CRT Fetish Thread

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Those are some really nice monitors people. Though that Sharp FC1 takes the cake.

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
That's a great screen! Congrats.

Thanks bro. It fits just right in the living room and the gf doesn't complain because of that slim tube design. Not the case with my previous BVM :D

Heres one from my PVM-20L4
15267734_1819954791581321_5264929777991407459_n_zpsm8ryvvvz.jpg

And another one from my Sharp SF1
13474943_1742660479310753_3391663784269669696_o_zpsdnsf7eu4.jpg

Those are some really nice monitors people. Though that Sharp FC1 takes the cake.

That Sharp is a beauty. Have you done any repairs to it? BVM>all CRTs and I miss mine but man those things are beasts in terms of the space they take up. Nice selection mate.

K1ngArth3r

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Holy rainbow riding Christ, the SF1. No words man.

LOL

That Sharp is a beauty. Have you done any repairs to it? BVM>all CRTs and I miss mine but man those things are beasts in terms of the space they take up. Nice selection mate.

Lucky for me I managed to get this some years back now from someone who bought it NEW already imported to the UK.

It was from an import shop in Nottingham originally.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
LOL

Lucky for me I managed to get this some years back now from someone who bought it NEW already imported to the UK.

It was from an import shop in Nottingham originally.

Talk about a perfect situation to snag something so amazing!!

Does anyone here know anything about the Sony kx 2501a profeel? I might be able to snag one to mess around with. It looks like it has the weird "RGB multi input"

00u0u_3pw2aRVfyZB_1200x900.jpg

IMG_3674_zps3vufxrwx.jpg

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Checking in the Sharp SF-1 club! Pictured below is the 21G, also got the 14G and the super rare PC-Engine console + CRT combo unit.

Famicom Sharp CRT combo unit also below

BeFunky%20Collage_zpsrq3mq1m4.jpg~original

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Help me brethren, for I have become an addicted hoarder...

OEDueCw.jpg

I picked up two more PVMs on ebay, a 1450MD and a 14M2E, in November and October, for €20 and €45 shipped respectively. Just couldn't say no at those prices...

We really don't have the space, so I'll have to sell off/give away one of them, one will go to my parents house for storage and I'll keep the third one here for gaming.

[I only have one SCART->BNC breakout cable, so I got a set of BNC cables to connect a second monitor at the same time. Since I'll never run 3 monitors with the same signal, another set would've been overkill... So you're seeing my PAL NES (composite) on the 14L3 I bought last year.]

The differences are hardly noticeable. So this is a tough choice.

1450MD
elKBxOP.jpg

14M2E
IIzotSs.jpg

14L3 (composite, RGB here)
Spoiler:
0SBa47i.jpg

All three have a stunning output overall. My only gripe is that on the 1450MD red isn't correctly aligned, so that some red sometimes shines through below the pixels in the upper left corner. And there is a slight shift in the picture in that corner (same on the 14L3 but without the misalignment of red).
The picture of the 1450MD is the sharpest of the bunch though, followed closely by the 14L3. The picture is shifted to the right on the 1450MD slightly, so there are some pixels cut off and some of the screen remains blank. This should just be a question of proper adjustment I think.

What I like better about the 1450MD and 14M2E compared to the 14L3 is that Brightness/Contrast can be aligned easily with knobs, while you have to open a OSD menu and push clicky buttons on the 14L3.

As it stands I think I'll keep the 14L3 and the 14M2E. The former here, the latter in storage... the color sheme of the 1450MDs case fits into the flat better though :keke:

Last edited:

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Clearly the only sensible option is to buy a new house to store your fancy videogame boxes in.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
Whichever PVM/BVM/RGB CRT is your main isn't going to last forever. Why not put your extras away in "storage" in a closet or whatever until your current unit dies? That's what I do.

fille1976

Crossed Swords Squire
i just buyed a sony kv-14lm1e,and i have 3 sony pvm 2730 qm here.
and for my dreamcast-psx-ps2 i use a sony pstv,it have nice quality picture.
and with pstv i mean tv with ps2 build in.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Whichever PVM/BVM/RGB CRT is your main isn't going to last forever. Why not put your extras away in "storage" in a closet or whatever until your current unit dies? That's what I do.
sure, I'd love to do that, but my space is limited.

and for my dreamcast-psx-ps2 i use a sony pstv,it have nice quality picture.
and with pstv i mean tv with ps2 build in.
but that's no CRT right? 22" LCD IIRC...

Last edited:

segasonicfan

Camel Slug
Looks great dude.

Thanks guys! It was a helluva mod that took me about a week to finish. But they don't make super small 9" RGB monitors like this, at least not in the USA. So it's a one of a kind. and so lightweight and portable! I love it.

The service menu it has is sweeeeeet too. I was able to adjust vertical hold for PAL input (er, 50hz RGB from SCART)

-Segasonicfan

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer

ultimately thats what id like to do as well but PVMs are getting harder to come by for the price im willing to pay. i would like to at least secure one spare 19 and 14 inch monitor though.

im sure one will present itself to me eventually :)

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
All of you guys in the US hoarding all of them huge PVMs, while we down here have to pay like $100 for a 13" one. I totally love it, but at that price I could have got a 20" one in the US. Oh, well...

fille1976

Crossed Swords Squire
@xsq

no,i have sony kv-14lm1e and sony kv-14lt1b,both have flatscreen and are crt and trinitron.
my sony pvm needs maintenance,so i called sony belgium.
they gona fix it next year.
but those 2 tv's are exellent quality,im surprised about it

NERDtendo

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
Got a free TV today. It's a 36" SONY WEGA Trinitron HDTV with HDMI. It's not widescreen, but it looks great!

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Got a free TV today. It's a 36" SONY WEGA Trinitron HDTV with HDMI. It's not widescreen, but it looks great!

This is a great TV. Im still holding on to my 27" Wega. Have at my parents house, in the basement. It isn't worth shit and is a pain in the ass to move so I decided to keep it as a back up. When the pvm's go, the wega will be the last resort.

Great tv though.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
All of you guys in the US hoarding all of them huge PVMs, while we down here have to pay like $100 for a 13" one. I totally love it, but at that price I could have got a 20" one in the US. Oh, well...

The days of $100 20" inch pvm's here in the US are over. You gotta be looking hard and be lucky to find a deal like that.