KOF 2000-2002

I bet this will sound like a really dumb question but why didn't KOF 2000-2002 ever come out on Neo Geo CD? I can obviously imagine that the load times would be awful but they were never good anyway?

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
Why support a dead system?
Oh wait.

Just kidding; no one kill me. multi_co

I'm pretty sure its a mix between the fact that after 99, the CD was pretty much history in terms of---well, everything; added to the fact that due to memory amounts/loading times, the new ports would be almost unplayable.

Have you played '99 on the Neo CD?

cgun

Fio's Quartermaster
Well, try out Last Blade 2 and go figure. I wouldn´t want to wait a whol minute before every fight. Especially not in a team based fighter.

Another guess is that the sales for CD-games wasn´t as good as expected.

corbo 2

Genjuro's Frog
I think because the load times would be that big it would be unplayable.Shame though,it is a good idea the CD,but if it had quick load times (more ram) it would of been so good,god like.

Shame as i thought they would be loads more games for cheap and more of them crying

Thanks for that guys, thats pretty much what i thought........... thank god for the Dreamcast and very wuick load times :D

KOF 2002 in a week!

Clessy

Banned
Why support a dead system?
Oh wait.

Just kidding; no one kill me. multi_co

I'm pretty sure its a mix between the fact that after 99, the CD was pretty much history in terms of---well, everything; added to the fact that due to memory amounts/loading times, the new ports would be almost unplayable.

Have you played '99 on the Neo CD?
First let me say for bumping an old topic but, im getting a cdz soon and listening to all my neo cd games in my cd player right now so im ampped as hell about the cd.

Honestly though kof 99 is about as big as kof games got and about as good looking as they got. The system was maxed there with only maybe a few titles like Mark of wolves and maybe metal slug 3 being just more impressive.

I dont think any of the kofs would of been worse than 99 I think they reason they stopped was no market for the cd.

Also the real mistake in the cd besides is speed was not having enough games made for just the cd. They defanitly should of made more cd only games.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
They stopped because they went bankrupt, did you seriously not know that?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Who knows, they probably lost the source code for that, too.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Who knows, they probably lost the source code for that, too.

Why do so many of these Japanese companies lose their source code? I know Sega has a pretty bad habbit of doing this as well.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Who knows, maybe it's the programmer's form of "job security" and then they get fired and take the code and leave no traces.

SuperDeadite

Zero's Tailor
I think it's more of a cultural thing. The Japanese just love to throw away things that might be "old". Often stuff that is useful. I've seen tons of pristine condition furniture, clothing, electronics, bikes, etc all end up in the neighborhood garbage area. So why not your source code? People just have a habit of dumping the old for the new. I think it might have to do with Shinto ideals of renewal. Most Shinto shrines are torn down and rebuilt every 10 years or so.

Clessy

Banned
Why do so many of these Japanese companies lose their source code? I know Sega has a pretty bad habbit of doing this as well.

Shit Sega didnt even know they had a complete archive room in there headquaters. It has a copy of every Sega game made never opened.

If you forget about a damn room like this then how can you possably keep up with source code.

trimer34

Quiz Detective
I guess I would be sleeping by the time the CD unit fully load
KOF 2000/2002

Of course I would have played the game 100s of times on my PSP
or PC before i go to bed :D
(I just sold my kof 2001 2002)

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Sega's source code for DC must still be available, since people are still churning out homebrews for the system nearly a decade after its demise.