CDZ or CD System, which one????

neogeofl

Lurker, ,
I have a NGCD Top-Loader System and am getting a CDZ System (both boxed and both mint). My questions are: Which one is more reliable? Which one would you want if you had your choice?

Thanks!

ThePunisher

SouthTown StreetSweeper
although I dont own either (why am i here spock ) Id say go with the normal cd as the cdz is harder to find and more expensive. Plus the CDZ isnt even supposed to be that much faster...or so ive heard.

Nomax

Kula's Candy
although I dont own either (why am i here [Spock] ) Id say go with the normal cd as the cdz is harder to find and more expensive. Plus the CDZ isnt even supposed to be that much faster...or so ive heard.
Well, I've heard this too but if you check this page:
<a href="http://www.neogeocd.com/loadtimes.htm" target="_blank">http://www.neogeocd.com/loadtimes.htm</a> , CDZ seems to have very reduced load times... eye

BenimaruN

Overtop Pathfinder
neogeofl:
I have a NGCD Top-Loader System and am getting a CDZ System (both boxed and both mint). My questions are: Which one is more reliable? Which one would you want if you had your choice?

Thanks!
if i had a choice i'd take the cdz in a heartbeat. much faster, according to the link provided by nomax, AND it looks hell of alot cooler. as for reliability, i'd imagine it is as reliable as any other old school cd based console. treat it right, it'll treat you right. for this reason i'd recomend a step down converter JUST IN CASE. i've used one to power my neo cd (jap top loader) for years, never had any problems.

<small>[ June 12, 2003, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: BenimaruN ]</small>

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
The CDZ is more compact, and has more memory. This alleviates load times on a lot of the older games. If you want to play fighters and the later shooters, you won't notice a huge difference. You'll pay around $100 more too in most cases.

There have been many accounts of CDZ systems overheating. Keep that in mind when buying one. The condition is more important than the type of unit I have found. If you can buy a one-owner system that has been taken care of, there is much less chance of getting one that's failure-prone. The less play time on the unit, the better for you.

Then again, most CD collectors end up with both units in the end. :)

<small>[ June 12, 2003, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: Ghost-Dog ]</small>

I have all 3, and I prefer the CDZ.

The top loader is more durable feeling. The CDZ is faster and smaller. The front loader is just damn cool and rivals my Xbox with its size.

B

<small>[ June 12, 2003, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: brentsg ]</small>

nigeronpa

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I find my CDZ a lot faster with most games, Feels a lot more of a solid machine too!

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
From my expereice, on average, CDZ was only about 1.5X faster than the regular CD system. Also, note that a CDZ is less sturdy than a reg Cd--watch out for those dreaded I/O errors.

In short, CDZ is more reliable in that it is faster (though not all that fast).

And the cd system is more realiable in way of durability.

neogeofl

Lurker, ,
Master Terry Bogard:
From my expereice, on average, CDZ was only about 1.5X faster than the regular CD system. Also, note that a CDZ is less sturdy than a reg Cd--watch out for those dreaded I/O errors.

I always got those dreaded I/O Errors on my previous 2 CDZ Systems. And one of them was Brand New that I bought back in April 1996 at Game Express in NYC. Games would load (most notebly Real Bout Fatal Fury) and get to 75% and then "BAM" the I/O Error. That sucked.

twalden

Leona's Therapist
20 Year Member
I have all three and prefer the CDZ. I like its compact size and it is noticably faster than a regular CD system. My first CDZ system that I bought used from a local game store back in 97, died after 4 years of use. It would no longer read CDs. I'm on my second CDZ that has been working fine for over 2 years now.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
neogeofl:
Master Terry Bogard:

I always got those dreaded I/O Errors on my previous 2 CDZ Systems. And one of them was Brand New that I bought back in April 1996 at Game Express in NYC. Games would load (most notebly Real Bout Fatal Fury) and get to 75% and then "BAM" the I/O Error. That sucked.
And that is precisely why I am hesitant to drop the $250+ for one. Yes, the compact size looks alluring, and the faster loads on the older games really makes me want one, but if I started having I/O errors.. it would kill me.

So I guess for the time being I will stick with my original Top-loader.

BIG

sony fanboy
Go with the original NGCD.It's built to last and it's also cheaper.

I've always wanted a CDZ unit myself,but I can never find one at a good price.

neogeofl

Lurker, ,
B.I.GPSYCHE:
Go with the original NGCD.It's built to last and it's also cheaper.

I've always wanted a CDZ unit myself,but I can never find one at a good price.
I have to stick with my NGCD System for right now. Cannot afford a CDZ, my wife is not letting me spend any money right now. frown

trimer34

Quiz Detective
If I get one I would get the CDZ
The only thing that I feel a bit concern about is the over heating
problem that those systems have

Maybe getting a better fan that doesn't use less power
to keep the thing cold ..:)

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
I got rid of my NGCD Top Loader and all dozen or so games. Get the CDZ. Any increase in loadtime will be better than what the normal NGCD offers. It's so god aweful horrible that I couldn't even stand to look at it anymore...good riddance!

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
Load times never bothered me. But then again I play my fighters on AES. Metal Slug on cd can be a bit paiful tho :(

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
The CDZ all the way. The load times are definitely just enough for it to be more bearable. 30 second loading sessions dropped to 18 seconds is fucking worth it. In some cases, 10 second loading dropped to 3 seconds. This tends to happen with win screens or demos during a game.

As long as you get a good working conditioned system, you will be fine. If buying from an owner that plays it himself, ask if it runs perfect before getting it. I have never had overheating issues with my system and only had the disc I/O error happen 4 times in the first 3 years of playing it quite a bit. Three of the times it was my used KOF 96. After those 3 years, every now and then I played it a bit, then put it away and had no disc I/O errors. So if you get a good system, you will be OK.

Plus, the top loader has minor graphical lines slanting to the right on the screen when using composite or S-video. For those who say otherwise, I saw the lines with my system and the cousin of a friend of mines system. They were very noticeable to me, so it bothered me a bit when there were solid BG colors.