Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Code:
WHATS NEW IN VERSION 1.3
------------------------

AES support (nuff said).

some AES notes.....

Region settings are saved to the memory card, however if no card is available on
    power up the system will default to EURO / CONSOLE operation.
  To do a hardware check hold buttons A+B+D during power up this will keep the system
    looping through a hardware check until all buttons are released.
  When in ARCADE mode devmode is enabled and cannot be disabled.
  There is no attract mode sound for some games in MVS mode. This is beacuse they
    read the demo sound soft dip from backupram (which the aes dosnt have)
    instead of the adjescent RAM location (this problem exists on the DEBUG bios also).
  Some early games (nam75 for example) will have currupted 'how to play' screens.
    This is because the AES does not have the needed character font the MVS has.
  When in USA mode some games will have a currupted 'winners dont use drugs' screen.
    This is because the AES does not have the needed character font the MVS has.
  The Test Mode menu is not availabe for use.

Additions

The NeoGeo/ProGear logo now displays only once at the beginning when in console mode
    to match bios on AES.
  New entry method to access the in game menu, START+A+B+C. Old access methods are
    still usable.
  Ability to abort the game cart crc check while its calculating. 
  Ability to exit from slot selection screen (multislot hardware only).
  Enabled the AES controller test, access via holding player 2 A+B+C+D during power on or
    splash screen.
  68000 exception handling. Instead of games reseting they will stop and the current 68000
    status will be displayed.
  Simple memory/vram viewer that can be accesses from the hardware error screen.

Changes

Exiting the jukebox or crc check on multislot HW now restores the initially used font.
  Added a shadow to bring out the NeoGeo logo in the splash screen and main menu.
  Made the Red color used in the Splash Screen and main menu a little darker.
  Improved the hardware check so you only see a couple of flashes on screen at power on
    instead of lots of green garbage.
  Improved the hardware error screens to make them look nicer but I'm sure you will never
    want to see these.
  Changed the test mode hardware test so that the test memory card section no longer looses
    any data on the card. This problem affected the original BIOS also.
  Changed some very bad English in the card manager including one point where the word 'no'
    should actually be 'yes' when it comes to confirming data delete. This problem affected
    the original BIOS also.

Fixes

Fixed an issue that caused some hardware error messages appear darker or distorted.
  Fixed the 'gameselect' option being lost the first time the UNIVERSE BIOS is used on
    multislot hardware.
  Fixed button (A) not responding when trying to continue from failed HW check when using
    a joypad.
  Fixed credits from 2nd coin shoot not showing but still registering in VS-MODE when the
    game dosent support it.
  Fixed the select buttons not registering in the testmode input test when in console mode.
  Fixed testmode input test so that the input crossing feature does not take effect while
    testing buttons. 
  Fixed a problem in the memory card manager that stoped the letter 'o' visually showing when
    selecting a card name. This problem affected the original BIOS also.
  Fixed a clicking sound that sometimes happened during boot if the hardware check was disabled.
  Fixed a soft dip issue that could cause confusion (because we force softdips to display in
    English). Basically in some games the language softdip setting is different depending on
    region. For example the kof games default language now reads 'Japanese' instead of 'English'
    when in Japanese mode. There could be issues like this in other games too, if you find any
    please let me know.

Game Fixes

Fixed Sengoku 3 language not changing when swapping region in arcade mode.
  Fixed many menu problems in the official kof2001 mvs cart when in console
    mode (there are still problems though). 
  Fixed a Matrimelee font problem in menus on multislot hardware and in the
    jukebox / crc check on slot1 hardware.
  Fixed Pochi and Nyaa sound distortion in the jukebox if the game is not
    allowed to run first.
  Fixed missing font in crc check, jukebox, and ingame menu for KOF2003.

New and Updated Cheats

SNK vs Capcom
  Samurai Shodown 5
  Metal Slug 5
  King of Fighters 2003
  Pochi and Nyaa
  Zintrick
  Samurai Shodown 2

New original/hacked game CRC's to database

SNK vs Capcom
  SNK vs Capcom (bootleg cart)
  Samurai Shodown 5
  Metal Slug 5 (MVS and AES)
  Pochi and Nyaa
  King of Fighters 1997 Plus
  King of Fighters 2001 (alternate set)
  King of Fighters 2002 Plus
  Metal slug 4 Plus
  Metal slug 5 Plus
  SNK Vs Capcom Plus
  SNK Vs Capcom Super Plus
  King of Fighters 2003 (MVS and AES)
  King of Fighters 2003 (bootleg cart)
  Top Hunter: Roddy & Cathy (set 2)

Not much more I can say here apart from everything should be fine. So much has changed that the odd bug could have been missed so feedback needed please. Would it be possibe to sticky this thread for a while for feedback and non sticky the other one?

Also note, I am unable to update the homepage at present due to a server upgrade but HPMAN has been kind enough to host it in the mean time at http://perso.wanadoo.fr/hpman/unibios/uni-bios-13.zip

BIG THANKS TO ALL BETA TESTERS (you know who you all are).

Raz

Last edited:

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
I've just downloaded it and I'll have it installed tomorrow, I'll give you some feedback. Thanks and keep the good work! :buttrock:

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
Simply awesome!

I can't wait to get home and burn a new EPROM!

If you need another host for the BIOS, I have space.

Chicago Cheeseburgler Crew

BANNED , Banned , Here's why
10 Year Member
Bishamon said:
Simply awesome!

I can't wait to get home and burn a new EPROM!

If you need another host for the BIOS, I have space.

Would you be willing to burn me one? How much would you charge.? I need some SS5 support, 1.2 isn't gonna cut it anymore. :D

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
buttasuperb said:
Would you be willing to burn me one? How much would you charge.? I need some SS5 support, 1.2 isn't gonna cut it anymore. :D

As you originally got v1.2 for me, you are entitled to an upgrade, you simply need to send me back the chip with 5 euros and I will upgrade it for you. PM me for more info.

Raz

Last edited:

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Raz, I have a friend that installed the debug bios in his AES, I think he put a socket, and now wants to try unibios 1.3. He's told me that he needed to make a bridge and put a resistor in the debug bios. Is this needed in the unibios? Or can you just plug there a 27c1024 40 pin EEPROM just like in MVS (provided you have a socket of course)?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Amano Jacu said:
Raz, I have a friend that installed the debug bios in his AES, I think he put a socket, and now wants to try unibios 1.3. He's told me that he needed to make a bridge and put a resistor in the debug bios. Is this needed in the unibios? Or can you just plug there a 27c1024 40 pin EEPROM just like in MVS (provided you have a socket of course)?

If it is in a socket he can simply take the old chip out and put the new in. If he is piggy backing I advise he stop that and fit a socket. However you can still piggyback if you really want to by using the same method as the debug bios.

Raz

BlackSpy

Tsrgoihrea,
20 Year Member
Great work Razoola, and people thing Nokia is Finland's technology success story.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Like i said before, Raz should win the nobel peace prize.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Just a quick question...

If I go to put one of these in a MV1-C, the pin assignments are the same right?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Great news Raz! I'll be contacting you shortly about upgrading from 1.2 to 1.3!

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
I have it running now! WICKED!!!

:buttrock:

I wrecked three chips (well, since I don't have an eraser ;)) before I realised that the tWP setting had to be reduced from the default 140 uS to around 100 uS. I don't even know what those settings mean; something to do with timing?

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Woo, you added in my suggestion for the memory card!!

And with my Dipswitch 8 non-functioning, I need this more than ever. I'll be sure to buy this when I have money (should be soon...).

(now if only you could add my "suspend mode" which would be useful for those using their MVSs in an arcade cabinet, but like you said it's impossible :) )

Raz, this is seriously great!

Adam Gallant

King's Dry Cleaner
Gotta scrape up the 8 bucks or so to have mine re-burned... good thing I kept my old BIOS kicking around so I can still play my games :) Can't wait to try it!

-AG

kafuin_gaira

Viewpoint Vigilante
i will be ordering 1 and upgrading 1 very shortly. i was hoping you might wait until sam5 special was out, but hey i guess i'm good for another upgrade down the road :D

thanks as always for your kickass work!

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
norton9478 said:
Just a quick question...

If I go to put one of these in a MV1-C, the pin assignments are the same right?

Yes they are the same.

Raz

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
OK, I have it installed in my MV1A and I've tried 4 games, all work OK. Actually I haven't noted much differences over the previous versions, but that's because I don't have any of the new games supported.

By the way, I have a Samurai Shodown 4 cart that used to work well, but lately it always shows some garbled sprites. I cleaned it well but still has this trouble. I've done the CRC check and it shows OK in all banks. Any idea what could cause this?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Amano Jacu said:
By the way, I have a Samurai Shodown 4 cart that used to work well, but lately it always shows some garbled sprites. I cleaned it well but still has this trouble. I've done the CRC check and it shows OK in all banks. Any idea what could cause this?

Im not sure, would really need to see some screenshots of the problem first.

Raz

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Oh well, I'll try to make some pics of the trouble when I got a chance, thanks for your help.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Amano Jacu said:
Oh well, I'll try to make some pics of the trouble when I got a chance, thanks for your help.

You could try waiting for the curruption to happen and then go into the ingame menu while its on screen. If the curruption is changing or flickering while in that menu then I think there is certinally a problem with either the connections or the cart.

Raz