MV1C Battery holder & cart slot modifications?

Whippy

Banned
I am new to MVS modifications, and as such I purchased a prebuilt unit. After a few months of ownership, I have a few things that I can do, and I do believe this board will work for me in the long run.

My first issue is that this model came without any battery or holder. I understand the reasoning on this, as the older batteries were soldered to the holder and would leak. I have since replaced the battery with a coin cell holder with wire because the posts are not the same size as the board, and honestly it looks like shit. I would love to obtain the OEM holder so I can modify my current holder to be the best of both worlds. Perhaps there is a guide I am missing for doing exactly what I want.

My other question involves altering the cart slot. Is there any 90 degree risers for this unit? I would love to reduce the amount of vertical space this unit takes up with a cart. Other units have this "feature" by default. Is is possible to re-purpose this connection? This is the least of my worries, but I would enjoy this fitting better under my tv with this sort of method.

Thanks for any tips/tricks/info

-W

NexusX

Astra Superstar
The coin cell holder isn't hard. A vertical battery holder is cheap and easy to get. $5 on the worst of days unless you have a bad vendor and an idiot. The rechargable 2032 may cost you about $5 or $7. Solder in the new holder and you are fine. As far as the 90 degree riser goes. There are none for the MV1C boards that I am aware of. You may want to look into a 1B or 1F for a low profile 1 slot board. A MV1B is about 50 bucks so not a huge investment.

Whippy

Banned
The coin cell holder isn't hard. A vertical battery holder is cheap and easy to get. $5 on the worst of days unless you have a bad vendor and an idiot. The rechargable 2032 may cost you about $5 or $7. Solder in the new holder and you are fine. As far as the 90 degree riser goes. There are none for the MV1C boards that I am aware of. You may want to look into a 1B or 1F for a low profile 1 slot board. A MV1B is about 50 bucks so not a huge investment.

Thanks for the response! I had found that a seller on the interwebs had a "Dreamcast battery replacement kit" with the rechargeable ML2032 & holder and it works great, but the connections on the holder are not the same as the MVS connections, and I had to solder wire to the contact points on the board to the legs on the holder. It works perfectly, but I don't like how it looks inside of a box I won't see for another few years (this is obsessive/compulsion). I think I paid $8 total for the "kit" which was just the battery and holder. From what I see, the original mv1c battery holder is unique to the board, and as such I would almost need to find someone with one laying around. I can't seem to find anyone with a supply of these, but did find instructions on how to modify a contemporary battery holder, adding the older style legs for a perfect fit and an ability to remove the battery without tedious soldering every 5 years.

When it comes to the 1b/1f is it possible to remove the riser and attach it to my board, or is there integrated electronics in that section? Getting a riser is not a priority, more of a pipe dream. I do think I will stick with my 1c for a bit. My only other issue with it is the bios chip, and I won't have an issue removing it and replacing with a universe bios. I do have a v3.3 on the stock bios, and I wish I knew how they did that, but I could quickly get a neobiosmasta and potentially one with the virtual memory card and go from there. I don't like knowing that Razoola most likely didn't get compensation for this unit's bios, but I also don't fully know what benefit the 4.0 would be over the 3.3 in my specific situation.

Is there a place on the net that sells parts for these older boards? would have no issue making something DIY, but I would like to see what I have to work with.

Many thanks!

-W

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
If you don't want a vertical-loading slot then don't stick with the 1C. That's what people like about it, and there are plenty of other horizontal-loading boards.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
The 1B is cheap, works with neo bios masta (including the VMC version), and side loads the cart with a low profile. From what you are saying what you are looking for in a board. The 1B seems to be a better fit for your situation.

Whippy

Banned
If you don't want a vertical-loading slot then don't stick with the 1C.
The 1B seems to be a better fit for your situation.
I agree that the 1B seems to be more my speed. I figure that next year I may move toward that purchase. I guess my next question would be if it is functionally identical to the 1c in regards to the "supergun" that is included in my c-box? Could I reuse the 2 custom daughterboards with it and have the same outputs?

NexusX

Astra Superstar
I guess my next question would be if it is functionally identical to the 1c in regards to the "supergun" that is included in my c-box? Could I reuse the 2 custom daughterboards with it and have the same outputs?

I haven't personally messed with those Cbox Units yet. But from what I've seen I think it's just a jamma connection for output, and most likely just a stereo mod to the board. 1B has the same Jamma edge and you can still Stereo Mod it as well. I think it may* fit in that enclosure without the top plate on. And I am unsure if the Cbox has a 5v sound mod already done to the board or if it converts it to 12v. My guess it already has a 5v mod to it. So you may have to do that mod as well.

Other than that I have not messed with the CBox enough to tell you any more.

Whippy

Banned
I am unsure if the Cbox has a 5v sound mod already done to the board or if it converts it to 12v. My guess it already has a 5v mod to it. So you may have to do that mod as well.
Thanks again for the great info! I know in the past the older "models" had mono sound. However, mine did have stereo sound so it may be something that was changed. I did notice that the power brick is a 12v unit.

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
AFAIK, the single slots batteries did not have an OEM holder per say, the battery was held by two little flexible steel "arms". Anything involving a holder was probably put there by someone else. As for your horizontal cart requirement, I would personally hold onto the board you have as a spare and a buy a cheap 1 slot with a horizontal cart slot. You would also easily find someone to swap with if you wanted to go down that route.

Whippy

Banned
AFAIK, the single slots batteries did not have an OEM holder per say, the battery was held by two little flexible steel "arms".

Exactly. This is a much better way to describe it than what I may have already. I want these pieces, or more specifically the positive terminal connection side. I would have no issue modifying an actual battery holder to use that steel as the connection point to my board. My issue is that I have not found a single holder that has the same "pattern" for the legs. There are 3 total legs. the 2 on the positive side are further apart than every holder I have found. I also am not beyond asking for a picture so I can cut one myself. I just HATE the job I did affixing the battery holder. It works, and is very functional but I want better.

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
d0OG9dL.jpg

Top is from a 1 sot, bottom from a 6 slot. Any of these pieces any use to ya I can pop them in an envelope for ya FOC.

Whippy

Banned
Top is from a 1 sot, bottom from a 6 slot. Any of these pieces any use to ya I can pop them in an envelope for ya FOC.

That is EXACTLY the piece I am looking for. I can craft something from copper sheeting and integrate/mod it into my current battery holder just based on that photo. Many thanks. Finding a photo of something like that has been somewhat fleeting. Many thanks!

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Just use the vert one I used in my tutorial on JNX.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
I happen to be sent a MVS battery replacement kit that uses a custom PCB. It is made for the 1B and 1C.
It lets you mount it vertical or horizontal. Takes 2032 battery size coin cells.

Here are some pics of the kit.
https://imgur.com/a/4c3AkpA

Last edited: