SS4 CD: What happened??

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Just recieved my SS4 CD. Thanks Bluevoodu! (great seller!)

Now, onto the actual game itself;

After playing SS3, I was astounded at the work SNK had done for this disc. Little to no cuts in animation, GREAT music using a lot of crisp sounding instruments, wonderful between load animations and reasonable load times in general (Im patient). An overall worthy purchase and the best (now I know) Samurai Shodown package is still SS3 on CD.

Now, what happened to SS4? Bad loads, extensively cut animation, music off cue, music is simply OK (better on cart!) and the load screens suck in comparison to SS3. Still, it's a fun game to play and better than the ports I have had the experience to play.

What do you guys think??

Edit: damn dumn mistake.

<small>[ June 01, 2003, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: Rade Kuruc ]</small>

Plisken

Snaaaaaaake!,
mine should be here on Tuesday morning, will post impressions then.

Got it for a bargain price, only £10 complete, so i won't be to dissapointed.

B

blade_of_grass

Having only played SS4 on the Neo Geo CD, would someone please tell me what animation cuts / deletions were made to this game between the CD version and the MVS / AES cart version?

Bluevoodu

Kyokugen's Student
Plisken:
mine should be here on Tuesday morning, will post impressions then.

Got it for a bargain price, only £10 complete, so i won't be to dissapointed.
you stole it from someone lol :)

I didn't think the ss4 was that bad on the neo CD.... but I just think as a whole that game was not as good as 1,2,or 3.

not sure why it would be worse on the CD..... UNLESS the loads would have been worse with all the other things in there.

long live ss3 though :) and ss1,2

†B†V†

Rade K

20 Year Member
blade_of_grass:
Having only played SS4 on the Neo Geo CD, would someone please tell me what animation cuts / deletions were made to this game between the CD version and the MVS / AES cart version?
Best way to illustrate this is to DL the SS4 rom, pick Genjuro, and start to walk backwards. Look at that animation!

Now, do the same in SS4 CD. Chopp-socky tastic. Choppy animation.

SS3 CD didnt have these kind of cuts.

Essentially, any non-essential animation on SS4 CD were removed for the sake of faster loading times.

In comparrison, LB2 has kept a lot more animation intact, but you pay with INSANE load times. Bring a book and cut the demos.

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
Erm SS4 music on cart is shite compared to the Cd version.....i do not like the pan pipes on the cart version!!

BenimaruN

Overtop Pathfinder
personally, i like the ss4 cd port, mainly 'cause i just got it (heh, heh).

but as far as nit picking goes, i'm sure there is plenty of things someone can bitch about. i, however, prefer to compare the neo geo cd games to the playstation ports (which were the original way for myself to experience neo geo "goodness"). by going this route, all neo cd games become masterpieces by default, and all my purchases seem worthwhile, heh heh heh...

ps: i also don't do much walking backwards with genjuro, so i can't comment

BenimaruN

Overtop Pathfinder
...pick Genjuro, and start to walk backwards...
ok, did that.

sorry man, can't say i notice anything even missing. nothing even remotely funny looking.

the thing i just noticed, was that the chars don't move during the char select screen (real sharp of me don't ya think?). that's always a concern of mine whenever i play ports.

SEGA_X

Ninja Combat Warrior
I have the Neo cd version of Samurai sho 4 for my neo geo cd system and I LIKE IT MORE
than the psx ver though I play the sat ver more than the neo cd ver but I bought the neo cd
ver first saturn sec a month ago the psone snk best collection ver.
overall the saturn ver of the game is my favorite

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
Well they had to take up all the extra room on the SS4 NGCD for the SSRPG AD :)

But really the NGCD System has always been pushed with memory issue and if you look at some of the additons between ss3 and ss4

1. SS4 added the Dramatic mode which bring us a whole new Background
2. Larger character selection.
3. Double life bar
4. the a,b,c,a,b,c,d,d,d combo (if i remember right)

so basically when loading they have to assume you are using the largest character (size wise) vs the second largest character. a character includes animations as well as sound effects for that character. then add in the additonals needed space like the drama screen background. (I forget if the NGCD system pauses to load it in or not)

As far as load times are concerened SNK just got batter at manage the loads. Look at how long it takes to load up KOF 94.

The biggest thing I noticed in the difference in Between SS4 NGCD vs the NGH version was the sound chops the did on Hanzos. there are some missing frames but it did not stick out as much.

<small>[ June 11, 2003, 08:16 AM: Message edited by: Big Bruno ]</small>

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
I just got the NGCD of this game, and I have to say I really like it. The loads are very reasonable, and the remixed soundtrack is amazing. It's just as playable as I remember it being in the arcade.

As for missing frames of animation, I have never been one to nitpick about that. Sure, I notice little things once in awhile, but when I consider the cost involved with NGCD games it's not an issue.

I have an SSIV MVS cart coming soon though, so it may spoil me on playing the CD version.. we'll see.

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
<small>[ June 20, 2003, 04:11 AM: Message edited by: Lee Gray ]</small>

Rade K

20 Year Member
Regardless of you all (I love you, no worries) I feel the SS4CD is a rather less than stellar product, especially next to SS3CD which is a better product on all levels anyways. Maybe my bias blinded me. It's time to vacation.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Rade Kuruc:
Regardless of you all (I love you, no worries) I feel the SS4CD is a rather less than stellar product, especially next to SS3CD which is a better product on all levels anyways. Maybe my bias blinded me. It's time to vacation.
There are cuts in SS4 CD, but the gameplay basics are there. To be honest I don't play SS4 very often, I prefer 2 and 3, so there may be some anim cuts that I'm not aware of, but all in all, it's a, uhm, nice 'port' to the CD system compared to ports of the Samsho games to other platforms; for ex. SS4 on PSX was crap IMO.

One of the few SS-ports I really enjoyed was the Genny version of SS1. Most ppl don't like it, but I put countless hours in it.

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
The Legendary LoneWolf said:
also dont forget you get the little story told in between fights with a pic and text
:mad: WHY:mad: BUMP:mad: A:mad: THREE:mad: YEAR:mad: OLD:mad: THREAD?!:mad:

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
Cause I just discovered it and ur mad at that, :rolleyes: , mad you need a fuck a man or whatever ur into
I was just trying to rattle your cage. Pity humor never goes that well over the internet.
Sad that your poor taste is just as bad as your posting posture.

SSS

neo retired
also dont forget you get the little story told in between fights with a pic and text

For the hudredth fucking time, fighters ARE NOT rpgs. :rolleyes:

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
Cause I just discovered it
Using that logic, I should go search all the threads from '03 and earlier and post in them just becuase I feel like adding a little comment...

Given the age of this thread, and the fact that nothing really earth-shattering was added to it I'd have to agree with Kagerousama. Now someone lock this mess.
:make_fac:

SSS

neo retired
Would it be possible for a mod to disable TLLW from posting in threads that are older than 6 months?

The majority of his replies are like a flourescent light trying to flicker on with a bad starter anyway.....

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Now I've never said this before, and I know a lot of people do jokingly, but seriously, ban.

Please.

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
Now that the thread's been bumped...

How does the Saturn port compare to the NGCD version?

Like Tak mentioned a few posts up (and three years ago - thank you for your mad thread bumping skillz LLW), the Playstation port was abysmal.

The Saturn version is the only version that I have besides the ROM. I know that some of the animation is missing (specifically in the BG's) and that the sound / music is sometimes a bit inferior, but otherwise it was a solid port.

If the NGCD version is missing animation too, I'm curious as to just how different the two versions are.

Wolferaizer

Gal Ageise's Demon
dont care
i got the game
beg ur pardon, what cut?
SS4 rock my dick, better than SS3
cant play on NGCD coz mine broke, its on my PSP
now fuck off

:tickled: