Businesses you don't frequent out of principle

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Gamestop - For all reasons mentioned. In addition they sell their used consoles in blue boxes that you cannot open prior to purchase, effectively preventing you from knowing what you're getting. Not a good business practice.

If you ask, more often than not they'll open it for you - albeit behind the counter so theres less of a chance of you grabbing it and running off.

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
Most of these internet fueled boycotts are complete bullshit.

Papa John did nothing wrong, just like the Netflix guy. He said an offensive word during a meeting discussing offensive words.

I'm pretty sure if you look hard enough, you could find a reason to boycott most major corporations.

It's like that scene from Curb Your Enthusiasm. It's hilarious.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
The main one is Walmart, but if I'm being really honest, although it started out as a boycott of their corporate practices back when I was a wide-eyed college student, at this point it has at least as much to do with the fact that I'm a snob and I just don't like that place.

I think that Gamestop fucking sucks and they do things that piss me off, but again I think the snobbery has more to do with why I won't go in there.

Other places mentioned in the thread that I have never visited include Jimmy John's and Chick-fil-A, but in both cases it's just something that I've never gotten around to doing, and not some kind of boycott. Jimmy John's just doesn't look like something that I want to eat, and in the two small towns where I spend 99.9% of my time, we don't have a Chick-fil-A. John Schnatter is a huge piece of shit regardless of what happened with the whole n-word thing, but more importantly their pizza is complete garbage.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I boycotted Starbucks when the Sonics was stolen from OKC.
I avoid Best Lies in store as much as possible, i seem to always have a bad experience with them.
I haven't bought anything from Jack in the Box in over 10 years since i got food poisoning from them.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
This seems kinda bullshit and I never eat there. Wasn't the whole thing that the owner of the company being religious made it clear he simply didn't approve of gay relationships? If that's all he's done then I don't see a problem as the man is entitled to his own opinion even if I don't agree with it.

Wasn't there a story where some guy who was an executive got his ass fired for SJWing the shit out of woman at a Chik-Fil-A drive-thru while filming himself?

I'll be honest.. I support their right to marry, but not as much as I enjoy a good chicken sandwich.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I'll be honest.. I support their right to marry, but not as much as I enjoy a good two orders of 12 count chicken nuggets with waffle fries and a big styrofoam cup of sweet ass lemonade
fixed for accuracy

-SD-

Camel Slug
GAME, McDonald’s, KFC and I’m probably not going to purchase any more Apple products either.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
You guys are taking this thread beyond its scope with your boycotts. This is about places you don't frequent - out of principle. Like, on principle, you only go there sometimes.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Papa John did nothing wrong, just like the Netflix guy. He said an offensive word during a meeting discussing offensive words.

You're joking, right?

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
You're joking, right?

Schnatter was quoted as saying, "Colonel Sanders called blacks niggers and Sanders never faced public outcry". So yeah maybe he said it in a meeting about not saying naughty things, but what context can you put that in that doesn't paint Schnatter in a bad light? That's like if the Archbishop of Boston was quoted out-of-context as saying "Back in the 50's priests molested kids and never faced public outcry." Context not needed.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
I'm pretty sure if you look hard enough, you could find a reason to boycott most major corporations.

Uhhh yeah. You probably couldn't spend yer $ anywhere if you looked at any company hard enough. I ain't got time for that shit so I just go by how I'm treated by companies. And on that front Amazon/Wendy's/McD's can all fuck off. Not spent any $ at those places in years.

Regal Cinemas is kinda on my not fond of list. But now that AMC has their A-List program I've got not much reason to hit Regal up so is fine.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
A buddy of mine who grew up in KY and worked at one of the OG Papa John's during HS told me about what a piece of shit that guy is. And that was long before he was upset at NFL players kneeling or dropping N bombs. Also, yes, the pizza is absolute shit. I ordered it once after they opened a store in Chicago and everything was so fucking sweet, including the breadsticks for some odd reason.

Tacitus

Staff member
A buddy of mine who grew up in KY and worked at one of the OG Papa John's during HS told me about what a piece of shit that guy is. And that was long before he was upset at NFL players kneeling or dropping N bombs. Also, yes, the pizza is absolute shit. I ordered it once after they opened a store in Chicago and everything was so fucking sweet, including the breadsticks for some odd reason.

There’s a certain level of success that is achieved only after you have discarded certain societal and cultural norms. Once you’ve accepted that, the world becomes a much easier place to live. It exploitative.

There are no true “good guys” in that circle.

Tacitus

Staff member
Schnatter was quoted as saying, "Colonel Sanders called blacks niggers and Sanders never faced public outcry". So yeah maybe he said it in a meeting about not saying naughty things, but what context can you put that in that doesn't paint Schnatter in a bad light? That's like if the Archbishop of Boston was quoted out-of-context as saying "Back in the 50's priests molested kids and never faced public outcry." Context not needed.

So basically, he was saying “100 years ago, you could get away with this”, in the context of offensive things he’s paid the price for.

Meh, sucks to be him.

I think we are overly PC and ridiculous at this point but you also have to understand your audience and clientele.

CrackerMessiah

Fu'un-Ken Master
Sony - i had my reasons.

What happened to them?

Hobby Lobby. Despite what the law now apparently says (in part thanks to this company) I do believe that employers need to provide a full menu of healthcare to women.

That was the pitch, but the home run was when their leadership was caught paying ISIS for rare old Christian antiquities.

The main one is Walmart, but if I'm being really honest, although it started out as a boycott of their corporate practices back when I was a wide-eyed college student, at this point it has at least as much to do with the fact that I'm a snob and I just don't like that place.

I think that Gamestop fucking sucks and they do things that piss me off, but again I think the snobbery has more to do with why I won't go in there.

Other places mentioned in the thread that I have never visited include Jimmy John's and Chick-fil-A, but in both cases it's just something that I've never gotten around to doing, and not some kind of boycott. Jimmy John's just doesn't look like something that I want to eat, and in the two small towns where I spend 99.9% of my time, we don't have a Chick-fil-A. John Schnatter is a huge piece of shit regardless of what happened with the whole n-word thing, but more importantly their pizza is complete garbage.

The stories of WalMart "associates" having to visit food pantries on Thanksgiving - or the store asking patrons to donate food to the store's own employeesthanks to low wages - really drove the final nail in that coffin.

Schnatter strikes me as a textbook example of a U.S. capitalist: as long as you're profiting, you're beyond shame or reproach. His attitude towards employees seems to range from apathy to annoyance, as evidenced by his attitudes on employer-paid healthcare or wages. While he says that most of his drivers don't earn minimum wage, which may be technically true, the company's own 10K filing says, page 18, "A significant number of hourly personnel are paid at rates close to the federal and state minimum wage requirements" under the Risk Factors section. (By the way - that 10K has more information if you're at all curious.) The latest charge of racism is just one more affirmation of that apathy.

I personally think Papa John's makes a serviceable pizza, but thankfully, I can sacrifice variety for a cleaner conscious by getting a pizza from Costco. As for GameStop? Their long-term future is anywhere you can't find good and stable internet connections.

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
TIL that the word "nigger" is "vaguely offensive".

Status
Not open for further replies.