Metal Slug 5 on Phantom 1 to AES?

whit

New Challenger
Im having problems. Did anyone get this to work. My phantom is the later blue model and works on all my other MVS carts. Any comments? Suggestions? Thanks.

Tiptonium

Tech Support Moderator,
Metal Slug 5 is crashing for me as well. I've got the blue Phantom-1... It crashes in demo mode as well as during the game like shown below:

slug5phantom1.jpg

Note, the system I was using has a debug chip installed.

Nash

Fu'un-Ken Master
this isn't very good news. i hope i'll be able to afford a consolized 2-slot before i pick up metal slug 5.

whit

New Challenger
Thats the error!

That is the same error I get. At least that means our MVS carts are not at fault. Ive got two JAMMA cabs but neither of them hanve and MVS board so I cant try it in those till I get an MVS jamma board. The game looks absolutely amazing to a Metal Slug freak like myself. Thanks for the follow up Tiptonium

wht

Tiptonium

Tech Support Moderator,
Metal Slug 5 works flawlessly with my MV-1C board. The Metal Slug 5 cart is fine.

Nash

Fu'un-Ken Master
anyone willing to send me a copy of metal slug 5 to test on my green phantom-1? i'll pay for shipping both ways.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Try adjusting the Phantom while your unit is on. Before you turn on your unit,sit it firmly in the slot like you normally do and turn it on.Okay,hold the right side of the Phantom-1(the memory card side of your unit) in place while adjusting the the left side upward out as far as you can without breaking the connection.
I'm not clear as to whether your game is locking up not allowing you to play but give this a try when that code pops up on the screen and see what it yields. If it clears up,leave it in the diagonal position and hit reset.
-BB

Talen

Leona's Therapis,
You have a debug bios installed from the look of it, tip. Slug seems to crash more in debug mode than it does in normal. Have you tried a system without a debug, or switching the debug to normal home or mvs mode on boot and playing it that way?

Tiptonium

Tech Support Moderator,
I intend to retest later tonight using a system that has not been modified in any way. I've got the thing stored away at the moment but will remove it from its protectic cacoon in order to perform the test.

whit

New Challenger
I dont think the Debug Chip is the cause.

Has anyone had it working successfully? The error is a registery dump ( 'programming jargon' ) which doesn't lead me to believe it has anything to do with the debug chip. I could be wrong. I will try it tonight on my unmodded system as well. But I say again has anyone gotten Metal Slug 5 MVS to work on the AES via the blue Phantom-1 convertor?

Thanks, whit

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
sorry people but metal slug 5 mvs (original cart) uses a new protection scheme in the way you select the games cpu banks. Probably the current phantoms cant handle this which cause these problems to happen. Its really not your carts at fault I think.

Raz

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Oh well, this is indeed bad news for AES Phantom users, I'm glad I'm using a real MVS board (although some new games still give trouble in some boards, fortunately enough not mine).

I would put this info in News & Rumors, there's a lot of people who would like to know this and barely enter this Tech forum (only when they have a problem and want somebody to help them).

whit

New Challenger
Non Debug Chip system no go either

Tried the cart out on my non debug chip system and now the game just resets part of the way into the title screen. Never even gets to the demo screen. I couldn't wait for the AES being a Metal Slug freak and had to get the MVS cart with only 2 months to wait for the AES version. Oh well I have a nice complete kit and a Capcom jamma cab. I just need to get an MVS board for it. If anyone gets MS5 to work on the Phantom-1 gives us all a heads up. Thanks.

BarfHappy

NAM-75 Vet
sorry people but metal slug 5 mvs (original cart) uses a new protection scheme in the way you select the games cpu banks. Probably the current phantoms cant handle this which cause these problems to happen. Its really not your carts at fault I think.

Raz

new banking... that protection won t last long...

btw, suomi rulez~ :)

Decepticon

Mizuki's Demon
BarfHappy said:
new banking... that protection won t last long...

btw, suomi rulez~ :)

Correction...it didn't last long. The game is already dumped and duped all over the place.

BarfHappy

NAM-75 Vet
well it seems the game is using some banking voluntarily (is that english) incompatible with phantom...
it may work with emus once decrypted but does not on console via the adapter.
what i meant was: someone will soon patch the game to use standard banking setup :)

Tiptonium

Tech Support Moderator,
Update...

Like whit'a experience, my non-modded Neo Geo console will not work with Metal Slug 5 and the Phantom-1. The game will reboot at the title, right after the selection screen or just as the first level loads. Kind of odd that it does not boot at the exact same place each time. I then proceeded to play several otehr MVS games through the converter with no problems whatsoever. Clearly, there has been a change to the Slug 5's boards that causes the thing to not work with the Phantom-1.

Home console players just be patient and pick up the home release in February! That or get an MVS setup now!

HPMAN

UI resident
Hey Tip, could you post a pic of the program PCB ?

I think it may be the MVS counterpart of the (new) SVC home PCB :

svc_Af.jpg

That would lend us to think MVS cart SVC (if available anyday) won't work either on phantom.

Chicago Cheeseburgler Crew

BANNED , Banned , Here's why
10 Year Member
Interesting.

SS5 worked great with a phantom, but not with my MV-1.

I guess it figures that SS5 didn't get any new protection crap (pointless anyways) considering it's not advertised at all on any of SNK's official sites. :spock:

Seems to be the bastard game.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
If SVC is to use the same new protection system they will need to recompile the entire game to fit it in. It works by writing to the bank port every vblank. If it is not written the banks fill with garbage causing the game to crash.

Raz

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Please someone update the Master List with the correct NGH, as the list is uncorrectly marking Slug5 as NGH271.

Also, as the Master List is now showing even all hack carts or non-NGH carts, shouldn't we add also those 'PuriKura' MVS carts (called 'Neo Print' or something, there are at least three of them IIRC) which our friend Sgrunger was selling on eBay a little time ago?

whit

New Challenger
caroles-collectibles ebay auctions state it works!

I quote:

"This auction is for Metal Slug 5 MVS Cart with marquee for use with Neo Geo Arcade system or Neo Geo Home System using a Phantom 1 Adapter.The graphics are totally new and there are a ton of new vehicles and weapons.THIS IS THE BEST METAL SLUG EVER!!!!!There were 2 versions relased by SNK a Jamma PCB and MVS cart.This game was only released within the past week this will be a huge money maker for your arcade or route. More info can be found here at snkneogeousa web site Game has been tested and works 100%.Payment by paypal Or money order only.Shipping will be 18.50 Insured IN US.Shipping outside US varies.Payment must be received within 10 days at end of auction.item is sold as is when it leave my house "

I emailed him on it and he said he has tested it on the Phantom-1 and it works. For that matter I emailed Shawn about it and he said it worked. I didn't buy it from Shawn because he wanted $369.00 and I found it cheaper at just as reputeable a dealer. Can any board members verify it works or doesn't work?

whit

New Challenger
Same error

Tiptonium and I appear to have the same exact error. He has verified his cart works on a regular MVS setup indicating the carts not bad but running it on a Phantom-1 ( blue ) to AES doesn't work. We get the same error on modded AES with debug and an AES without the debug. Why does Shawn and this guy 'caroles-collectible' think that it works?

Tiptonium

Tech Support Moderator,
I should be getting another Neo Geo any day now. I'll test again on that one. So far I've failed to get the thing to work on two different consoles with the Phantom-1.