Arc System Works Acquires The Rights To River City Ransom And Double Dragon

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I played Super Dodge Ball NES obsessively when I was younger. I got pretty good at it. I have a conversion of SDB for Neo which I haven't played in awhile.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I played Super Dodge Ball NES obsessively when I was younger. I got pretty good at it. I have a conversion of SDB for Neo which I haven't played in awhile.

I still have it and will still play it on occasion...but the flicker and slowdown really kill a title that would be perfect if it were not for that element.

They essentially released the same game for the PC Engine and it is everything the NES version is not...sadly, it wasn't enough reason for me to keep that system.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Pretty cool to see something created relatively quickly too. I want some screenshots!

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Apparently it's actually for PS3:

Still great news.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Does this game feature a co-op/team mode? I see it supports 4 players.

And I didn't realize Arc made so many Kunio games on the 3Ds. They look pretty great for the most part. Perhaps some more games will find a console release.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Amazing! The only thing that could make this news better would be the announcement of a physical release.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Amazing! The only thing that could make this news better would be the announcement of a physical release.

Some day you will reach the higher plane, and the emotional release will satisfy your wiener.

Edit: Also, I saw the game features a level builder. Does PS3 allow you to download other people's levels?

Last edited:

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Pretty awesome news to see a release soon after arc got the rights.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Thanks for the heads-up. Will DL when I get the chance. Looks totally different from the DS game.

Can someone give impressions?

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
It's a 4 players competitive party game. The game consists of 4 types of events which you can read about here. There are tons of quirky details, moves and secrets to discover each time you play.

The differences between the NES version and the PS3 port are:

+ new unlockable teams and trophies
+ improved controls
+ balanced scoring system (you get penalized for attacking now as opposite to being rewarded points in the NES version)
+ extensive and detailed lists of moves and characters bio
+ nicely made menus
+ online play and easier access to 4 players
+ well done translation

- the backgrounds have more details now but the graphics used look cheap
- gameplay is a bit slower

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
So I picked up River City Sports Blah Blah Blah on Steam yesterday, and... am I the only one who thinks the whole thing is really, really stupid? I enjoyed River City Ransom, Nintendo World Cup, and the Neo Geo Super Dodgeball back in the day, but I had never played one of those never-localized Olympics games. I don't know. The gameplay's silly, and there's far too much exposition for my tastes. I feel like I'm playing Akiba's Trip all over again. I don't understand why this would be the first Kunio game they would make.

I'm glad they patched Guilty Gear Xrd yesterday, though. It rocks even harder now.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
So I picked up River City Sports Blah Blah Blah on Steam yesterday, and... am I the only one who thinks the whole thing is really, really stupid?

It was definitely my least enjoyed Kunio title, but since I liked Crash n' the Boys* so much, I had to cut it a lot of slack considering Blah Blah Blah had more ports than my beloved Crash and they're fairly similar games. They could have taken the same formula for this game, structured the gameplay like Kung Fu Chaos (Xbox title) and had themselves a solid contemporary party game. There have been games like this made since the original version 25 years ago, and many have improved on the formula. I can see where you're coming from, and this feels stuck in time.

*Crash n' the Boys was a localized olympic style game that came out a couple years after Blah Blah Blah. It's a definite improvement all around, which is why I always wondered why this game got more love.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Cross Country is actually one of my favourites in the series, and I definitely prefer it over Crash n' the Boys because it has a more free control (instead of mostly relying on mashing buttons rapidly) and simultaneous multiplayer gameplay. I can see why would someone not enjoy it at first, but the more you play it competitively with others and the more you learn the depth and secrets it offers (secret weapons, abilities, shortcuts ... etc), the more you will like it.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
River City Ransom gets a 3DS remake:

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/12/23/river-city-ransom-sp-gets-its-first-screenshots/

l_567904542fb52.jpg

l_56790454368ac.jpg

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
River City Ransom SP isn’t a remake, but a “revamp” of the original game, featuring new events, abilities, combos, and combos.

"You said 'rape' twice"

"I like rape"

"Kinky, sign here."
----
(I think I bought a Gamecube to play RCR Advance. Looking forward to hearing other platforms this may be released to)