Doubt about Neo Cd spines

Pep

Genjuro's Frog
20 Year Member
This is becoming more a Cd forum than anything else, so let me ask you something I am curious about neo cd spines:

If you check the spine cards of the neo geo cd releases you will note that some are printed in color (black letters) and others, apparently the ones of the earlier releases, are printed in silver and white, so when the color spines started to be printed?

Thanks.

Bluevoodu

Kyokugen's Student
I am not sure of the 1st title to get a color spine.....

BUT..... I think it was around 1996... and... maybe Metal Slug was one of the 1st... I forget now... wasn't that one color?

†B†V†

Pep

Genjuro's Frog
20 Year Member
Metal Slug has a color spine, yes.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
The oldest CD game I have with spine card is the US version of King of the Monsters 2 (1994), it shows a color screen shot of the game. The layout is the usual one of most spine cards, two black borders, one with the game title in silver letters with a red shadow, the other with the white Neo Geo logo, the "reproduction prohibited" sign and the barcode, then the white spine itself with the game title in black letters and a yellow/blue/black CD logo and the obligatory SNK logo, and finally a silver area with the Neo Geo CD signet. The color screenshot covers the lower part of the black and silver area.

What games have these b/w spine cards?

Bluevoodu

Kyokugen's Student
Takumaji:
The oldest CD game I have with spine card is the US version of King of the Monsters 2 (1994), it shows a color screen shot of the game. The layout is the usual one of most spine cards, two black borders, one with the game title in silver letters with a red shadow, the other with the white Neo Geo logo, the "reproduction prohibited" sign and the barcode, then the white spine itself with the game title in black letters and a yellow/blue/black CD logo and the obligatory SNK logo, and finally a silver area with the Neo Geo CD signet. The color screenshot covers the lower part of the black and silver area.

What games have these b/w spine cards?
that is the standard, isn't it?

I thought everything that was not "fully color" or had a "unique spine" had what you are describing.
.. maybe I am wrong, but every neo spine I have seen (other than the unique colored ones) are what you are talking about.

Pep

Genjuro's Frog
20 Year Member
May be I did not explain myself right, sorry. The part of the spine card that could have silver or black letters is it’s spine, in other words, the letters that you read when the cd is stored on your shelf.

<small>[ September 11, 2003, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: Pep ]</small>

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Pep:
May be I did not explain myself right, sorry. The part of the spine card that could have silver or black letters is it’s spine, in other words, the letters that you read when the cd is stored on your shelf.
Ah, okay, now I see. Well, Most (all?) of the earlier (pre-95/96) Japanese CDs have a b/w spine, while AFAIK, the US versions always come at least with a three-color spine, the company logos are blue or in their respective color/design (ADK with the red triangle, etc.).