I just got my Atomiswave! Pics and review inside

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
First of all, if somebody thinks this doesn't belong to this forum just move it to Unrelated.

OK, last week, when the new SNK games were announced for the Atomiswave, and I saw tha the prices for it weren't outrageous, plus it is very easy to use at home, I decided to buy an Atomiswave. I contacted cosmicco , where I use to buy MVS carts and regular arcade boards, and they had one with Demolish Fist in stock for 368$ (assumed second hand). Since it was considerable cheaper than coinopexpress , and I had never dealt with them, I decided to order it from Cosmicco quickly before it was sold to somebody else. Shipping via EMS to Spain was only 41$ (I asked coinopexpress and shipping via EMS was 58$ for them). Now the € is very strong against the $, so I think I had a fair price.

I must say that none of the current games were very appealing to me, but I am more interested in the future ones, so I bought it now in case its price increased. And also because it was my Birthday ;). On the end, if I finish not liking it I'll just sell it.
So I decided to buy Demolish Fist because it was the cheapest game (plus it was the only one available at Cosmicco).

It came, as it was second hand, without any box, just the motherboard with the cart inserted, a poster of the game, and the manual of the game in Spanish, Korean and Japanese. I am very pissed that it doesn't have the motherboard manual. Oh well.

So here it is. It is quite small, around the same size of my small MVS board, the MV1-A, as you can see in this pic:

5.jpg

But it weights more, 1.5 kg, basically because of the metal panel in the bottom. The game cart is very tiny and light, only 100 g, and is similar in size to a n64 cart:

6.jpg

As for the connections, there's the JAMMA harness, 2 dip switches, a volume control, a serial port (fot the modem I believe), a connector for stereo sound (which I don't know how to use yet) and the VGA port. There are also 2 pieces of plastic that can be removed like the cart, one for other peripherals (guns, steering wheel, etc.) and the other for communications.

7.jpg

DIP switch number 1 is for selecting standar res or hi res. 2 is for accessing the configuration screen.

First of all let's use standar res.

I use my supergun with RGB output in my TV through scart RGB. Here's what I saw:

2.jpg

Sound got outputted through the JAMMA harness in mono format to my speakers.

Now I set the DIP to hi-res. Here's what I could see in my TV through RGB scart from the JAMMA harness:

3.jpg

The screen is doubled, so I switched it off.
OK, so now let's try the VGA output into my VGA LCD monitor:

4.jpg

The image looked much better than in my TV. Here you can see it actually is 31 khz, 640x480:

8.jpg

On a side note, the AW has a fan that makes quite a lot of noise, not as bad as a CPS2, but still is pretty annoying.

About the game itself, well, I found it to be an average beat'em-up. Not bad, but not really good either. I guess it'll be funnier when I play it with somebody else. As I said I got this game because it was the cheapest. I heard the best game right now is Knights of Valor but it was too expensive. I didn't heard many good references for Dolphin Blue and it was also considerably more expensive. The other one is Guilty Gear X 1.5 but I already have XX on Ps2.

That's it for now. If you have any question about it just ask.

Last edited:

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
I'm in the USA.

How easy is it to just hook up to a supergun and play?

Just plug and play?

I would be using it on a TV, so i would get low res i'm assuming...

winter

King's Dry Cleaner
Besides obviously the motherboard and a game, what other devices would I need to hook it up to my TV like you did?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
winter said:
Besides obviously the motherboard and a game, what other devices would I need to hook it up to my TV like you did?

You would need a supergun/jamma test rig.

Amano, thanks for the great pics. I've been wondering how big the system actually was and your pics are great. Have you tried to hook the AW up to a non-LCD monitor? I've heard the signal was to weak for standard pc monitors.

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Congratulations on your new system.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Congrats!!

Wow!..I didn't know the Carts were so small.
Thanks for taking a picture of that etc..

MrLonghair

Morden's Lackey
Since JAMMA and JVS and every other arcade standard outputs RGB you'll need an RGB-NTSC converter, or an RGB capable monitor, which is preferable, since the beautiful RGB wont get converted down

One of those converters is known as a JRok, it's around $90, and that's all I know, a search will provide more :P

Kickass writeup, never knew Cosmicco had such good prices (dont care about it being used, not having marquee etc), if I only make a few more pcb-sales I may get it before the third quarter

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
Very nice pics. Thanks man, and enjoy it!
BTW, is the game any good? I haven't tried it myself...

[OCEAN]

Sundance

Sho's Rival
Wow...thanx for the pix and info. Now we know what to expect and what to look for. I did have one question though (for anyone who might know). I have a MVS 4 slot cab. Is the AW just plug n play via the Jamma Harness or would i have to get something additional to plug it into the Cab?

kafuin_gaira

Viewpoint Vigilante
just got mine today with dolphin blue. barely had time to unopen the box before work, but i'll post up more when i get home and have time to play with it :D

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
kafuin_gaira said:
just got mine today with dolphin blue. barely had time to unopen the box before work, but i'll post up more when i get home and have time to play with it :D

Where did you get yours from? I'm picking one of these puppies up next....curious the best place/price

thanks

pixeljunkie

Curt

apostate
Cool

I won't pick up one until I absolutely have to.. IE a GREAT snk game.... I wont settle for subpar

Infamous Lunchbox

New Challenger
I am also curious if it is just plug and play with the Jamma harness, cause if it is I am going to get one for one of my cabs.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
What's up with you guys? I'm going to get mine with GGX... the only real game that excites me before SNK hits that shit.

Yeah, where *else* besides coinopexpress are you going here?

Spike

scooby105

Kula's Candy
whats gonna happen when snkp does release games for this though?
are you going to get stuck with an extra motherboard?
hasnt the trend this far for atomiswave been to do the combo board and game together? or have places been selling just the games?
i just thought i remember that its pretty much just been the combo thus far

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
wow that shit looks insane, nice to know you can get a kickass picture on VGA! no more crappy svideo conversion. if that stereo out works, this could be like a damn console.

i'm amazed at how small the carts are too, i thought they would be like cps2 sized.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Looks very interesting. I may have to consider getting one in the future after I see some SNKP games released.

GAMEFAN

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
carts are sooooooo tiny. I'll prolly pick one up in the fall once I see where SNKP is headed. I'm not enough of a fan of GG to get it for that. I have XX #Reload on import PS2 already, so that's enough GG for me.

NEOFREAK9189

Sakura's Bank Manager
20 Year Member
Congratulations on your new system {te felicitaciones por tu nuevo systema}

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
NEOFREAK9189 said:
Congratulations on your new system {te felicitaciones por tu nuevo systema}

"Felicitaciones por tu nuevo sistema"

tbogard99

New Challenger
This post got me excited so I just ordered myself a new Atomiswave with Guilty Gear X 1.5 from coinopexpress. I can't wait for it to get here and now I really cant wait for KOF: NW now!

FI0RIAN

Rugal's Thug
hi , i have only a neogeo aes and i dont really understand how does cab fonctions :p do you somewhere where all is exlplained?
thx