offical wwe thread

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Fun fact: Asuka/Kana booked that entire show and she WANTED Suzuki to brutalize her. I'd say given her Wrestlemania shot right now, it paid off.

It honestly doesn't surprise me that she booked it that way. She probably saw it as a badge of honor.

I mean...at one point, he actually spat in her face. I thought it was going to turn into a snuff film.

That is why I say Suzuki is more scary. I know it's a work but the dude is legit frightening as an in ring talent.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Lucha Underground has had some pretty brutal mixed gender matches.

just a few highlights of one of many such matches

famicommander

15 Year Member
Lucha Underground and Impact are doing a crossover show at Wrestlemania weekend, which they will stream live on Twitch.

ROH is doing a three show tour of England and Scotland in May. There will be NJPW stars at the shows but it's not a co-promoted major crossover tour ala War of the Worlds or Global Wars.

famicommander

15 Year Member
ROH Manhattan Mayhem was a good show.

Match of the night was Jay Lethal and Ultimo Guerrero vs Dalton Castle and Volador Jr. You guys should really check it out if you can. He's fat, he's in his mid 40s, and he has a ridiculous mullet but god damn can Ultimo Guerrero still go. He had the crowd eating out of his hands and he displays a high degree of athleticism for a man his age and size.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Two more championships coming to WWE: Cruiserweight Tag Team and NXT North American.

So now they have

Universal Championship
WWE Championship
NXT Championship
Intercontinental Championship
United States Championship
Cruiserweight Championship
UK Championship
NXT North American Championship
Raw Tag Team Championship
Smackdown Tag Team Championship
Cruiserweight Tag Team Championship
NXT Tag Team Championship
Raw Women's Championship
Smackdown Women's Championship
NXT Women's Championship

15 titles is a shitload of titles.

CMLL has countless titles too, but that's because they do boxing style weight classes and title changes are very rare. But even still, way too many.

NJPW has too many:
IWGP Heavyweight
IWGP Junior Heavyweight
IWGP Intercontinental
IWGP United States
NEVER Openweight
IWGP Tag Team
IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team
NEVER Openweight Six Man

They should drop the weight classes. Unify the IWGP Heavyweight, Jr Heavyweight, and NEVER Openweight belts. Unify the IWGP and IWGP Jr Heavyweight tag belts.

ROH is right where they should be:
World Championship
World Television Championship
World Tag Team Championship
World Six Man Tag Team Championship
Women of Honor Championship

I might like to see them bring back the Pure Championship, especially if they get Bryan Danielson later this year, but no more titles after that.

famicommander

15 Year Member
They should.

You're telling me you don't think Kushida and Tanahashi could have an amazing match? Okada and Dragon Lee? Naito and Will Ospreay? Kenny Omega and Hiromu Takahashi? Liger and Nagata? Ishii and Jon Gresham? Flip Gordon and Trent Barretta? Toru Yano and Rysuke Taguchi?

The Jr Heavyweight title is treated as a lesser accomplishment than the Heavyweight title, putting an artificial ceiling on what some of the most talented guys on the roster can do.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
They should.

You're telling me you don't think Kushida and Tanahashi could have an amazing match? Okada and Dragon Lee? Naito and Will Ospreay? Kenny Omega and Hiromu Takahashi? Liger and Nagata? Ishii and Jon Gresham? Flip Gordon and Trent Barretta? Toru Yano and Rysuke Taguchi?

The Jr Heavyweight title is treated as a lesser accomplishment than the Heavyweight title, putting an artificial ceiling on what some of the most talented guys on the roster can do.

You're suggesting fewer belts, but the same amount of mouths to feed. Think Okada is losing that belt any time soon? Probably not. So what does it do for Kushida, Liger, or an Ospreay to climb up the ladder, and have no hardware to show for it? Narrow the road to success, and you'll either get a hot potato situation or a tired, predictable promotion. When you have different avenues for different types of wrestlers, each champion can shine in their own way.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
Ok so half of the Honor Club members are in the black and Spectrum Cable feed also went out.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Quigg vs Valdez tonight, but Quigg didn't make weight so if he wins they'll vacate Valdez's title

But the big one is Garcia vs Lipinets. can't wait to see that

edit:

meant to put this in the boxing thread. oh well.

famicommander

15 Year Member
How do they justify that?

I don't follow boxing anymore but that seems strange.

They have to weigh in before the fight. If one guy doesn't make weight, they either cancel the fight or compensate the other fighter monetarily. But either way, the champ has to defend his belt and if someone who isn't in that weight class beats him, the belt becomes vacant until someone else wins it in a fight between the #1 and #2 contenders.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
To the utter shock of absolutely no one, Jeff Hardy drove drunk and wrecked his car over the weekend.

JoeAwesome

To the utter shock of absolutely no one, Jeff Hardy drove drunk and wrecked his car over the weekend.

Rumor is he'll be edited out of "Ultimate Deletion," and judging from the recent promo, I think he will be.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I'm digging the Mixed Match Challenge.

I love that it's just house show shenanigans. I feel that the regular WWE product is lacking in this kind of fun.

JoeAwesome

I'm digging the Mixed Match Challenge.

I love that it's just house show shenanigans. I feel that the regular WWE product is lacking in this kind of fun.

Very much agreed. A house show is a different experience, for any fans who haven't gone to one. A better one, I feel.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Mixed tag matches where the men and women don't fight each other are dumb and have no tension.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Well...they all can't be like Lucha Underground where all men and women are equal targets in the ring ;)

Why?

It's all fake anyway. Is Gail Kim beating Rockstar Spud less believable than Rey Mysterio beating Big Show?

Either keep the men and women separate entirely or let them fight each other. Stupid half measures never work.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Why?

It's all fake anyway. Is Gail Kim beating Rockstar Spud less believable than Rey Mysterio beating Big Show?

Either keep the men and women separate entirely or let them fight each other. Stupid half measures never work.

Your rational viewpoint on fake fighting will not protect it from the tragic misunderstanding of social media and public perception. TNA and Lucha Underground can get away with it because they are niche. They are not mainstream, publicly traded companies like WWE.

We do not live in rational times. We live in times where a heel can't be portrayed as a racist without the writers being criticized for writing a bad guy to be an asshole.

famicommander

15 Year Member
WWE puts real life woman beaters in their fucking hall of fame. They don't give a shit about perception.

They just named a tournament after The Fabulous Moolah, who sexually abused, robbed, and pimped out female wrestling prospects to secure bookings for herself for decades.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
WWE puts real life woman beaters in their fucking hall of fame. They don't give a shit about perception.

They just named a tournament after The Fabulous Moolah, who sexually abused, robbed, and pimped out female wrestling prospects to secure bookings for herself for decades.

So they conveniently ignore things to highlight what they want people to believe. So they manipulate their own promotions and leave out the ugly parts and don't talk about them.

You are in the minority of people who remember this stuff because this organization can throw anything down the memory hole that they want.

You are Winston.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
"After further consideration, we believe it's best to proceed with the name 'WrestleMania Women's Battle Royal.' What remains most important is that this historic match is part of WWE's unwavering commitment to the Women's Division."

famicommander

15 Year Member
They're so committed to the women's division that the biggest women's match at Wrestlemania is a sideshow attraction mixed gender tag match featuring an authority figure vs a washed up MMA fighter.

JoeAwesome

"After further consideration, we believe it's best to proceed with the name 'WrestleMania Women's Battle Royal.' What remains most important is that this historic match is part of WWE's unwavering commitment to the Women's Division."

Glad they changed the name. Who seriously thought naming it after Moolah was a good idea, or that it'd fly in this climate?