Controller suggestions

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
The Neo Hori requires cutting and drilling to fit a JLF in it. Just like the AES stick where you have to trim the plastic.

thanks xian xi i knew i would at least have to dremmel the plastic off the old case i was refering to the bracket on the stick its self if there was anything you had to do to it to make it fit cause it seems pretty long and it might hit the wall of the stick

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
thanks xian xi i knew i would at least have to dremmel the plastic off the old case i was refering to the bracket on the stick its self if there was anything you had to do to it to make it fit cause it seems pretty long and it might hit the wall of the stick

The mounting plate will be about 1.5" away from the wall so there is a lot of room.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
alright xian xi thats good info ive already got the old board desoldered and ive taken out the stick gonna wait for the parts to get here hopefully on friday before i do any cutting on the case i will be sure to post some pics once i get this thing finished

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
hopefully on friday before i do any cutting on the case i will be sure to post some pics once i get this thing finished
Take some pics while you're doing the modding, that'll help anyone atempting it in the future. I've been thinking about getting one of those Neo Fighting Stick IIs myself, so I'd apprechiate any info on how hard the stick mod actually is...

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
ok guys i am having a bit of a problem ive got the buttons all working but the stick doesnt work at all i am sure i am just missing something here is what i did i though it would work as it is a direct wire to the microswitches like the old one but obviously not
http://s1343.beta.photobucket.com/u..._22-47-19_146_zps87923445.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
thanks for the help in advance guys

Is there a reason why you aren't using the 5 pin connector for the stick? The connector from the hori for the stick is just 8 pins, 4 grounds and 4 signals. I just remove 3 of the grounds and used one of them.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Is there a reason why you aren't using the 5 pin connector for the stick? The connector from the hori for the stick is just 8 pins, 4 grounds and 4 signals. I just remove 3 of the grounds and used one of them.
well i thought that since there was a 8 wires i had to use them all haha im new to this kind of stuff but how do i figure out which which are grounds and which are the signals
appreciate it man thanks

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
yeah nvm man i got it figured out it was pretty obvious when i looked at the board which were the common grounds and which were the signals i will post up some pics soon with the stick all finished appreciate the help Xian

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
well guys i got it all finished my soldering skills suck but im pretty handy with most other things haha here is a couple pics special thanks to xian xi for the idea and the advice on how to do it your awesome man
parts used were a sanwa JLF-TP-8yt and sanwa OBSF 30mm buttons
http://s1343.beta.photobucket.com/u..._00-02-39_220_zps9675189b.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1 (inside stick)
http://s1343.beta.photobucket.com/u..._00-10-55_153_zpsf08007b8.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0 (finished product)

@xsq sorry man i didnt see your post till i was almost done but honestly it was a big pain in the ass and it took me about 6hrs to complete i just took my time cause ive never done anything like this before if you had experience doing this i bet you could do it in an hour or 2 but here is what i had to do. dremmel a post (this was the easiest thing to do) and all the plastic where the old stick was (except for the corners it made it a lot easier to line up for the drilling of the mounting screw holes) then i had to drill the circuit board holes bigger to take the new buttons and i also had to grind the terminals on the buttons a little cause they were still too big even after drilling the board and didnt think i could drill the holes any bigger without damaging the trace. I think what i would do next time is just file the terminals down more cause the bigger holes made the soldering a little harder (which i already suck at) however the mod was totally worth it this thing is awesome and it makes the fighting games on the neo much more enjoyable when you have a good quality stick so if you dont wanna end up spending a lot of time on a project this isnt for you but if you dont mind putting in some effort i think a lot of people could do this mod

Last edited:

Trevor spencer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
I just modded a HRAP stick , pretty simple once you get the hang of it , just wire a DB-15 to the original wiring

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
I just modded a HRAP stick , pretty simple once you get the hang of it , just wire a DB-15 to the original wiring

yeah i wanted to keep the turbo function and everything intact so thats why i used the old boards and such

@xian xi the new stick came with a metal mounting bracket which wouldnt fit in the case right so i took that off and used it as a template and mounted it to those holes i did have to go to the hardware store to get longer screws cause the ones that they used to hold the metal bracket on are not quite long enough to fit through the casing and into the nuts that are in this stick

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member

xsq

well guys i got it all finished my soldering skills suck but im pretty handy with most other things haha here is a couple pics special thanks to xian xi for the idea and the advice on how to do it your awesome man
parts used were a sanwa JLF-TP-8yt and sanwa OBSF 30mm buttons
http://s1343.beta.photobucket.com/u..._00-02-39_220_zps9675189b.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1 (inside stick)
http://s1343.beta.photobucket.com/u..._00-10-55_153_zpsf08007b8.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0 (finished product)

@xsq [...]
Sorry for digging up this thread, been gone for a while but felt I needed to say thanks to joe for the pics and "field report" ;) Congrats to your new stick, looks awesome! The soldering seems ok to me, as long as it works what's there to complain about.

I'll most def pick up a Hori Neo Stick to do this mod when I find one at a decent price.

@joe: do you use the auto fire function or why did you decide to leave those PCB boards in there? And why all that drilling ^^ wouldn't it be possible to put the button PCB somewhere else and connect it to the buttons with wires? Or even simpler, connect the buttons directly to the auto fire PCB? (Haven't figured out how auto fire works technically - yet - though. Guessing it can't be all that complex...)

P.S.:
here's gegragos pic:
33z5q4n.jpg

How'd you mount that acry glass on there? Did you just remove the metal plate?

Last edited:

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
@xsq hey bro yeah i would do a couple things differently if i did it again i would definitely relocate the button board and solder wires to it then just hook the wires up to the buttons if you just did that you wouldnt have to mess with drilling the holes out and your turbo function would be completely intact. The only thing would be figuring out where to mount the board i think if you hot glued it to the top of the case that would be the best way.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You only have to drill the holes slightly bigger to accommodate both Seimitsu and Sanwa buttons. Seimitsu will require the tabs to be bent toward the center then up so that they line up with the holes you drilled.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
You only have to drill the holes slightly bigger to accommodate both Seimitsu and Sanwa buttons. Seimitsu will require the tabs to be bent toward the center then up so that they line up with the holes you drilled.

you also have to bend the sanwas as well i just think it would be easier to relocate the board and use wires especially if you ever needed to change the buttons out again

groundzero

Cheng's Errand Boy
I want the CD joysticks or custom. I have kidney bean but has no whieght

Chukka

n00b
Do the sticks and the buttons of the Original AES Joystick and Hori Fighting Stick 1 and 2 wear out easily? If I buy a used one of each kind, will they more likely than not be usable right of the bat without any kind of modding or replacing of sticks and buttons? Which one will most likely be in the best shape? Which one would you recommend?

xsq

Both the Oldstyle and Hori sticks are quality products. Generally, the buttons don't wear out easily. You should simply be looking for overall shape when buying one. Which one you choose should mostly depend on how you would like to position your right hand while playing (look at the different button layouts). Also consider that the Hori Sticks come with arcade buttons, whereas the Oldstyle doesn't.