Phoenix Sets, other customized romsets and CPS2 multigame device - Legality, morality, etc

ECZangief

The Real Al Bundy
giphy.gif

thieslo

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
This has been a very nice read seeing both sides. I have my thoughts on the matter, but regardless, I really appreciate the work that has been done by both darksoft and Razoola and have purchased things from both of them in the past.

Zangrief

Kula's Candy
Reminds me of Bill Gates' comments pertaining to Steve Jobs flipping out (on Gates) when Microsoft was going forward with their version of the mouse (which was invented by Xerox).
To paraphrase Gates' quote: "He was angry that he broke into a house and the tv set had already been stolen."

Zapf

n00b
It's all been covered now probably until the next time the phoenix sets are brought up in another 5 years time.

Just to reiterate the issue at hand was resolved days ago with darksoft and he agreed not to allow the phoenix edition sets to load. CPS2shock is happy, somone will no doubt quickly find a way around that limitation so in the end everyone gets what they want.

Love returns to the world.

can someone clarify, what is the appeal of loading a phoenix version of the rom instead of the original version? I'm going to assume you could load all regional variations of any cps2 rom you wanted anyway on the multicart; are people just super adamant about that jukebox?

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Their multicart does not work with the original encrypted ROMs, it only works with ROMs that are already decrypted.

Zapf

n00b
Their multicart does not work with the original encrypted ROMs, it only works with ROMs that are already decrypted.

like the avalaunch ones (or are those getting blocked as well). I'm just not seeing why anyone would want the phoenix roms in this particular case - the additions made to them only make sense in a non multicart situation.

Last edited:

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
like the avalaunch ones (or are those getting blocked as well). I'm just not seeing why anyone would want the phoenix roms in this particular case - the additions made to them only make sense in a non multicart situation.

Avalaunch is officially supporting the Multi-cart.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
@darksoft, serious question here. A lot of the morality/money discussion is centered around capcom not caring and not making money off cps2 anymore. Now hypothetically, lets say some company went through legal channels to acquire licenses for these games (i.e. capcom gets money) and republish them so they are are available today, would you still go ahead and continue making and distributing such a device like the cps2 multi game?