Neo Geo X Gold System details and price announced!

Surfsmurf

n00b
I thought they were using a proprietary format? I know it looked identical to SD, but is it actually?

Most likely its is bog-standard SD-cards; developing their own hardware would be extremely expensive. Likely just encrypted ROMs. Didn't that weird german article say this outright?

fenikso

Athena's Stalker
15 Year Member
Most likely its is bog-standard SD-cards; developing their own hardware would be extremely expensive. Likely just encrypted ROMs. Didn't that weird german article say this outright?
It seems I misunderstood their FAQ section.
What type of memory does the NEOGEO X handheld expandable game card slot take?
It uses specially formatted NEOGEO X Game Cards. Please check this website for the latest game information.

Liq_Wurm

Krauser's Henchman
looks like we may have to Build our own mini shock boxes after all.
Look in the the comments section in this youtube video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2yY37oxKeFU

Spoiler:
David Bruno says: While game cases would be cool, the NEOGEO X Game Cards will be sold on cards to my current knowledge. You have to factor in the high demand for retail shelf space, licensing costs, costs for product packaging, manual creation and printing costs, etc. Think of it as Tommo's way of going green. ;)

:emb:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Well, it looks like my ToysRUs stick order got cancelled. Shit. So what stores still have them for order? Is it just Target? I knew I should have preordered it with the system from Amazon when I had the chance, but I didn't know they'd sell out.

Dragon76

Cheng's Errand Boy
Thought this was interesting. I shared Seta's review on the Neogeox facebook page and it was removed. Not only that, but someone asked why and they stated they contacted me (haven't) and it was due to some review embargo thing? They also blocked me from posting on there now, kinda pissed me off. Since when did we ban free speech? I though I lived in a free country? Maybe their afraid of negative reviews influencing people's decision to buy. At any rate, figured I'd share.

Jbrodack

n00b
They just seem to be tightly controlling press until the system comes out. Not a big deal though does show they are taking the release seriously.

Dragon76

Cheng's Errand Boy
Looks like I'm able to post again on the neogeo x facebook page, weird. When I tried initially it wouldn't take. Has anyone heard of this review embargo thing? Where reviews aren't released until a product is? Just curious. Seems to me Tommo just doesn't want any reviews coming out before the units, which in my opinion is a bit sneaky, but understood.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I just want the sticks, so I can see if I can convert them to MVS and CD usage.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

It seems they are using microswitched sticks like the originals, the buttons will be the hard part. If nothing else, hopefully Sanwa/Seimitsu 24 mm buttons will fit in the holes and then you could just remove the PCBs and wire a Neo extension cable to the joystick's microswitches and the buttons.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Thought this was interesting. I shared Seta's review on the Neogeox facebook page and it was removed. Not only that, but someone asked why and they stated they contacted me (haven't) and it was due to some review embargo thing? They also blocked me from posting on there now, kinda pissed me off. Since when did we ban free speech? I though I lived in a free country? Maybe their afraid of negative reviews influencing people's decision to buy. At any rate, figured I'd share.

Post the review on Amazon.com instead.

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
I shared Seta's review on the Neogeox facebook page and it was removed. Not only that, but someone asked why and they stated they contacted me (haven't) and it was due to some review embargo thing?

That's kinda funny, but at the same time unfortunate. The embargo is actually a real thing and can be read about from everyone's favorite gaming comic:

http://penny-arcade.com/report/edit...s-of-review-game-embargoes-a-guide-to-what-it

I seriously wasn't supposed to say anything as under the agreement I couldn't publish it under my (real)name or as representation of whom I work for (hince why I said possibly today.. was looking for a loophole) aaaand I used the forum as a technical loophole as I knew this was the biggest demographic for purchase on the system.

What I'm going to do as CMA is I'm going to turn my back on this thread tonight, and whatever happens with what I posted happens.. but when I get done with errands/medication pickup/stupid activity of the day I will (unfortunately) hop on and remove it.

Post the review on Amazon.com instead.

If you guys wanna do it, go for it!

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
It's already been quoted for posterity in post 1657. Feel free to remove it at will.

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
David Bruno says: While game cases would be cool, the NEOGEO X Game Cards will be sold on cards to my current knowledge. You have to factor in the high demand for retail shelf space, licensing costs, costs for product packaging, manual creation and printing costs, etc. Think of it as Tommo's way of going green. ;)[/spoiler]

:emb:

Absolutely and completely lame.

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire
Absolutely and completely lame.

Yeah, that was a response to my comment of "Those future game cards better come in cases, not blisterpacks :)" I'd gladly see myself collecting all the releases if boxed at a $10-20 pricepoint, even if it's a glorified rom on an SD card. But when all you're getting is the SD card..I can't see much of a market for it.

Not that I really understand that justification. The X is online-only as it is, could boxed games not survive via online orders as the unit did? Licensing costs already exist to release the game on a card in the first place, would they need to license..the box?

DS Cases would be comparable, and go for 30-50 cents a piece for as little as 50 units. Who knows how cheap they'd get in actual bulk. Printing a cover surely wouldn't add much.

Dragon76

Cheng's Errand Boy
That's kinda funny, but at the same time unfortunate. The embargo is actually a real thing and can be read about from everyone's favorite gaming comic:

http://penny-arcade.com/report/edit...s-of-review-game-embargoes-a-guide-to-what-it

I seriously wasn't supposed to say anything as under the agreement I couldn't publish it under my (real)name or as representation of whom I work for (hince why I said possibly today.. was looking for a loophole) aaaand I used the forum as a technical loophole as I knew this was the biggest demographic for purchase on the system.

What I'm going to do as CMA is I'm going to turn my back on this thread tonight, and whatever happens with what I posted happens.. but when I get done with errands/medication pickup/stupid activity of the day I will (unfortunately) hop on and remove it.

If you guys wanna do it, go for it!

I didn't realize that was a real thing, and I apologize if I caused any trouble for you. I was just trying to inform the peeps and since you posted it, I figured it was ok to share.

Lee Gray

Better Than Krauser
20 Year Member
If only they had gone for the MVS option rather than AES as then there be no probs about censorship or limited continues, do hope someone comes up with a way to allow for better options.
Had this week off work too, so could have had some fun instead of being bored but hope the next 2 weeks go quick and it dont get delayed some more.

Last edited:

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
If only they had gone for the MVS option rather than AES as then there be no probs about censorship or limited continues

If I get one of those in Asia (presumably Jp version) will the games be censored?

If any third party comes up with an adapter for AES or NGCD (I simply don't want to mess with the wires), you can bet many of us will be loading and hoarding this thing. Remember how much people are willing to pay for even a rectangular controller in decent condition (let alone a new one)?

This thread is too long but any word on future release of more games on SD cards? Especially those not available on AES originally (Dodge Ball, Money Idol Exchanger, Bomberman, etc). SNK really should release all of the MVS-only titles, someone will have to revise the Master List.

edit:

I see that you can get standalone Neo-Geo X and Neo-Geo X Gold, will they offer joystick and dock as accessories?

Last edited:

Abster

Dodgeball Yakuza
Yeah, SS2 AES has a built in blood code, but for the other games censorship applies to it's a no go for me, which is disappointing considering it's actually a good deal for what you're getting.

Lee Gray

Better Than Krauser
20 Year Member
did the last blade AES games get censored or was the slicing in half kept in ? also shodown 3 and 4 as only ever owned first 2 on AES, rest on CD and MVS

DietSoap

n00b
What I'm going to do as CMA is I'm going to turn my back on this thread tonight

Of course it took 2 days for my account to be verified, JUST long enough so that I wouldn't be able to ask a question.

... Well, at any rate, please go into detail on the quality of the speakers on the handheld itself when you get to your final review, particularly the bass.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, I wouldn't be expecting too much bass out of 1/4 inch speakers.