*UPDATED* NeoGeo proto screenshots

maldoror68

n00b
Definitely looks like there putting forth a genuine effort to try & make this possible. Could Jeff or Raz please look at that link & chime in here to tell us what they think?

After all, this is exactly how the abandoned & sleeping Crossed Swords 2 project got revisited & brought back to life.

hi guys, and greeting from france.

yup the music4zintrick project is a little stalled for now. :help:

the audio tracks were ripped and cut from the neocd.

but actually we don't have :
- the dev-tools to go in-deep in the adpcm a & b of the neo geo.
- the offsets are probably founded but we aren't sure how exacly they work and how to reprogramm them so they'll play the wanted music in V & M

we played a lot with mvstracker (the only tool we found a.t.m ), the tool can make a playable rom, but is too "rough" so we hoping new tools this year (hoot, pcm to wav, neo-jukebox, future freem's tools maybe ? :drool:) (see this page)
http://www.ajworld.net/neogeodev/ideal_tools.html

but there's an archive at the end of the post , feel free to download it (work in progress test rom working in mame, cutted tracks & stuff)
the link is here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/05ecy2hh38mjgt3/music 4 zintrick.zip?dl=0

and here is a google translated french-to-english copy of the original topic:
https://translate.google.com/transl...-system.com/t2072-music-4-zintrick&edit-text=

;)

(and if you read this Razoola ;) thanks for all you had done for now...and maybe in the future .... :eye: )

and sorry for the bad english.

Last edited:

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
I've been following the progress as well. It's very promising. Thanks to everybody who's working on this project. It will eventually bare fruit. Very exciting.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I had a quick look at the M ROM yesterday and its the same situation as CS2 for Zintrick. The music tracker data all looks to be there and you can get the driver to play the synth parts of the stored music. Because all the samples are missing however the tunes do not sound at all correct.

Raz

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I put a little gift in the French thread for them that may give them some ideas.

Last edited:

maldoror68

n00b
thanks razoola ! :buttrock: it's ,not a gift, it's christmas time ! :D

how did you find the offset in the M rom ? i was desperately searching for them :confused:.
do you ads your own code ? or you took the existent offsets and readressed them ?

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I put the altered ROM in a link on your forum for a while, its gone now. I simply changed the codes to stop the z80 requesting cd audio and then match the tracks I could with the CD version...

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I added some simple percussion samples, video plays through all the tunes I found at present.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
I put the altered ROM in a link on your forum for a while, its gone now. I simply changed the codes to stop the z80 requesting cd audio and then match the tracks I could with the CD version...

I don't quite understand what I'm listening to though?
The music that's playing; was that always embedded in the rom files and you simply modified the rom set to access it properly? Or did you get it from the CD (or elsewhere) and add it? I'm just totally confused here.

Nice camera work too Raz. Looks like you had a sugar rush going there!

So, I guess you pretty much put this on a silver platter for them? Can they (the French) find the remaining tracks & finish the rest from here on their own?

I'm gonna go test it out on my own console now and see for myself because there's just no way it could have been this easy all along? I mean, did technology or the tools at your disposal improve in the last decade, because if not, what made this so difficult to have just done it long ago?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Yes the tracker data is there but disabled (in the Z80 files on the cd disk). Using the altered M rom I did the other day would get you music but the trigger codes are different than you see in the 2nd video. The codes are in the same region though, so 0xFC04 for example should allow you to hear something. There will be none of the drum sounds though, I just added ripped samples to make sure the driver was triggering samples correctly.

Its not an easy thing to do by any means, given the work I did on CS2 however, I now have a basic insight of how the driver stores sample offsets within the M ROM. The difference with this compared to CS2 is Zintrick uses much more synth generated sounds.

Last edited:

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Yes the tracker data is there but disabled (in the Z80 files on the cd disk). Using the altered M rom I did the other day would get you music but the trigger codes are different than you see in the 2nd video. The codes are in the same region though, so 0xFC04 for example should allow you to hear something. There will be none of the drum sounds though, I just added ripped samples to make sure the driver was triggering samples correctly.

Its not an easy thing to do by any means, given the work I did on CS2 however, I now have a basic insight of how the driver stores sample offsets within the M ROM. The difference with this compared to CS2 is Zintrick uses much more synth generated sounds.

That's part of what has thrown me off here. It doesn't really sound like typical neogeo music; more specifically, ADK style music. It almost sounds like those Casio Keyboard devices. I then went to hear the CD music, to compare, and that was also confusing because the music just doesn't sound anything like what a typical puzzle game would use for music.

What an odd game indeed.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Very impressive stuff! So it seems that they had the intention to release PCM / synth music at some point, and then made changes to use CD audio, and as a result the 'tracker' code is still built into the ROM? And by hacking samples in there you can play those tracks??? So what we are hearing is official music?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Yes that's right, note that the percussion sounds I added are not official, I just added those to test. I looed a little more today and got percussion sounds added to a couple of the other tracks. For some reason however I cannot find all the audio tracks. Either there is something stopping them from playing that I have not discovered, only half the needed M ROM was in the CD version or not all the tracks were completed.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Still that's an impressive discovery! Maybe with time we might be able to use the tracks that do work, which will be incredible!!! Well done, you're one smart cookie!

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I think I can now confirm that the tracker data for some tracks was removed (for whatever reason) before the data was compiled. 8 tracks/jingles are missing.

maldoror68

n00b
Hello again all,

found something that may interest you Raz,

HPman made research in the same way (about the sound code)

it's not on zintrcick but on CS2 ;)

here is the video on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10M6fFoexGg

>Hpman; Restored CS2 chiptune. Samples data is missing so this is the FM part only.

Salvaged from CD version sound driver.

looked about the M1 sample you send to me raz ,very very interesting , the 0x code is the way-to-do-it :)

interresting result with the percussions in zintrick. :buttrock: can't wait to go on. i'm going back tstuddy the offsets :smirk:

strange for the removed tracks,
maybe ADK just done a "simple" port from the zintrick (probably cartidge) proto to the neo cd in 1996 ,and the sales forecast for the neo cd didn't uses too much programming hours (and money)? and they needed at this time to move on another project ?

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I know this, I did the same thing also with CS2 but it uses far more samples than zintrick

ne7

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
Hey Raz,

Quick heads up just in case you don't know; if it's samples you need for this sort of thing - try auditioning the sound set from the Roland sound canvas sc88 module (it incorporates loads of sounds from various v. popular external tone generators by Roland over the years) it's quite surprising but often with Japanese sample based VGM the sounds for a lot of tunes are taken directly from these units - it was certainly the case for the super famicom back in the day :) at the very least you might find some close approximations in there!

There's even a ipad/iphone port of the module in the apple store too which allows you to audition sounds...

cheers \o_

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Yes that's an idea. The other option is to compare the CD audio with other ADK games on the system and look for the same samples. If found, take the sample from the MVS version's V ROMs.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
That's actually a really smart idea. Those samples may already exist in some other ADK game!

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
never heard of these games before, but that Last Odyssey looks interesting. the neo really did need a pinball game.