available, but you may have to look around the net for the right size. Should not be expensive though.

You may be thinking of fat PS2s, which have a fan similar to a PC fan (75mm?). The slim PS2s have a very small centrifugal blower that appears to be custom for them (three small screws plus a plastic tab into the motherboard shielding).

NexusX

Astra Superstar
You may be thinking of fat PS2s, which have a fan similar to a PC fan (75mm?). The slim PS2s have a very small centrifugal blower that appears to be custom for them (three small screws plus a plastic tab into the motherboard shielding).

Last time I messed with the slim model fan was about 3 years ago for a friend. We ordered one off ebay. They were pretty plentiful then. The installation was pretty easy though.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,

You mean NexusX is posting nonsense? That's hard to believe. His posts are usually so accurate.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
You mean NexusX is posting nonsense? That's hard to believe. His posts are usually so accurate.

Until you have something of value (at least on topic) to post yourself mad dog... run along little doggy.

Last edited:

rodolfocm

Another Striker
Last time I messed with the slim model fan was about 3 years ago for a friend. We ordered one off ebay. They were pretty plentiful then. The installation was pretty easy though.

I've seen some at eBay, guess I will order from there. Still trying to solve the RGB problem though.

rodolfocm

Another Striker
Little bump...
Could the RGB problem be related to CSYNC? I bought my cable from retrogamingcables.co.uk and they are CSYNC (they come with a stripper built-in as far as I know). But it works well with the fat PS2...
Sorry if I'm saying any technical bullshit, I'm not very "tech-savvy" (even my english isn't that good lol).

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
If im not mistaken PS1 and PS2 do not output CSYNC unless modified internally so your assertion is correct. The cable must be taking Composite Video as Sync and using a sync stripper to output CSYNC/pure sync like you said.

With this in mind, you need to be mindful that most CSYNC and sync strippers output is TTL and if you're connecting to a 75 ohm input it needs to be properly attenuated via a resistor.

Connecting TTL level voltage sync to 75 ohm can have various problems such as not syncing or intermittent dropouts. Reading up on the retro console cables website he states the cable should be used on Extron Crosspoints and Pro monitors which points to it most likely being TTL level sync.

Framemeister sync input expects 75 ohms on the sync line. It is possible for your sync to not be 75 ohms and still work on it, but it varies on a console by console basis and even motherboard revisions. I would recommend you open up your scart cable and confirm the output of the sync line pin 20 is 75 ohms. Listed below is a good video on how to test it provided you have a multimeter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3sE3uk5kPU

Still kinda weird it works on your Fat PS2 but it is a different revision.

Last edited:

rodolfocm

Another Striker
If im not mistaken PS1 and PS2 do not output CSYNC unless modified internally so your assertion is correct. The cable must be taking Composite Video as Sync and using a sync stripper to output CSYNC/pure sync like you said.

With this in mind, you need to be mindful that most CSYNC and sync strippers output is TTL and if you're connecting to a 75 ohm input it needs to be properly attenuated via a resistor.

Connecting TTL level voltage sync to 75 ohm can have various problems such as not syncing or intermittent dropouts. Reading up on the retro console cables website he states the cable should be used on Extron Crosspoints and Pro monitors which points to it most likely being TTL level sync.

Framemeister sync input expects 75 ohms on the sync line. It is possible for your sync to not be 75 ohms and still work on it, but it varies on a console by console basis and even motherboard revisions. I would recommend you open up your scart cable and confirm the output of the sync line pin 20 is 75 ohms. Listed below is a good video on how to test it provided you have a multimeter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3sE3uk5kPU

Still kinda weird it works on your Fat PS2 but it is a different revision.

Thanks for the clarification. Well, I might as well buy a luma cable for it then. Any suggestions on a place where I can get a good JP21 quality cable? Thanks!

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
https://retro-access.com/collection...ese-rgb-21-jp-21-lead-ps1-ps2-cable-cord-lead

This should work. Just make sure to write in the notes that it is for a PS2 Slim, Luma Sync, and you want JP 21.

Add this to your cart if you want it to be fully shielded. Not really needed if you use sync on luma but just thought I would point it out as it can help in lossy setups.

https://retro-access.com/collection...o-coaxial-pro-cabling-saturn-genesis-snes-etc

Also on a related note, I don't think you need capacitors in a PS2 scart cable as they are built into the console unlike PS1. Not sure if she puts capacitors in but when I got mine from her I asked for them without.

Last edited: